Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermittant or No Cruise Control Especially After Adjustable Pedal Fix

Intermittant or No Cruise Control Especially After Adjustable Pedal Fix

Just an FYI if anyone else runs into this problem or just plain has an non-working cruise control.

There is a deactivator switch that is located on the brake pedal assembly. You remove it and reinstall it after doing the adjustable pedal fix. You may find the cruise control no longer works. This will also apply if your cruise control doesn't work either.

There is a metal lever that pushes against the deactivator switch (not the brake light switch by the way) and keeps the plunger retracted. The switch is closed with the plunger depressed and opens with the brake pedal pushed. It sends 12V to the cruise control unit under the hood.

If you remove the connector from the cruise unit under the hood and check the orange wire on the connector (second hole from the front of the car on the connector) it should read 12V all the time, even with the key off. This circuit runs from the brake light power feed wire to the deactivator switch and then to the underhood unit. The 12V feed is the same as the brake lights, so if you press the brake pedal and have brake lights the front half of the circuit is good. If you have no 12V to the cruise unit the switch is either bad or out of adjustment.

If you are driving the car you can take your toe and pull UP on the brake pedal like you are trying to release the brakes more. While holding the pedal up like this, press the cruise ON button and then SET. If the cruise works, the switch is out of adjustment.

You can take a test light and do the same thing at the deactivator switch. The green/red stripe wire should have 12V and then also the orange wire out of the switch with no brakes applied. If you pull up on the pedal and get 12V on the orange wire, it's the adjustment.

To fix, press on the brake pedal and then carefully bend the metal ear back up toward the switch slightly. You want to do it without damaging the deactivator switch. Recheck the orange wire until 12V is there with brakes off.

If you have the pedal assembly out of the car to change the broken gear, you can check the lever visually. It should be parallel to the pedal shaft (see picture).

Also, I noticed the lever has a cutout in the side of the pedal housing. I have found that the lever can hit the upper side of the cutout when the master cylinder rod is removed from the pedal assembly and the pedal goes all the way up. This may bend the lever. When the assembly is out of the car, make sure the lever does not catch on the side of the assembly through its full travel. If so, gently bend the housing outward until it clears the lever through full pedal travel.

I have done 9 adjustable pedal gears so far and found on 2 of them, the lever hit the side of the housing and was bent resulting in an inoperative cruise control.

The pictures should help explain what I am talking about and the side view shows the cutout that hits the metal lever. You can see in the first picture the lever hits the housing and is bent so it is no longer parallel to the pivot shaft. This cruise control would not have worked after the pedal was reinstalled in the car.

If you need a new switch, the part number is YF1Z-9F924-AB. List price is $26.00

Hope this helps..
    Last edited by vegasmarauder; 11-15-2012 at 12:03 AM.
    His: Blue w/Light Flint Born 02/05/03 (Wednesday)
    6674 of 7838, Color sequence 102 of 327

1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    6 CD Changer in Trunk
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Real Oil Press Guage w/MM Face
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

Nephews: Blue w/Light Flint
    Born 02/05/03
    6673 of 7838, 101 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    Cars purchased 7 years apart, but are only 20 VIN numbers apart. Sequential units on the assembly line.

Hers: Black 300A w/Charcoal Born 06/25/02 (Tuesday)
    2011 of 7838
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Factory Alarm
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

#4 (Pound Rescue Marauder) 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    120 of 328 DBP 1 of 217 with heated seats.
    6705 of 7838 2003's
    Built Friday 02-07-2003
    Bought 09-10-2012

#5 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    136 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 W/O Heated Seats
    6741 of 7838 2003's
    Built Tuesday 02-11-2003
    Bought 05-06-14

Easy fix......mine did it too!!

Remove the cruise disengage switch and squeeze the cut off tab (tab on the brake that holds the switch in) and the switch mounting point a little closer together with some Channel Locks, (1/8") or less!! Re-install the switch and test....may require a bit more squeezing but probably not!!

This happened when I installed a brand new pedal and when I did the repair!!

Good Luck!!
    No Marauder

Good info to have...I was reading about Town cars last night that have had this issue as well. I went back thru the FORD instructions on how to remove and replace the pedal assembly and it never talks about this. I will have this added to the instructions ASAP!
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    The "Bucket of South Haven Iced Tea"
    One Legged Lesbian Kickboxer
    Cocka Two

Yeah Chris.....they must set the clearance on the thin edge and the R&R process cuts enough plastic from the switch to move it back ever so slightly!!

