Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone purchased a helmet?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Has anyone purchased a helmet?

Okay folks, while this thread will likely be less exciting than the politically oriented or the "big brother is watching you!" threads which keep popping up, I need some help.

With the thought that I may actually get out of the office once or twice this summer to run at the track, I have started looking at purchasing a helmet.

Some of the helmets are pricey and some are reasonable. I am not clear what goes into the cost.

Also, what is the difference between Snell SA 2000 and Snell M 2000 compliance? Is it just that the "SA" designated helmets are fire retardant? Are both of these designations acceptable at an NHRA certified track like Indy?

Should I go with a closed face helmet or will an open helmet be more suitable? (I do wear glasses when I drive).

Is there anything else that I need to know?

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

This is the one I will be getting from Summit today. I've got this thing about buying used....it's like wearing another mans shoes.....

Bell open face SFI 31.1@ $209, used to be onsale for like $153....

INFO:
    "Comfortable and safe.
    Helmet, Mag 4, Racer, Open Face, Snell SA 2000/SFI 31.1, Medium, Black, Each

The Mag 4 helmets give you Snell SA 2000 protection, plus the comfort and classic look of Bell's open face design. The helmets have a strong Kevlar chinstrap and ThermoFlex™ shell, which combines hand-laid lamination and thermo-set resin for strength. The interior of the helmets features a fire-resistant, high-performance fabric. They're available in white and black."
    Last edited by CRUZTAKER; 12-08-2006 at 10:47 PM.
    2017 Niro

The NHRA rules state the following....

"Drivers in all 13.99 (*8.59) or quicker cars, and Dune buggy type vehicles running 14.00 (*8.60) seconds or slower must wear a helmet meeting SNELL 85, 90 or SFI 31.1, 31.2, 41.1 or 41.2 Specs or BSI BS 6658-85 type A (including all amendments) Specs. Driver's in supercharged front-engine open-bodied cars must wear a helmet meeting SNELL SA95, SA90 or SFI 31.1 or 31.2 Specs or BSI BS 6658-85 type A (including all amendments) Specs. See General Regulations 10.7."

REG.10.7.

As outlined under Class Requirements, drivers in all classes must wear a helmet meeting SNELL or SFI Specifications or BSI BS 6658-85 type A (including all amendments) Specs.

SFI Spec 31.1 = SNELL SA, open-face helmet.

SFI Spec 31.2 = SNELL SA, full-face helmet.

SFI Spec 41.1 = SNELL M, open-face helmet.

SFI Spec 41.2 = SNELL M, full-face helmet.

Drivers of ET cars (13.99 or quicker) must use a helmet meeting SNELL 85, 90, 95 or SFI 31.1, 31.2, 41.1, or 41.2 Specs. Exception : drivers of open bodied, supercharged, front-engine cars must use a helmet meeting SNELL SA90, SA95 or SFI 31.1 or 31.2 Specs. Effective 1-1-2002, the acceptance of SNELL 85 helmets will be discontinued.

Drivers in Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, Top Alcohol Dragster and Top Alcohol Funny Car must use a helmet meeting SNELL SA90, SA95 or SFI 31.2 Specs, except as noted under Class Requirements. Effective 1-1-2002, the acceptance of SA90 helmets will be discontinued. See Class Requirements.

Drivers of any open bodied car wearing an "open face" helmet, must wear protective goggles. Modifications to helmet/visor/shield are prohibited. All helmets must have the appropriate certification sticker affixed inside the helmet.
    Last edited by CRUZTAKER; 06-14-2004 at 06:37 AM.
    2017 Niro

Quote Originally Posted by CRUZTAKER
    [b]Drivers of any open bodied car wearing an "open face" helmet, must wear protective goggles. Modifications to helmet/visor/shield are prohibited. All helmets must have the appropriate certification sticker affixed inside the helmet.
    I take this to mean an open face helmet like you picked is acceptable.

The Bell RS-5 is like the one you picked, only it is a full face version. Any thoughts on the benefits/detriments of that?

Yessir....the spec 31.1 open face is the affordable acceptable way to go.

The only exception is if you are racing open cockpit and you must add the visor or gogles.

I am gonna have my airbrush friend do some neat graphics on it as well.
    2017 Niro

Go with the closed face helmet because it allows for a open casket funeral.
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

I am gonna have my airbrush friend do some neat graphics on it as well.

