Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remembering Englishtown

Remembering Englishtown

As I continue to wallow around the ceasing of drag racing activities at Raceway
    Park, Englishtown NJ, I was looking back at some of my video clips. Here’s 1 I figured you guys would appreciate...from a gathering way back in 2013.

https://youtu.be/fpHk-HOeLJg

'03 Marauder - "The Backup" -----> SOLD! Now Marauderless
    Adopted June '09
    K&N FIPK, Magnaflows, SCT Tune, Steeda Underdrive pulley, EMP/Stewart high volume water pump, intake spacer, Autolite XP104's
    4/9/11 Remanufactured Marauder engine installed @ 64,400 miles by GNB Auto Repair, Astoria, NY
    Learn from my ignorance....CHECK YOUR OIL!!!

'72 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme - "The Hulk"...gone to the great junkyard in the sky
    '70 Oldsmobile 442 - "The Keeper"...now alive and kicking

woah, wtf? Seriously? what happened?
    "Come to me, Superman! I defy you! Come and kneel before Zod! Zod! "

Quote Originally Posted by the fat bastid View Post
    woah, wtf? Seriously? what happened?
    No more drag racing at Englishtown after 52 years in business. It’s still “open” but only for motocross, go-karts, and, believe it or not, drifting. They didn’t state a reason why so there’s lots of speculating (insurance, noise complaints for decades, urban sprawl). But the big rumor is that they’re getting $75mil for a 15 year lease to use the whole back area as parking for Copart, an online auto auction site.
    Sucks! I’m so pissed!!

Adopted June '09
    K&N FIPK, Magnaflows, SCT Tune, Steeda Underdrive pulley, EMP/Stewart high volume water pump, intake spacer, Autolite XP104's
    4/9/11 Remanufactured Marauder engine installed @ 64,400 miles by GNB Auto Repair, Astoria, NY

'72 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme - "The Hulk"...gone to the great junkyard in the sky

This was first ever 1/4 mile pass, glad I had a chance to run there.
    https://youtu.be/KPAi56oZhY0
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I used to live in Hazlet NJ. Driving my car to E-Town was a no brainer for my high school classmates. We learned to race in a "safe" environment. As I have gone through life, E-Town was where we did our test & Tunes on my Mustangs, and yes, even the 04 Marauder.

My Mustang club used to have drag days twice a season. We got our own lane and we filled it .
    The word we have gotten from contacts at Englishtown is that falling attendance, and noise complaints have finally done them in. I will miss them.

I was only at englishtown once and ,sadly, it was the worst drag racing experience of my life. It took two hours for our lane to be pulled once because it was totally packed. At that point it was a victim of its own success and the falling attendance is surprising.

I did know the town kept growing around it and everyone was getting pissy all the time but with all the other motorsport areas and the airport remaining open, is drag racing that loud over the rest of that going on?

Isn't it amazing. You buy a house next to a race track, and then you complain about the noise. What ever happened to "Buyer Beware"?

Quote Originally Posted by jsignorelli View Post
    Isn't it amazing. You buy a house next to a race track, and then you complain about the noise. What ever happened to "Buyer Beware"?
    Yep.... bunch of friggin' Numb Nuts!

I can't remember which track it was....a SAAC event.
    Either VIR or NJ Motorsports Park.
    They wouldn't let me run the 427 Cobra on Sunday morning because the sidepipes were too loud!
    WTF!

It's a G*d D*mn RACETRACK!!!
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

When they built this track over 50 years ago, it was literally in the middle of nowhere. Dirt roads to and from, the real deal. Houses have been built closer and closer over the years. In fact, 2 years ago, there was a proposal to build a “house of worship” literally across the street from the track, complete with “meditation rooms” and apartment for those on retreat. The track responded “Do you know what we do here?” Legal battle ensued, again. More time, headaches and, probably most importantly, money spent to fight.
    To be fair to the people around the track, not everyone complained. I’ve heard from several in that area who claim that the sounds of the track were sounds of their summers and they loved it. I’m not sure when it was instituted, but people wishing to buy a house in Manalapan, NJ (town just south of track) had to sign a document as part of their closing that they were aware the track was there and they were accepting what came along with that awareness (I.e. noise, occasional traffic jams, etc...).
    Since they didn’t state a reason and they only shut the 1/4 & 1/8, it is my belief that several economic factors led to this.....rising insurance for Drag racing, legal costs for complaints, and, yes, declining attendance. I’ve heard some people complain about the “young kids just not interested” and blaming the “millennials”. From what I’ve seen with my own eyes and what I’ve heard from talking with some “old timers” at the track, that is unfair and untrue. In fact, the younger, tuner crowd has been unofficially credited with keeping the track open this long. Attendance for the Honda/VW/Toyota events was huge! Conversely, when I brought my 442 to the GM Show ‘N Go last year, I was set to win 1st place in the BOP class. Not because my car is super-awesome (FAR from it!) but because I was the only 1 there.

Sucks!

Adopted June '09

Same thing happens where I live when people move from your neck of the woods and complain about "farm smells". Then they proceed to complain to the town " Where is the town pool, where are the rec. parks, and organized youth crap." Stay in the city if you want all that stuff. Rant over

I used to go to Englishtown for the Diesel Truckin' Nationals in the '80's and '90's. Haven't been down in a long time though. Pain to get to with all the traffic in that area now. Hope the masses flow to Atco and not Island.

Wonder where NHRA will move the Summer Nationals?

I know, I'm still bummed about the news.

Yo Doug!!
    03 Black MM: Trilogy #19, Build Date 04/02/03 #7113
    03 SB MM: Lidio Tune/JLT CAI DD Build Date 04/02/03 #7114

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Hope the masses flow to Atco and not Island
    Whaaaa? Island all day everyday, son! Only place you can get in 800 pulls in one friday!

...also it is only 30 minutes away so that is nice.

This is exactly what shut down the track that was 1.5 miles from a house i bought (just to be closer to the track)

They built a housing area for $750,000 homes and within 6 years they worked with the city, had a person buy the track that committed to keep it open for 20 years. Then sold it to the city that year to make a few million dollars.

Now its a parking lot with some swing sets, they cant build on it because of all the oil and nitromethane in the ground. F ukin really ticks me off. Closest track is 80 miles away and 1/8th mile, other is different direction and gravel pits. But my house has gone up 50K in value in the last 3 years
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsUpDOHC View Post
    I know, I'm still bummed about the news.

Yo Doug!!
    Hey Mark! I hope you and your family are well. If you guys ever get together again, I’ll try to make it. Maybe Simeone Museum again?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Wonder where NHRA will move the Summer Nationals?
    I just read recently that NHRA is adding another event in VA to replace the SummerNationals...but it’s getting a different name.

Adopted June '09

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information