Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clone

djcoak Guest

Clone

This may be a touchy subject but I am going to tip toe into it anyway. Much like the Impala SS has clone cars I wonder if there would be anyway to make a Marauder Clone out of a regular GM. I realize that much stuff would be different but with the production ending this year some might not have much choice. Of course the engine would be smaller and such but the possibility is there to produce a decent machine with good looks and be able to do it in stages as one's budget allowed. After all making something better is all part of hot rodding anyway!!!

Dave

Hmmmmm, I'm not sure what you meant by "clone". I thought that you were talking about something like a close duplicate or a kit car, but I don't see any reason for doing that when people will still be able to purchase a Crown Vic, get a set of Marauder wheels to throw on, and stainless steel exhaust tips, and it would atleast LOOK like a Marauder except ofcourse for the grill being a little different. And I'm sure there are ways around that too.

Quote Originally Posted by djcoak
    This may be a touchy subject but I am going to tip toe into it anyway. Much like the Impala SS has clone cars I wonder if there would be anyway to make a Marauder Clone out of a regular GM. I realize that much stuff would be different but with the production ending this year some might not have much choice. Of course the engine would be smaller and such but the possibility is there to produce a decent machine with good looks and be able to do it in stages as one's budget allowed. After all making something better is all part of hot rodding anyway!!!

Dave

Not really a touchy subject, just that the biffeances would be greater between a GM clone of a Marauder, and a Caprice clone of the Imp. You could get Caprises with the LT1.
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

that's a good point about the engine being the same LT1

djcoak Guest
    Thats EXACTLY what I am talking about. With the end of the Impala SS many people bought old caprice cop cars and made them look like the Impala SS. In many cases it actually turned out to be a better car than the original SS!

I am saying that to keep the Marauder tradition alive by hot rodding cars that are usually not hot rods. People light have to look to an alternative option to get a car like the Marauder.

Dave

djcoak Guest
    Thats true but a regular GM comes with a 4.6 right? That could still be modified. I am just looking at options in case I miss out on the Marauder and besides it might be fun taking a granny car and hopping it up!!!!

Building a sleeper is always a fun thing to do.
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

djcoak Guest
    I KNOW! I knew a guy had a Plymouth Volare he got from his grandma. It was that ugly forest green and 4 doors. He pulled the engine a souped it up but it looked pretty much stock until he hit the gas and then WOW HE WAS GONE!

Joshua, Texas (between Burleson & Cleburne)
    I'm not touchy about a cloning project at all. I guess I find it flattering... I saw a listing on eBay for a Crown Vic interior that the guy was getting rid of because of his Vic/Marauder project. I hope he lands here and shows us what he's done. No two of our modified Marauders are exactly the same- we steal ideas from each other all the time. There could be things on a "clone" that might translate to any Panther platform car. In my best Field of Dreams- If you build it, they will clone.

I KNOW! I knew a guy had a Plymouth Volare he got from his grandma. It was that ugly forest green and 4 doors. He pulled the engine a souped it up but it looked pretty much stock until he hit the gas and then WOW HE WAS GONE!
    My 340-powered, demin-interiored AMC Gremlin made a lot of beer money on Mustangs, T/As and Z28s back in the day...

djcoak Guest
    So the 4.6 in the GM could be modified I guess? I wonder how many of the performance products for the Marauder would swap over. I like the idea for exactly the reasons stated above. It would be a unique, one of a kind car and although maybe not a collectors item it would be the car I can modify to make it exactly what I want.

Their is nothing wrong with building a look a like.
    The difference between the Marquis and the Marauder is basically the motor.
    Seeing the mustangs use pretty much the same motor as the Marquis performance parts should not be hard to find.
    Superchargers are available for the Marquis and the Crown Vic if you had rather go that route. www.superchargersonline.com

If you decide to use a 2002 or earlier Marquis/Vic you will have a larger selection of (mustang) rims to choice from for your car.

You could also create your own "shaker" hood or make other changes to your liking, have fun with it.
    Later,
    Bowman9

Modifactions:
    SuperChips Custom Tuner 9100 (Lidio)
    180 Degree Thermostat
    Ford Motorsport 4.10 Gears
    Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
    K&N Coldair Kit

So the 4.6 in the GM could be modified I guess? I wonder how many of the performance products for the Marauder would swap over. I like the idea for exactly the reasons stated above. It would be a unique, one of a kind car and although maybe not a collectors item it would be the car I can modify to make it exactly what I want.
    Now we have the beginnings of a project ...The body part changes would be minimal (front and rear fascias). The grill might be a challenge. I think the wheels and tires bolt right up. There are a lot of 4.6 2V parts that fille most of the non 5.0 advertising space in MM&FF. I think I'd start with a CV Sport...It's do-able, DJ- have at it!

djcoak Guest
    I have looked at the CV sport and it would be a fun car to play with, plus a tad cheaper. I guess if I had a Marauder I would be swapping parts like springs and struts and stuff anyway. I am still researching but I'll let ya all know what I decide on!!!!!

So Mustand Rims fit on GM/CV?
    Last edited by djcoak; 05-05-2004 at 10:13 AM.

So the 4.6 in the GM could be modified I guess? I wonder how many of the performance products for the Marauder would swap over.
    Bear in mind that the 4.6 in a GM (also in a CV) is a SOHC, while the MM is a DOHC...although there are plenty of performance parts for the SOHC out there, most are designed for Fox bodies and trucks, therefore may not physically fit in a GM or a CV easily...

Also remember that the Panther chassis was changed for 2003, so MOST Marauder chassis and suspension parts will fit an '03 or '04 GM or CV, but a lot will not fit the '02 and earlier...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information