Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: February Road Trip (long read, but worth it)

February Road Trip (long read, but worth it)

I needed to have a couple of wisdom teeth removed and a good friend of the family is an oral surgeon in Cocoa Beach. So 2 weeks ago I pulled my Marauder out of storage and took off for Florida. I left at 1:45 on a Tuesday and pulled in their driveway 10 a.m. Wednesday morning. OH, I should mention I stopped in Louisville and had dinner with Bill and TJ (Lmark) on my way! Grabbed a quick shower and off to the surgeon's...

Wednesday was pretty much spent chillin and sleeping off the drugs. Thursday was another relaxing day ... Friday I got up and left by 11 or so and headed south to meet up with the South Florida guys at their Friday night cruise in. It was great to meet everyone and put faces with names. Had a great meal and lots of laughs!

Drove back to Cocoa Beach late Friday. Got up at 6, drove an hour up to Orlando and went to a cars and coffee... HOLY CRAP! 350+ cars and nothing low dollar by a long shot! Around 11 I headed over to another friend's parent's place in Orlando for lunch. After that headed to a Cars for Cancer show at a medical center... DAYUM! HIGH DOLLAR cars... we don't ever see Lambos, Ferarris, Bugatti's, Benz's, BMW'S like these... How about a row of new McClarens!!!! Unreal... at 4 I headed out to yet another cruise in... about 150 cars in a great little town... had a fantastic time... until I left to go back to Cocoa.... pulled away from a toll both, 1st gear shifts to second, and BAM... No more... trans died on the highway at 9 or so p.m..

I still had 1-2 and reverse and only 20 miles to go so I limped her back. Now what? I'm 1500 miles from home, broken trans and a modded car... Here's where this group and the car world in general are amazing. I posted on FB what was up and the calls started flying in. Amazing how many people were at the ready to help me out. The next 3 days were unreal.

First things first, we gotta get the trans out. So go buy tools and do it in a driveway? Pay a shop to do it? Rent a shop? My friends took me buy their mechanics place on Sunday just to see if he was there... he was. Told him my story, no hesitation at all. Where's your car? At the house (5 miles away) Go get it, there's a hoist and my tools are right there. Yep, this guy that just met me allowed me to use his shop and his tools. If you are in need of an honest shop Advanced Auto Repair Group 428 Richard Road | Rockledge, FL 32955 Call (321) 631-9666 ask for Richie or John. Trans is out on Sunday, now to figure out if we build it or buy a used one.

Found a used one, low miles, not far away... yeah till they figured out I was stranded and the price went up by $300... Umm, no. so back to friends and FB. The entire time from the moment I posted on FB people were constantly reaching out to me. The ones that matter to you guys are Marty O and Landy. Most of you know Marty from Moe's Speed Shop in Ga. Marty was on the phone and willing to do whatever I needed to get me back on the road. Many probably do not know member Landy. He has moved on from Marauders but is very active in racing and was very active with Marauders in the past.

In talking with Landy, I was going to have his guy rebuild my trans but he was very sick and could not do it. Landy did not stop for me though, he reached out to another buddy of his who was actually closer to me and got me in touch with him. Marc Medeiros at American Motorsports. Marc said that they use a shop by the name of Bronco Johns transmission in Orlando. So off I went. Got there at 11:45 on Monday, they called me at 12:45 so I could review the damage and approve repairs. 3 p.m., they called. Trans was ready! Went back, picked it up, was pleasantly surprised at the price. So if you are in Florida, looking for performance parts or service PLEASE remember to check out American Motorsports 4130 N Orange Blossom Trail, Orlando, FL 32804 (407) 290-1010 ask for Marc If you need transmission work done and want someone you can trust to build you a stout trans give Keith or John at Bronco Johns a call 2021 N Orange Blossom Trail, Orlando, FL 32804 (407) 428-0056

The next day I put the trans back in, test drove and packed up to head home. I gave Marty and Jeff a call and decided to swing by the shop so they could make some adjustments to my tune. We ended up spending the entire afternoon together and then grabbed dinner.

I spent the next day on the road stopped by another friend's house in Nashville on the way back. Then picked up another transmission for a project we are building here at the shop in Lexington. The guy I bought it from (craigslist add) asked if I was ever in the area in the spring time.... I asked why... he said because every spring he and his other car buddies spot a big group of Marauders all over the place between Louisville and Lexington!!!!

The long and short is this, 10 days, 3500 miles, two teeth pulled, transmission replaced, and countless hours laughing and meeting new and old friends that I KNOW I can depend on. That type of security can't be described in this day and age. THANK YOU, to all of you that in any way made my trip a great one. Can't wait to see you guys and gals in Louisville!
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    The "Bucket of South Haven Iced Tea"
    One Legged Lesbian Kickboxer
    Cocka Two

wow... life is good

Awesome stuff!
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Good stuff!
    Good thing you had landy's number handy

People helping people when in need. ((Hugs))
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

That's awesome Chris!!!

We have some seriously stand up peeps around here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

That was you that stopped by??? I thought it was Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by martyo View Post
    Hysterical. That Marty guy.

Chris, quit breaking ****
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

Blog Entries
    You had a long trip, got a lot done & met & hung out with some new people you only heard of on MM.net. It was our pleasure to have you stop by and hang out with us . It was fun . Your always welcome to hang with us any time.

This is awesome and the best people are car people. They always step up! This reminds me a lot of the Hot Rod Power Tour with Christopher Titus. It was on RIDES (TLC before it became cakes, clothes, spoiled fat kids and midgets)
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Damn Chris that's nuts! At least your marauder wasn't crashed into by a mustang leaving cars and coffee lolz
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

LMAO! So yesterday I ran into a local guy in a DTR... I thought, hmm... victim! Yeah I chased him down, got lined up next to him at a light, let him leave first, then crushed him! He follows me to the next light, rolls the window down and says "are you Marty O"!!! I said yes, yes I am!!!!!!

O.k. I did not say I was you, but it was funnier than hell to me!
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    Cocka Two

Quote Originally Posted by lji372 View Post
    Good stuff!
    Good thing you had landy's number handy

People helping people when in need. ((Hugs))

Right LOL! Yes, I forgot to mention LJI372 and his never ending phone contacts. There were so many people that helped me out it's kind of all a blur... don't worry honey, I'll make you a special drink in Louisville! and then I'll need a
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    Cocka Two

Quote Originally Posted by Curless View Post
    LMAO! So yesterday I ran into a local guy in a DTR... I thought, hmm... victim! Yeah I chased him down, got lined up next to him at a light, let him leave first, then crushed him! He follows me to the next light, rolls the window down and says "are you Marty O"!!! I said yes, yes I am!!!!!!

O.k. I did not say I was you, but it was funnier than hell to me!
    That was my Monday morning laugh!!

Great story, thanks for posting it.
    2004 SB #2150 of 3214 Moonroof, Heated Seats and 6 CD Changer. Non OEM Mufflers and 32,XXX miles and counting.

That was my Monday morning laugh!!
    I thought you'd like that one! I laughed out loud when he asked me!
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    Cocka Two