Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At least they admit it!

At least they admit it!

Turdyota has finally admitted that they make bland road going appliances!

Akio Toyoda has issued a companywide decree for "no more boring cars." And to back it up, the Toyota Motor Corp. president has given designers greater clout than ever.

The shift of power away from engineers delivered its first daring design in the futuristic, fin-tailed 2016 Prius.

Anyone seen one of these hideous POS yet?
    I have! .... I didn't think that they could make that little Prius turd any uglier.

I was wrong!

The latest is the 2018 Camry sedan, with its bold proportions and flared sheet metal.

At the Camry's debut this month in Detroit, Toyoda asked the overcapacity crowd if the eighth-generation sedan was sexy or really sexy.

P-ul-LEASE!.....

It speaks to a dramatic, if risky, move from the ho-hum Toyota of old.

I can't wait for the roads to be clogged with the inevitable Camry 'S'.....OOOOOH!....

The key to the automaker's styling push is a revamped vehicle-development strategy that elevates a new "product chief designer" to work alongside the chief engineer as equal partners in creating a car.

The idea would have been unthinkable at the world's biggest automaker just a few years ago.

For decades, design was routinely sacrificed at the hands of Toyota's production engineers, a coterie revered internally as "production gods" for their relentless pursuit of efficiency and the brutal veto power they wielded over any product flourish deemed too frivolous for the factory.

But Toyoda, in his own pursuit of sexy cars, has cut them down a notch.

Starting with the fourth-generation Prius, Toyota has overhauled how products are designed. The product chief designer was hatched as a kind of guardian of the styling studio's true intent, shepherding it from the day of the initial sketch to the car's line-off.

The gambit could easily have gone awry.

Camry Chief Engineer Masato Katsumata, who also led development of the current, seventh-generation Camry, remembers the old days of the overlording production gods.

"Normally Toyota styling is not so sexy or three-dimensional. That's because, I'm sorry to say, on the production engineering side, they do not take risks," Katsumata said.

Quality control was job one, and complicated designs that necessitated complicated production methods needlessly raised the danger of defects.

Then there were the added costs of producing complex sheet-metal stamps.

"So then finally, the designer's direction is pulled back," Katsumata said.

It required pressure from the very top to break the mold.

"It basically comes down to someone at the top saying, "We have to do this.' And giving design a much stronger voice than ever before in this company," said Ian Cartabiano, the Toyota design veteran who penned the initial 2-inch sketch of the new Camry in his calendar journal.

"And now, because of Akio, design has a really strong voice," he told Automotive News.

In Detroit, Toyoda conceded, "It's no secret that I like to involve myself in the design process."

But Cartabiano, chief designer at Toyota's Calty studio in California, also played a key role in the change. He pushed the envelope as designer of some of Toyota's most striking recent vehicles, including the Lexus LF-LC concept sport coupe and the Toyota C-HR subcompact crossover.

For the Camry, styling stewardship was entrusted to Akira Kubota as product chief designer. Cartabiano said Kubota faithfully fulfilled his duty of shepherding the original vision.

"We actually started with that 2-inch doodle," Cartabiano said of his calendar book drawing. "And it became sketch, bigger sketch, bigger sketch, model. But that original intention followed all the way through to the cars.

"It was totally new for us," he said. "There's always been a designer, but the chief engineer has been the top guy. It was always just 100 percent engineering."

The Camry was a tough test of Toyota's quest for zest. Go too wild, and the traditionally vanilla family sedan might alienate the masses that have made it America's best-selling car for 15 years straight. Katsumata's Camry development team also wanted to maximize the functionality of the car to counter the public's stampede to utility vehicles.

Designers eschewed the fashion of ever-narrowing greenhouses to create bigger windows and clear visibility, Cartabiano said. Toyota also stretched back the car's roof peak to give more headroom in the rear seat and added 2 inches to the wheelbase to improve rear door access. The trunk lid opens almost past vertical to allow better cargo stowing.

But the Camry makes the biggest waves with its more dynamic exterior contours.

Part of the breakthrough came from Toyoda forcing the change. But new metal-stamping innovations also cleared the way for creating the designers' sharp creases and curvy edges without the splintering of fragile edges in the factory. The advent of high-tensile steel also helped -- as does the fact that Toyota, as one of the world's richest automakers, can afford to splurge on new technologies.

"The fact that production engineering can make the shapes that designers dream about, that's really great for us," Cartabiano said. "I think you're going to see a lot of kick ass products coming out of Toyota in the next couple years. And Camry's a good start."

The problem I see with Terdyota's new philosophy is this:

'Car people' and car enthusiasts are NOT going to flock to Turdyota to buy a razzle dazzle new Camry or Prius.

And all of the faithful Turdyota lemmings most likely will NOT like the razzle dazzle styling on their new Turdyota toasters.

