Thread: An interesting tool for steel braided hose:

An interesting tool for steel braided hose:

Hopefully, I'll be putting together, and installing my fuel system on my mountain motor Chevy very soon. I already have purchased the fuel cell as well as some stainless steel braided hose, along with the hose end fittings. What I've learned through this experience so far via some experimentation, is that it can be one nightmare trying to install the hose ends onto the steel braided hose! If you've never tried it, then trust me on this. It's a real hassle.

Anywho, I just found this cool tool on the net for making this task a whole lot easier (so they say). However, I also must tell you that although I've purchased this tool, I haven't used it yet. But it does look promising. So for those of you who may be building or contemplating your own monster HP projects now, or in the future, which will require stainless steel braided hose for the fuel lines, you might want to checkout the link below, and in the meantime, for those who might be interested, I'll let you know how it works when I do get around to assembling my fuel lines.

BTW, you also might want to keep in mind that with at least the Russell brand hose end fittings, the hose needs to be screwed into the fitting using a counter clockwise rotation instead of the clockwise direction that the video on the web page that the link below leads you to shows. This post is mostly offered for the hands-on do-it-yourselfers on here. I've learned over the years that when it comes to hi-perf cars, if you want something done right, you usually have to do it yourself. So I hope this info helps someone out.....

http://www.koultools.com/
    Last edited by BillyGman; 05-21-2006 at 11:33 PM.

This tool has gotten good reviews.

To cut braided hose, all you do is wrap the portion to be cut in electrical tape, place the hose on concrete, place a large metal chisel over the spot to be cut and give it a good blow with the hammer.
    The cut turns out perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack
    To cut braided hose, all you do is wrap the portion to be cut in electrical tape, place the hose on concrete, place a large metal chisel over the spot to be cut and give it a good blow with the hammer.
    The cut turns out perfect.
    Zack, although I already knew about the trick with the tape on the ends of the braided hose before cutting it, thankyou for the tip, but cutting it isn't what this tool does, nor is cutting it the problem. There are a number of ways to cut the hose properly, and one of them is to use a tool that's made for that, which I happen to have. The hassle is getting those hose end fittings onto the ends of the hose, regardless of how good of a cut you've made, because it's a real tight squeeze, and it therefore becomes a wrestling match.
    Last edited by BillyGman; 05-22-2006 at 08:58 AM.

They just showed that on the newer version of "Trucks!". I thought that was really neato!
    BTW, I'm having a hard time adjusting to the new hosts, Stacey was just too good. That loud bald guy works on my nerves.
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain- sold....

2016 Harley Davidson Street Glide - Olive Gold

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

1995 Schwinn High Plains 21 speed, custom gearing.

We cut braided hose all the time in our shop and I think that I'm going to buy both size kits. Taping tightly before cutting is key...but
    If you have any frayed stainless braid it is a major PITA getting the hose into the fitting the first time, let alone if you have to assemble a second time.
    Really a neat idea! Thanks for the link.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Curious to see what you think of it. From one working with hose now for over 20yrs I've bought and trashed a few good ideas.

As for cutting Joe is right; if you wrap it tightly in duct tape first it will not fray when cut. Most use a cut off wheel, but I find for -3,4,6,8 you can use cable cutters quite nicely if they are sharp.

When done with the hose run you hand down it real tight so you can locate the few strands that need to be trimmed. You'll find them with red indicator fluid.
    TCE
    Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd TCE
    Curious to see what you think of it. From one working with hose now for over 20yrs I've bought and trashed a few good ideas.

As for cutting Joe is right; if you wrap it tightly in duct tape first it will not fray when cut. Most use a cut off wheel, but I find for -3,4,6,8 you can use cable cutters quite nicely if they are sharp.

When done with the hose run you hand down it real tight so you can locate the few strands that need to be trimmed. You'll find them with red indicator fluid.
    I just bought a pair of braided hose cutters from Summit racing (part # SUM-900040 ) and they're supposed to cut up to, and including -10an size hose. (See pic) I haven't tried them yet though. I'll let you know how they work as well.
    Last edited by BillyGman; 08-09-2006 at 04:42 AM.

Thread Information