Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice Requested / Stereo Choices

Audiophile Radio Installed

I got my new/used audiophile 6-disc changer off ebay. Plugged right in, audio is much better than stock, tuner pulls in radio stations the other one couldn't, steering wheel controls work, dimmer works, colors, fonts, schema all looks just like it's been there all along. I'm very happy with all that.

However, upon loading CD's, the thing jammed and now it won't load nor eject CD's and I lost two of my favorites inside the unit. It's going back to the seller for a refund if I can't repair it.

I see a few youtube videos on repairing these; and they honestly look like they shouldn't work at all. Are there many reliability problems with them? Should I buy another one or take this as a lesson learned?

I have a 05 Ford Escape Audiophile unit now and it works great. In speaking with other members, they told me it was the way to go if you want to stay with an OEM unit. It sounds like it may just be an issue with that particular unit. Other members here may be able to shed some light as well.

I had replaced my OEM radio in my Marauder with the Audiophile Escape radio/ in dash CD changer 4+ years ago & had no problems with it.
    2003 Marauder 300A
    #3968 of 7838
    Black/Dark Charcoal
    Build date: 08/22/2002
    Adopted: 08/21/2011 at 76,404 miles
    Joined the 100k mile club on 04/14/2013
    at I-95 North at New Smyrna Beach,FL

List of modifications:
    • Ford Escape 6 CD audiophile unit
    • LCM/EATC upgrades courtesy of FBM

• Acme wheel lock kit (20 locks/1 key)

• Trunk plate for 1998-2010 Crown Victoria (Havis part # C-3054)

• Innovative Interceptors 3.5 in resonator deleted exhaust tips courtesy of RoyLPita

• Trunk organizer

• Marty's tune

• Big brake upgrade

1995 Ford CVPI
    Purchased : 03/1999 [77k miles]
    Sold:03/2015 [330k miles]

2001 Chevrolet Impala
    Inherited 02/2015 [93k miles]
    Sold:03/2023 [170k miles]

2005 Lincoln Town Car Signature
    Purchased 03/2023 with 56k original miles.
    New DD.

R.I.P. REX aka S/C CHEESEHEAD

Unit was NOT bad, keeping it.

After a ton of reading and searching online, I stumbled across someone that experienced a very weird crash when trying to feed the Audiophile unit a data CD containing MP3s. It dawned on me that this is exactly what caused mine to go crazy. He was able to get the unit to eject the CDs by rapidly pressing eject when the power plug on the back was applied. I did that, and was able to extract the CDs. Then, after much more messing around, I discovered that my NERO created CD that was in UDF format causes the audiophile to crash badly enough that the CD changer no longer works at all (it won't play, load, or eject). There's another thread on this forum that describes UDF not working (no mention of crash), and claimed that ISO format discs were required. I re-burned the .mp3 CD in ISO format on the exact same brand/batch of CD-Rs, and the unit no longer malfunctions. Everything is working as expected and I've ejected and loaded all 6 positions a number of times.

This means I have a second unit coming that I don't need. If someone wants a deal on it, let me know.

My stocker took a dump. I just scored an audiophile one off ebay for $100 shipped. We'll see when it comes in.

I remember getting one 5 years ago for another vehicle from a local bone yard for $60, but every place now around here wants $200+.

I want to go aftermarket and am thinking of trying the hk Honda one mentioned in this thread, in particular because I want a back up camera and semi-stock look. but my priorities are elsewhere for the car at the moment.
    Last edited by Black&Gifted; 12-01-2016 at 10:45 AM.

Hope this makes it easier for the next guy to burn MP3 discs for the audiophile.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...Radio-Play-Mp/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information