If you've been very successful selling TONS of boring cars to the lemmings...Why screw with success?
    Last edited by Joe Walsh; 02-02-2017 at 04:22 AM.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

At least they admit it!

Toyota drivers are the absolute worst on the road .... And have no damn idea where they are going. This is why they buy Toyotas. Corolla is the worst ... Followed by Prius, Camry, and Accord in order. Stupid was bad enough .... Now we'll get stupid and ugly.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. When you give stylists too much leeway, they make cars like the Nissan Murano...Subaru Tribeca...Pontiac Aztek...or any of the current Lexus offerings with a front end that looks like Darth Vader's helmet. Them are some truly hideous cars...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerauder View Post
    Toyota drivers are the absolute worst on the road .... And have no damn idea where they are going. This is why they buy Toyotas. Corolla is the worst ... Followed by Prius, Camry, and Accord in order. Stupid was bad enough .... Now we'll get stupid and ugly.

LOL...

I agree 100% Charlie!!

I once thought that it was a tie between Terdyota and Honda for the stupidest car owners on the road
    (not drivers...because that would imply some type of control over their vehicle)
    ....but Terdyota owners have proven to be the most asinine, oblivious, distracted morons on the road!
    Last edited by Joe Walsh; 02-01-2017 at 07:48 PM.
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)

Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Damned if they do, damned if they don't. When you give stylists too much leeway, they make cars like the Nissan Murano...Subaru Tribeca...Pontiac Aztek...
    or any of the current Lexus offerings with a front end that looks like Darth Vader's helmet. Them are some truly hideous cars...
    So true!

I have to stifle my gag reflex everytime I see a Lexus....

Gawd Awful UGLY pieces of sheetmetal and plastic!

Anyone that knows me knows that I have not been a fan of foreign cars in the past. My thoughts have change over the last couple of years on this matter. I was never a fan of the Camry. I remember when there was a class action suit brought to Toyota about the 3.0 liter engines that were in many of their products including the Camry. With that being said I must say that the new Camry is not that bad of a design. Yes it still looks very Asian but at least they tried to put a little, even if it is a little bit of personality in it. Looks as good as the bland but popular Accord. Would I buy one, probably not. I think that one of the best design studios is own by none other than Hyundai and Kia. The new Kia Stinger will be a huge hit for them.

BTW, the worst drivers are the RAM Truck guys that think their "Hemi" can propel around any disaster or obstacle.
    2004 Silver Birch; Sold in 2009
    Trilogy #73, 410's, K&N Air Intake, Widen Rear Wheels, Flowmaster 50 Series, Balanced Driveshaft
    415 RWHP, 436 RWTQ; Best time 12.9
    Kenwood Audio, Signal Mirrors, GodsHead Badges on front and back

Don't even get me started on BMW drivers...arrogant asshats.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I like the "question mark" tail lights on the new Prius. The question is, why did you buy that THING?

My dads Camry has 330k and runs like a top! Few timing belts, some plugs lots of tires and still knocks out 28mpg

He drives his marauder and turbo regal like a *******! Camry not so much
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

It could be worse, Elio's could actually get produced.

If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
    ~ Anatole France

2004 DTR 54k, Dark Charcoal, heated seats, moonroof, trunk organizer.
    Mods: K and N intake, Lido tune, Pro Guard rear bumper, stainless bumper inserts, res delete tips, misc
    UncleLar's first DTR

2004 Ford Crown Victoria Sport 100k, black, Dark Charcoal, stock and a zero option car.

Haven't seen a good looking car come out of Japan in a long time. A couple of 'cute' ones but nothing that made me want to go buy one. Bought a Titan in 2008 because of value and options for the money vs. looks. It's OK looking but it's not going to win any beauty awards.

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    ...or any of the current Lexus offerings with a front end that looks like Darth Vader's helmet...
    That's awesome! I knew it reminded me of something, I just couldn't put my finger on it until now!

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post

Ahhhhh.....The Nissan Puke and the Nissan Pube!

Yes, two more hideous examples of 'sexy' styling ...

Well on the NASCAR end of the world JOE GIBBS looks at thing differently [ but Toyo pays him to play ]
    Roger that

Assembled 8/25/03. In service 11/5/03.[Safford Lincoln Mercury] . Returned from Service to Dundalk Lincoln Mercury 7/12/11 Adopted and reassigned to Street Duty 7/29/11 .at Car Center [Waldorf Ford] /Waldorf MD. # 27 of 997 silver burch #103 of 3214 Sold Oct 17, 2015. Replaced with 2016 XLT Explorer with 3:66 gear 4WD [ interceptor package] In addition 2015 -V6 Mustang added to the corral April 17,2015 with Roush upgrades .February 2018 upgraded to Explorer Sport , Ford blue ,intake upgrade, intake mod, Unleashed super tune, Governor removed. 1969 Mark III ,Forest Green still in fleet. Carlisle favorite .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information