Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clone

Joshua, Texas (between Burleson & Cleburne)
    Quote Originally Posted by djcoak
    I have looked at the CV sport and it would be a fun car to play with, plus a tad cheaper. I guess if I had a Marauder I would be swapping parts like springs and struts and stuff anyway. I am still researching but I'll let ya all know what I decide on!!!!!

So Mustand Rims fit on GM/CV?
    They did on my 1996 PI but I wouldn't swear to the later models. You're welcome here even if you don't buy a Marauder...You're clone project idea intrigues me and I hope you'll keep us up to speed on the project.

djcoak Guest
    Thanx for the info so far guys! I would probably go with a new GM/CV just to make life easier, of course the good thing about the used ones is most are owned by an "more mature" crowd and probably are not beat into the ground.

With the GM stock 4.6L SOHC motor, you'll find a plethera of parts out there, as it's the same as the Mustang motor. Where you from dj, as I got beat at the strip by a guy in a Volarie a few weeks ago. Real ugly mostly primered car with a 340 crate motor in it. As my younger buddies say, I was owned
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

djcoak Guest
    This was years ago and he was down in Delaware almost on the MD border. I am currently in NJ.

I know on my '92 GM, Mustang wheels will need spacers to fit correctly. They will stick out on '03 and up models.

As for a sleeper, Find a CV or GM with the Handling and Performance package (HPP). It comes with ABS, traction control, a 3.27 open axle ratio (3.55 in 2000) compared to 2.73, unique front springs, front and rear shocks, steering gear, stabilizer bars, rear air suspension, and true dual exhaust. '02 and under models came with cross laced 16" aluminum wheels. To compliment the HPP, You could add the PI PCM. If the GM or CV comes with an analog dash cluster, you could upgrade to a PI cluster with 2mph increments up to 140. Some rare '01-'03 GMs with the HPP came w/5 passenger seating (later called the LSE).

Just my .02 for thought.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

djcoak Guest
    hey I appreciate the input!!!! I am not sure which model I will go with but I am leaning toward the GM only since it is the origin of the marauder

djcoak Guest
    Most of the performance upgrades look like they would be easy enough to get, but what about the cool stuff like the gauges in the center and such????

IMO it would be less costly to buy a Marauder that try and clone one. The Marauder only costs several K more than the GM. With the Marauder you get the best bang for the buck.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Quote Originally Posted by jgc61sr2002
    IMO it would be less costly to buy a Marauder that try and clone one. The Marauder only costs several K more than the GM. With the Marauder you get the best bang for the buck.
    He's right.....unless you already have an older GM that you want to hook up, your best bet is to just buy a Marauder. They are starting to hit the used car market and the price is going down. I got mine a year old for much cheaper than new!!!

What you could do is get your hands on a 98 Black GM and get 18" Cobra R rims.

2003 Mercury Marauder - 300A (Born 9/02, Purchased 1/16/04)
    • 1 Coil Cut Off Front Springs & Rear Air Suspension Lowered
    • PIAA Xtreme White 9007's
    • Red Reflective "MARAUDER" Inserts
    • JLT Performance Intake
    • Accufab Throttle Body
    • SCT-1725 Tuned
    • Borla Mufflers

You mean like a faux Marauder .....

djcoak Guest
    Well its cheaper huh? Well lets look at cost for an instant. It seems many people here are hot rodding thier Marauders and I agree it is very cool, but to buy a 36,000 dollar car and then change things around is something I cannot bring myself to do.

For 18,000 I can have a base GM. Although it has a little different engine (SOHC as opposed to a DOHC among a few other things) the chassis and such are pretty much the same. That would leave me 18,000 dollars worth of mods to even get to a base price Marauder AND it would have all the performance options I want. If I add in the 10 to 15 K that some are adding to thier Marauders I would have a pretty wild machine. I am not slamming those that are modding thier cars but I am trying to look at it from a practical stand point. With the demise of production I personally would not want to Mod the car as it may be worth some money sometime in the future. BUT to Mod a regular GM, well who cares it only started off as a plain jane anyway.

PS If I find one cheap enough I would get it but I am kinda excited about the sleeper car. I have even thought of maybe a V-10........

in my little town already saw somewhat you are talking about...CV sport with aftermarket wheels similiar to ours...our exhaust tips...MM rear spoiler...looked nice and get this, it was white (spoiler was painted white also)...willie
    ---------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder BLACK
    SS inserts
    Addco sway bars
    JLT CAI
    4.10's
    MO's custom tune
    275 rwhp/303 lbs. torque

Quote Originally Posted by gdmjoe
    You mean like a faux Marauder .....
    I was just gonna say --you gotta see gdmjoe's set up--I did in Raleigh and he had me fooled ---his Vic sure looked like an MM to me and he is well on his way to "clone" ville....connect up with this guy for sure--he has done a supper job I think..........Tom
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

djcoak Guest
    I figure for the money I could have a pretty hopped up car that would give alot of stock MM's a run for thier money. I am still toying with the idea and who knows but it sure would be fun to play with!!!

I decided it was easier to buy a Maruader.

If you want to go the low-buck route, buy a used GM... its hard to find a 2 year old one that isn't in mint condition.

They're worth lots less, so you've got $ left to burn.

I'd stick with the handling package... that's got to save lots of work.

Then get Saleen's supercharger and figure out how to make it work. Hopefully, anything that will fit inside a Mustang engine bay will fit in a GM's.

I think I'd try to find MM wheels, but get whatever you like.

Car should be 10k, s/c another 5k... wheels & tires... $1500.

Now you're at $16,500... you've got a fun car, but you're approaching Marauder prices... and you don't have god of speed on your seat covers yet.

Entertaining, but I haven't regretted buying the real thing!

Greg
    Trilogy #146!!! Self-Installed with a little help!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information