Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taurus SHO

Yes it can run on 87 but why run a lower octane on a boosted vehicle? And this whole gas mileage debate bothers me. It's a performance based car expect premium fuel and poor mileage.

An MKS, especially with the Livernois Tune, is very interesting.

I bought an '11 in August of '12 and kept it until the Spring of 15. (Wanted something more fun... which meant a manual transmission... first a 2012 BMW 535i and now a 2012 550i).

On trunks, they are huge in the Taurus/MKS, but the opening is a limiting factor. Front seat is a bit more intimate, back seat is roomier.

From a dig, my tuned MKS would take my Trilogy Marauder. From a roll, the Merc felt much torquier and faster.

More modern toys in the Lincoln, and IMHO nicer interior and the huge sunroof made up for the SHO's subtle performance image. Oh, Eibach springs for the MKS. I actually fitted Eibach springs (or was it another supplier?) spec'd for a regular non-SHO on my MKS. Dropped it an inch, handled much better, still rode nice. Bottomed (in the center) about 3x a year.

I've kept the Marauder and always will. Love that car. Didn't love the MKS. Great car and aside from the availablitiy of a manual transmission, likely a match for the BMW 5-series... especially if cost is a concern!

Oh, real-world... rainy day got to squeeze into a gap in traffic launches... the MKS was a dream!
    Trilogy #146!!! Self-Installed with a little help!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslim1 View Post
    I love the looks of the 2017 versus the current model year. Never really like the high rear end. This looks like a larger Fusion.

The useable Trunk space in the Marauder is way larger.
    I can put 60 individual 12packs of soda in the Marauder.
    Only about 40 fit in the MKS.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKMARAUDER04 View Post

I guess we will just disagree on this point; but 13.5 cu ft useable in the Marauder and only 9 cu ft useable in the MKS/ Taurus SHO ain't anywhere near to being close. BTW a 12-pack is .2243 cu ft (5"x5"x15.5").
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Quote Originally Posted by alec2538 View Post
    http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/11/2...oit-auto-show/

Almost 1k pounds lighter than a SHO, better looking (IMHO), better visibility (fact), 325 HP stock and AWD.
    Plus, the Livernois is already playing with tuning the 2.7 due to it's use in the Edge/MKX.
    Keep the MM for the weekend boat and drive the SNOT out of the Fusion on the daily.
    A big +1!
    Saving my $$ for next year's Ford Fusion Sport.....
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh View Post
    A big +1!

Saving my $$ for next year's Ford Fusion Sport.....

I had initially considered a Ford Fusion before deciding on the Taurus SHO. The styling was nice; but it just felt much smaller to me after driving the Marauder for so long. Lots smaller.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKMARAUDER04 View Post

You can get more bodies in the trunk of a panther......
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crouse View Post
    Does anyone own a newer Ford Taurus SHO? I'm thinking about selling or trading in my Marauder on a 2013 or 2014 SHO. Wondering how you like it compared to the Marauder. I love to run Auto Cross events and I think the AWD would do OK on the Auto-X course. Any comments would be appreciated.
    Having driven my 2000 Crown Vic for about 14 years before switching to my 2014 SHO, I think I can provide some useful info.

With just a tune my SHO is running 12.6 in the 1/4 mile. I think the Trilogy Marauders were in that range. The SHO can be driven in like 12 inches of snow with the factory Badyear Eagle RS-A due to the AWD. It is a front wheel drive AWD system that spins the rear driveshaft 100% of the time and engages the rear wheels with an electronic controlled clutch pack at the rear diff (handles 1000 ft-lb of torque).

The SHO is fairly agile for such a large vehicle but you definitely want a good tune to fix the drive by wire system otherwise the stock system feels lethargic.

I get 14-16 mpg in the winter and 18-20 mpg in the summer. It is designed for 87 octane and I've run 87 octane for years and years. There is knock retard with 87 octane with the factory tune.

The stock intake system gets gummed up by the PCV breather system so there are some mods you need to perform.

The stock turbos are small GT1549L's that could use an upgrade, along with the intercooler. The 6F55 transmission realistically handles about 450 whp , so about 50 whp more than a tune-only configuration.

The guys running catless downpipes and a cold air intake are only 0.1 to 0.2 faster than my tune-only SHO, so they aren't as restrictive as you'd think. If you want to run faster, you will need water/meth injection and an E20/E30 tune.

The stock direct injection high pressure fuel pump is a severe limitation as are the stock injectors. They are working on aftermarket HPFP's so we can run E85 (which requires a lot of fuel) which could help bump up power as well.

I wouldn't ever go back to a RWD car for a daily driver, especially on a car that runs in the 12s and can be driven in the snow without constantly changing tires back/forth.

Metro, do you still have your 2000 HPP? I remember the car and it was very nice.