BTW....my pedals are working GREAT....move them daily since I now....CAN!!!
    No Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post
    Yeah Chris.....they must set the clearance on the thin edge and the R&R process cuts enough plastic from the switch to move it back ever so slightly!!

BTW....my pedals are working GREAT....move them daily since I now....CAN!!!
    Glad to hear it! I hate that there is a possible other problem though...weird, I've had mine in and out three or four times and not ever had an issue. I did break the first switch I worked with though by not being careful...twisted it the wrong way and SNAP!
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    Cocka Two

FYI, I have sent a message to a mod (not sure who it was, there was no name on the link) to add a step to check the switch out before and after you remove it.
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    Cocka Two

Quote Originally Posted by Curless View Post
    Glad to hear it! I hate that there is a possible other problem though...weird, I've had mine in and out three or four times and not ever had an issue. I did break the first switch I worked with though by not being careful...twisted it the wrong way and SNAP!
    I expect some are setup very close to the edge......some not!?
    No Marauder

I always set my brake switches and cruise switches so they are very tight. I like to be able to just whisper on the pedal and have a response. Its very easy to adjust it so its instant.
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    Cocka Two

^^^ don't you want it instant?
    Along with the idea of Cruise Contol; you're off the pedals. (of course).
    If something should require you to turn off the Cruise - it's probably something you're going to need to slow down or stop for; right?
    "Barry's" the name;
    Drums and Cars are my game

"I smash the pedal; air and fuel go in; witchcraft happens; I go fast!"

"No question is stupid, if you don't know the answer!"

2004 / Black / 1981 of 3214.
    #184 of 509 in black out of 1214 total in all three colors with the moonroof option.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockettman View Post
    ^^^ don't you want it instant?
    Along with the idea of Cruise Contol; you're off the pedals. (of course).
    If something should require you to turn off the Cruise - it's probably something you're going to need to slow down or stop for; right?

Thats what I mean, I want it to work instantly. You can bend the tabs so that it makes contact quicker.
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    Cocka Two

Not to confuse the issue but some switches I pulled out of 2002's (same adj pedal assembly) and early 2003's have a plunger that is about 1/8" longer than the replacement switches and later production models. I am sure this is to kill the cruise at the slightest touch of the brake pedal. The closer tolerance means some will be out of range due to normal mass production demensional differences. I have noticed the issuse seems to come up in cars that have had the pedals replaced or the switch replaced. But I can see as the pedal assemblies get some wera on them the overall tolerance exceeding the demension needed to make the switch close.

And MarauderJack is correct in that anyway you can bend the contact tab back closer to the switch will fix the issue. It just needs to be bent slightly.
    His: Blue w/Light Flint Born 02/05/03 (Wednesday)
    6674 of 7838, Color sequence 102 of 327

1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    6 CD Changer in Trunk
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

Nephews: Blue w/Light Flint
    Born 02/05/03
    6673 of 7838, 101 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    Cars purchased 7 years apart, but are only 20 VIN numbers apart. Sequential units on the assembly line.

Hers: Black 300A w/Charcoal Born 06/25/02 (Tuesday)
    2011 of 7838
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Factory Alarm
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

#4 (Pound Rescue Marauder) 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    120 of 328 DBP 1 of 217 with heated seats.
    6705 of 7838 2003's
    Built Friday 02-07-2003
    Bought 09-10-2012

#5 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    136 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 W/O Heated Seats
    6741 of 7838 2003's
    Built Tuesday 02-11-2003
    Bought 05-06-14

old thread, I know but does this switch issue keep the cruise from working at all?

I had this problem. I bought the gear but have not fixed it yet. I found that just pushing the adjuster switch back and forth until it hit the sweet spot fixed the problem until I take it all apart.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    I had this problem. I bought the gear but have not fixed it yet. I found that just pushing the adjuster switch back and forth until it hit the sweet spot fixed the problem until I take it all apart.
    Unfortunately that did not work for me.

Marty. When I did my pedal assembly my cruise no longer worked either. Of course it is completely 100% buried in the bracing I welded in to the point it makes scary cracking sounds just trying to twist to remove.. Anyways, I managed to get it out, seemed to work fine, re installed, been working since. All I can say is that is one seriously delicate switch it seems.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
    "Since 2004"
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information