Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sound dampening suggestions?

I used to use this stuff
    http://stingerelectronics.com/catalo...ping-roadkill/
    RKX36B
    one package did the doors... another package did the trunk floor and rear deck
    RKCP12
    under the carpet before i built and installed my kickpanel mids and highs.

best bet is to find out which areas you want to correct and get the correct stuff for it.
    sound deadening will not fix a bunch of bolts that were vibrated loose. Investigate where the rattle came from and go from there. I also use a bunch of foam window tape to stop plastic panels from vibrating.
    BTW I used to be a car audio installer for around 15 years and have built a few show cars and have fixed many rattles. I also competed many years in Iasca, CMAA, USACi, DB Drag and personally held a three world records. If you have questions, you can just PM me. I am not on here much, but I can give you a better contact for me.

Yes you will. I only got a kicker comp 12 in the package tray. And brush on sound deader on the trunk lid. And there's a tad bit of rattle outside the car but can't hear it unless your close. And non existent in the car
    04 mgm (rauder wannabe)
    Jmod, 2900 stall 10inch. Pi shaft and housing with lube mod. 3.73 carbon posi. 70mm tb ported knives edged plate and modded shaft, plenum p and p. Boc tune. And the mods don't stop.

So heres an update I finally got some extra coin together and decided to go with GTmat Quaddro which is their cadillac stuff.I got 72 SQ FT which should be ample for trunk and rear bumber.Will post pics before during and after

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/to...71-dynamat-vs/
    Edited January 17 by Solarphil

I'm a closet audiophile as well as 02 geek, both on beer budgets so I'm always looking for the best bang-for-buck ratio. When doing research for my build I found this INSANELY over the top anal retentive head to head (ok, after typing that I realized that description should just be left alone, unpondered, don't even think about if it could really be a thing) shootout of constrained layer dampening sound deadeners - http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...esting-69.html. Years of testing in his garage, all with detailed graphs and waterfall charts -- that's a level of geek that few can rise to (and even fewer aspire to).

Needless to say, I couldn't wait for the final results so I compared all the info to date a couple years ago, and sorted them in order of effectiveness but with an added vector of weight - I wanted the lightest, best performing product at a reasonable cost. Dynamat Xtreme seemed to win by a mile.

the really cool thing was digging out that site from the depths of my browser bookmarks after all this time, and seeing that he finally finished his testing and came to the same conclusion. There are other better performing CLD product out there, but only if weight is no object. For an 02, Dynamat Xtreme is da bomb.

For the best site for an education on sound deadening, what CLD is and how to use it, try https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Stay away from the roofing products - they are asphalt based so will off gas in your car, and are designed to flow when they get warm (that's what helps them seal against nail holes which is good on your roof but not so good in your interior). More importantly, there are other product that work better, cheaper, for sound deadening.

And here is how involved such a project can be:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...dampening.html

Im aware but im only doing the trunk and rear bumper because thats where all the rattle is.Im too chicken to do the headliner because its so clean and in almost perfect condition.Eventually ill do the doors but for now gotta kill the rattle in the back

Quote Originally Posted by 2,4shofast View Post
    I have used B-Quiet Ultimate for about 12 years now on all my builds, the stuff is amazing and half the price of others.

https://www.b-quiet.com/
    Been in this beast and can vouch for the quiet bank vault lack of sound and subsequent solid sturdy "feel".

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information