{color me jealous!}

Quote Originally Posted by teamrope
    I thought helmets wern't required till you got down to the 13's?
    The NHRA rules state the following....
    "Drivers in all 13.99 (*8.59) or quicker cars, and Dune buggy type vehicles running 14.00 (*8.60) seconds or slower must wear a helmet meeting SNELL 85, 90 or SFI 31.1, 31.2, 41.1 or 41.2 Specs or BSI BS 6658-85 type A (including all amendments) Specs.
    That's what we're talking about teamrope. Those of us running 13's need helmets for this years events.
    2017 Niro

That's what we're talking about teamrope. Those of us running 13's need helmets for this years events.
    Actually Barry, some of the tracks require helmets for all drivers (that's the way it is at Englishtown and Atco in New Jersey, for instance).

Those tracks do offer rentals, but when you get to thinking about the fact that guys like BillyGMan may have previously worn the same helmet as you, it can start to, um, uh, make you a bit queasy....

Quote Originally Posted by martyo
    Actually Barry, some of the tracks require helmets for all drivers (that's the way it is at Englishtown and Atco in New Jersey, for instance).
    Sounds like you run on some wussie tracks!

03 Marauder 300A, 6 CD Changer, tint, SS Inserts, McGard wheel locks, Full Stainless Works 3 inch exaust and long tube headers, DynoTech MMX driveshaft, Spoiler, Full godshead treatment, Mack & Marty fender badges, Mac & Zack Control arms, KB dead pedal, Adco rear sway bar, 4.10's, FIT/ProCharger Racing Team Member #019(Mine)
    04 DTR Cd Changer, moon roof, heated seats, trunk organizor, McGard wheel locks,
    SS Inserts, Spoiler, tint, godshead stearing wheel badge, Badgless Grill & trunk, Densos & 180 t-stat, Megs Resonator Delete Tips, Flowmaster 40's, Mac & Zack Control arms, KB dead pedal, Adco rear sway bar, Superchips 9100 SCT tuner, JTL CAI, and 4.10's. (hers)
    67 Galaxie 500
    96 F250 EXT Cab 4X4 Pwerstroke
    2013 Lowe SS210
    98 Mustang convertible
    2005 Sportcoach Cross Country 376DS

Well, I'm not there yet. MrsTeamrope has no problem spending $600 for de-badging, but has a hard time gettin off the $100 for a set of Densos!

03 Marauder 300A, 6 CD Changer, tint, SS Inserts, McGard wheel locks, Full Stainless Works 3 inch exaust and long tube headers, DynoTech MMX driveshaft, Spoiler, Full godshead treatment, Mack & Marty fender badges, Mac & Zack Control arms, KB dead pedal, Adco rear sway bar, 4.10's, FIT/ProCharger Racing Team Member #019(Mine)
    04 DTR Cd Changer, moon roof, heated seats, trunk organizor, McGard wheel locks,
    SS Inserts, Spoiler, tint, godshead stearing wheel badge, Badgless Grill & trunk, Densos & 180 t-stat, Megs Resonator Delete Tips, Flowmaster 40's, Mac & Zack Control arms, KB dead pedal, Adco rear sway bar, Superchips 9100 SCT tuner, JTL CAI, and 4.10's. (hers)
    67 Galaxie 500
    96 F250 EXT Cab 4X4 Pwerstroke
    2013 Lowe SS210
    98 Mustang convertible
    2005 Sportcoach Cross Country 376DS

I've got this thing about buying used....it's like wearing another mans shoes.....

Another reason to buy new is, the padding inside the helmet needs to be broke in to fit your head. If you buy a used helmet it has already been fitted to someone elses head and the fit might not be as snug.

I will have to see if my MC helmets meet the requirements for NHRA.???
    Saorsa gu Brath
    (Freedon Forever)

Si vis pacem para bellum
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Μολὼν λαβέ
    (Come and take them)

Stann saam of sterf allen
    (Stand together or die alone)

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    (Fortune Favors the Brave)

Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos
    (Rather die as free men than be enslaved in peace)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike. It is the tree's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution guarantees our rights as American citizens, the 2nd Amendment protects those rights

"THE BLACK BOMBER"

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    I will have to see if my MC helmets meet the requirements for NHRA.???
    I thought real Harley guys didn't wear helmets!
    Isn't there also a 5 tattoo minimum or something?

Marty, no need to buy my helmet.... I may be able to get another bike. I heard that hell was due to freeze or something.
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain- sold....

2016 Harley Davidson Street Glide - Olive Gold

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

1995 Schwinn High Plains 21 speed, custom gearing.

Marty...I got the pic of the helmet you ordered....uh...you might want to reconsider...

LOL........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information