Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the Town Car (03-11)

Tell me about the Town Car (03-11)

My brother bought a low mileage Crown Vic LX last year and wants to upgrade to a Town Car. He's getting ready to retire and is sold on the Panther platform.

He wouldn't pass up a marauder, but performance is not his primary concern: he's looking for luxury.

Looks like last gen TC (03-11) can be had, inexpensively, and low mileage too.

(there are several low mileage <40k miles, Ultimate or Limited Signature within a hundred miles of here for under <$8k).

Any words of wisdom for the TC's of that era as the search begins?
    2003 Marauder, Black (Formerly "Levi's"; Vortech, 597RWHP, 570RWTQ)
    2004 Marauder, Black (Stock + 4:10)
    2010 Challenger SRT8, 6 Speed (AEM Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, and some other stuff)
    2005 Ford Excursion Limited Diesel-Post Apocalyptic Bug Out Package

I used to daily drive a Crown Vic LX too, my original plan was upgrading to a Town Car but rather amazingly, I found a Marauder before a Town Car.... The rest was obvious for me.

But I still did lots of research on the Town Cars, and still love them. My best advice would be to try and get as low mileage as you can because the car is mechanically very similar to a Crown Victoria (Identical), meaning there isn't a whole lot of things to worry about really unless it's older or high mileage. You will get the same quirks the Vic had, probably the same problems down the road as a Vic. Town Car will have Rear Air Suspension which is something a Vic doesn't have (Typically reliable, but check rear wheels clearance for sagging if cars level) Check all the fancy dash lights because they are time consuming and costly to fix.

One thing on panthers I do though, ALWAYS FULLY TEST Climate Control System if your looking to buy. (Heat,AC,Vent,Floor,Defrost,et c) Some parts like that got very minor updates over the years and for that reason I would look for newer model years.

Aside from that all I can really say is they are certainly luxurious reliable vehicles. Good luck on the search!
    Last edited by EricGrain; 02-23-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EricGrain View Post
    I used to daily drive a Crown Vic LX too, my original plan was upgrading to a Town Car but rather amazingly, I found a Marauder before a Town Car.... The rest was obvious for me.

But I still did lots of research on the Town Cars, and still love them. My best advice would be to try and get as low mileage as you can because the car is mechanically very similar to a Crown Victoria (Identical), meaning there isn't a whole lot of things to worry about really unless it's older or high mileage. You will get the same quirks the Vic had, probably the same problems down the road as a Vic. Town Car will have Rear Air Suspension which is something a Vic doesn't have (Typically reliable, but check rear wheels clearance for sagging if cars level) Check all the fancy dash lights because they are time consuming and costly to fix.

One thing on panthers I do though, ALWAYS FULLY TEST Climate Control System if your looking to buy. (Heat,AC,Vent,Floor,Defrost,et c) Some parts like that got very minor updates over the years and for that reason I would look for newer model years.

Aside from that all I can really say is they are certainly luxurious reliable vehicles. Good luck on the search!

good info. thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2003 Marauder, Black (Formerly "Levi's"; Vortech, 597RWHP, 570RWTQ)
    2004 Marauder, Black (Stock + 4:10)
    2010 Challenger SRT8, 6 Speed (AEM Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, and some other stuff)
    2005 Ford Excursion Limited Diesel-Post Apocalyptic Bug Out Package

The Signature Limited is "the nice one". The Executives were geared for fleet/livery use. Basically, find one with wood on the steering wheel and you're getting the other goodies too. Not many options... sunroofs ended in 2007 and the HID headlights seem very rare. Radio and wheel choice seems pretty inconsequential.

Carriage roofs are often in demand but they seem to age and wear very poorly.

Use Fords "ETIS" system to run various VIN numbers and you'll find a thorough (if cryptic) detail of the car's original equipment.

In pictures, the gray and tan (camel) interiors are hard to distinguish. But the Camel has a nearly color-matched dash while the gray has a two-tone dark part that is a very different shade.

Good luck!
    Trilogy #146!!! Self-Installed with a little help!

Talking anything possible ?

May I have a 500 hp cartier L ?
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

I'm giving serious thought to a 600 hp Signature Limited.
    Trilogy #146!!! Self-Installed with a little help!

Talking whipper snapper

Crown Vics can't have self leveling rear suspension stock ? really ? Im slipping . I sold Fords for 25 years and I'm not sure LX Sport crown vics had air ride but I'll bet you a beer !

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley G View Post
    Crown Vics can't have self leveling rear suspension stock ? really ? Im slipping . I sold Fords for 25 years and I'm not sure LX Sport crown vics had air ride but I'll bet you a beer !
    Yes, you're right. One of my panthers is a 04 CV HPP. The Handling and Performance Package came with the air ride system.

Talking never believe webinars till you verify !

you can't beat 30 years of ownership ! and my livelyhood for long long time !
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious1 View Post
    Yes, you're right. One of my panthers is a 04 CV HPP. The Handling and Performance Package came with the air ride system.

Your going to have to out bid the limo companies that still seek out low mile newer Towncars. Sky's the limit on higher mileage older ones though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley G View Post
    You are going to owe a lot of guys a beer. Crown Vic Sports had rear suspension as did the Handling and Performance Package Vic's. So did Grand Marquis LS with the HPP package and the Grand Marquis LSE which was the GM version of the Sport.

My Sport had the rear air suspension which failed and the original owner swapped to poverty coil springs.

If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
    ~ Anatole France

2004 DTR 54k, Dark Charcoal, heated seats, moonroof, trunk organizer.
    Mods: K and N intake, Lido tune, Pro Guard rear bumper, stainless bumper inserts, res delete tips, misc
    UncleLar's first DTR

2004 Ford Crown Victoria Sport 100k, black, Dark Charcoal, stock and a zero option car.

I said Crown Victorias don't have Rear Air Suspension for the same reason I say EVERYONE has internet access.

I know the GMQ and TC had Air Suspension and that the CV had it AVAILABLE. But most of Crown Vics out there DON'T have RAS.

Last time I try saving time by skipping typing a story he didn't ask to hear.

then lets agree you are wrong on both accounts!
    I said Crown Victorias don't have Rear Air Suspension for the same reason I say EVERYONE has internet access.

I know the GMQ and TC had Air Suspension and that the CV had it AVAILABLE. But most of Crown Vics out there DON'T have RAS.

Last time I try saving time by skipping typing a story he didn't ask to hear.

damn....

Back to the Justified mobile. Get one!

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Talking either std. or available don't be a cheapskate!

Vic's, GMQ's, & T/C 's all have rear air suspension available. (if equipped).
    If you want a beer just show up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information