If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
    ~ Anatole France

2004 DTR 54k, Dark Charcoal, heated seats, moonroof, trunk organizer.
    Mods: K and N intake, Lido tune, Pro Guard rear bumper, stainless bumper inserts, res delete tips, misc
    UncleLar's first DTR

2004 Ford Crown Victoria Sport 100k, black, Dark Charcoal, stock and a zero option car.

Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post

I wouldn't ever go back to a RWD car for a daily driver, especially on a car that runs in the 12s and can be driven in the snow without constantly changing tires back/forth.
    I agree with everything you said... except this. My MKS with AWD would go anywhere in the snow but it was unsafe... those fat 20" all-seasons wouldn't steer or stop.

My RWD BMW 550i (400hp) is in the shop and my loaned is an AWD X3 on all seasons. My sedan is on Blizzaks and will go anywhere I need it to. It will also stop hard on snow without the ABS chattering. The X3 goes, but can't stop or steer nearly as well as my sedan.

When you can't go, you have time to plan.

When you can't stop or steer, you don't.
    Trilogy #146!!! Self-Installed with a little help!

Corey: Yep! Still have it!

Quote Originally Posted by gpfarrell View Post
    I agree with everything you said... except this. My MKS with AWD would go anywhere in the snow but it was unsafe... those fat 20" all-seasons wouldn't steer or stop.
    The big snow storm we got after the Super Bowl about 2 years ago (Where Ferndale declared a state of emergency) was a good test for my RS-As. The SHO plowed through that stuff without any issues (literally - lots of snow packed behind the grille). Yes, stopping and taking off on ice is going to be an issue as with any vehicle without dedicated snow tires. I could stop, cut the wheels, and take off. The Crown Vic would have bogged down even with BFG All-Terrain T/As (which are mountain/snowflake rated) or snow tires. I can launch in slush as well with the AWD.

But I'll never go back to RWD for a daily driver and I used to do the snow tire swap exercise but gave up because it was a PITA. We don't get enough snow in SE MI to warrant them, but we get enough snow and cold that I can't run performance tires either. Heck, if I had the dough, I'd go with an AWD performance car. They launch like torpedoes out of a tube even with regular tires. If you want that extra assurance, snow tires on an AWD would make it even better. A car like the Hellcat is fun, but I wouldn't want to drive one in the snow even with snow tires. It's better to split the torque among 4 wheels instead of 2.

My SHO's 60' time is about 1.7-1.8 and that's with worn out 3-year old RS-As. I checked time slips for those with dedicated drag radials, and they are maybe 0.1 seconds faster in the 60'.

There is a reason I went with the non-PP SHO for 2014, it comes with 255/45R19's while the PP SHO has 245/45R20's. There is a difference in tread width based on OEM specs.

For some reason, these 255 RS-As stick like glue in everything except rain - they'd hydroplane badly when new compared to the factory 10+ year old Pirelli's on my 07 Mustang GT (I did a test). The SHO felt unsafe in the rain on flooded roads when new, whereas the old hard as a rock Pirellis on the GT sliced through standing water.

If they equipped the PP with all-seasons instead of those summer racing tires, I'd have gone with the PP. I picked my SHO up with 3 inches of ice/snow in the subdivisions. They wouldn't swap out the Eagle F1 tires at the dealership and wanted me to go to a local shop to do it. I opted for the non-PP.

I forgot to add:
    Stock SHO runs 10-11 psi, with a tune they can go up to 20 psi but the turbos lose efficiency (and pump out heat) above 16 psi.

Metroplex, I was hoping that you did. I remember the car from the old days of CVN. It was always a nice looking car and it was exactly optioned as I would have done if I bought one new.

If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
    ~ Anatole France

2004 DTR 54k, Dark Charcoal, heated seats, moonroof, trunk organizer.
    Mods: K and N intake, Lido tune, Pro Guard rear bumper, stainless bumper inserts, res delete tips, misc
    UncleLar's first DTR

2004 Ford Crown Victoria Sport 100k, black, Dark Charcoal, stock and a zero option car.

I had a 2010 SHO and I didn't like the AWD setup, but they changed in 2013 to a newer system that balances the take off / wheel spin much better. I've got two friends with 14 / 15 SHO's who love them; the 14 is modified with full exhaust, 3 bar map, CAI, and tune.
    03 Marauder- 300B, non heated seats, T/C, no CD changer
    03 Marauder- 300A, Eaton Swapped, SOLD

03 Marauder- 300A, 5544 of 7839 in 03, Trilogy #24, SOLD
    04 Marauder- 300B, SB with LF interior, 208k miles and still ticking SOLD

I'm not sure if they tweaked the AWD system, but 2010-2012 SHO's are different from 2013-up. The front brakes are revised on 2013-up because they'd overheat very easily on 2010-2012. I will say my 2014's front brakes tend to overheat after about 3-4 hard stops from about 110 mph.

Looking at my AWD power gauge, I can see the rear tires getting power first during take off with the fronts then getting most of the power later on.

The full exhaust (catless DP and cat-back) and CAI aren't really worth much power, maybe 0.1-0.2 on the 1/4 at most. The stock system is really efficient.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information