Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Requested / Stereo Choices

Advice Requested / Stereo Choices

I am looking for some advice regarding the MM OEM stereo. I have had the OEM stereo since I have owned the MM. Until recently, the AM/FM radio portion no longer works. The CD portion still works fine. I would like to stay with an OEM stereo since I am not a big audio person and do not want to spend $300 to $1,000 on an aftermarket stereo if I can avoid it. (I would rather spend my money on engine, tires, etc.).

I know there are numerous threads on aftermarket choices like Kenwood and Pioneer. I have heard that the 05 Ford Escape Audiophile OEM stereo is a good replacement. Over time, will the 05 Escape OEM stereo also lose the AM/FM radio portion too?

What is everyone's experience with the Escape stereo or other OEM replacement? Thank you in advance.

No known issues with escape radio. Easiest, cheapest upgrade for factory look and sounds better.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

I recently removed a aftermarket head unit out of my DD black car in favor of a 20.00 grand marquis head unit

My limited experience with the 2003 Grand Marquis unit is this

It looks just like the marauder head unit, but it's missing ONE button. That button allows 3 settings in the cabin where the audio is directed towards.

The GM drives the subwoofer and the 6 disc trunk player also works great

I'm sure it'll fail eventually, but for 20.00 I'll enjoy it

Guys here say the 6 disc escape radio sounds MUCH better!

Hope that helps
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

There are also eBay repair/exchange services for pretty cheap.
    I eat apples until my stomach feels much more full than its normal.

Ford Audiophile unit to replace stock MM

Ford Audiophile unit to replace stock MM:
    6L8T-18C815-FD
    Runs the factory sub and there is no need for the stock changer as the audiophile system is a 6-disc in unit player. Everything is right at your finger tips including steering wheel control function.

Good deal here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-05-06-...BYIFKK&vxp=mtr
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    No known issues with escape radio. Easiest, cheapest upgrade for factory look and sounds better.
    I put my escape radio in a couple of years ago ... it is now, not so good. I can not use the knob on the radio to adjust the volume. If you do, it is instant full volume loud. Many times the digits that tell you what station, well half of them are missing though some times they are all there.

Now, I have heard no one else complain about one. I also bought a used one, so no real complaints from me. However, just a note, that sometimes they may still go bad.

I am currently looking for a new radio for mine, but I want the blue tooth functionality, so aftermarket for me.
    Previous
    2003 DPB 232 fo 328.

Been eyeing that one. I first came across it here when I was looking for a replacement radio for another vehicle:

https://radio-upgrade.com/index.php?...ct_detail&p=80

Honestly, it sounds great for what it is from the description. It also looks to be direct plug n play, but I could be off on that. My main considerations are (1) steering wheel controls and whether I need a separate apparatus to get them to interface, and (2) speed at which to flip through the different screens/touchscreen interface, etc. On the latter point, most other aftermarket touch screen units have been laggy when it comes to changing screens/functions, etc, and I hate that. Then again, I haven't bought an aftermarket unit in 5 years.

I've watched some videos of it (on other vehicles) on youtube, looks like it all works. Sterring wheel controls work right from the get-go i suppose. The only things that bugs me abut them is the startup/boot time. About 30 seconds

Look up "s160 install" or something like that on YouTube to watch.

How about this one? It appears it will even support the steering wheel buttons.

https://www.amazon.com/Developed-Lol...5%3A2470955011

Audiophile radio, aux/sat button for aux input.

I've decided to go with the Escape audiophile radio and ordered one off ebay.

I noticed the Sat and Aux buttons on the radio and investigated. On the wiring diagram for the escape, there are 4 pins on the harness labeled low level audio in for left and right channel + and - respectively and they seem to be dedicated for the Sat function of the radio. It appears you could aux-in from a media player if you simply tied these pins to a 3.5mm female audio jack. Has anyone done this? I see $60-150 solutions online that accomplish the same thing, but they aren't as tidy as just adding an audio jack to the face of the radio...which I'm considering.

Quote Originally Posted by ByronRACE View Post
    I've decided to go with the Escape audiophile radio and ordered one off ebay.

I noticed the Sat and Aux buttons on the radio and investigated. On the wiring diagram for the escape, there are 4 pins on the harness labeled low level audio in for left and right channel + and - respectively and they seem to be dedicated for the Sat function of the radio. It appears you could aux-in from a media player if you simply tied these pins to a 3.5mm female audio jack. Has anyone done this? I see $60-150 solutions online that accomplish the same thing, but they aren't as tidy as just adding an audio jack to the face of the radio...which I'm considering.
    I have a Pioneer AVIC X940BT and I ran the audio in to a jack I installed just under the lip of the center console. I didn't want a bunch of wires hanging from the radio. I also have a iPod interface that is connected to an iPod in the glovebox.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    I have a Pioneer AVIC X940BT and I ran the audio in to a jack I installed just under the lip of the center console. I didn't want a bunch of wires hanging from the radio. I also have a iPod interface that is connected to an iPod in the glovebox.
    Would love to see a picture or two.

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Marauder View Post
    Would love to see a picture or two.
    AUX input

Headunit (old AVIC D2)

Anti-theft device
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information