Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DRLs on the cheap?

DRLs on the cheap?

Okay, so I know Ford makes a DRL (daytime running lamp) electronics module for our cars, and it's about $100 or so. When I asked the dealer what the labor would be to install the DRL option, he said, "about $200 since we have to get into the harness." So, I'm thinking, ****** that. Can't I just make the optical sensor opaque or block it out somehow? Then if I leave the headlamp switch in the "auto" position, I would then have automatic DRLs all the time for free!

My question is, where is the light sensor? Is the sensor on the blinking "alarm" LED somewhere?

2003 Mercury Marauder 300B, matte-black, S55 taillights.
    B&M transmission/Precision Industries TC; Eibach-lowered; Addco rear anti-sway; Metco rear control arms; Steeda UDP; 180° 'stat.

Quote Originally Posted by NBC Shooter
    Okay, so I know Ford makes a DRL (daytime running lamp) electronics module for our cars, and it's about $100 or so. When I asked the dealer what the labor would be to install the DRL option, he said, "about $200 since we have to get into the harness." So, I'm thinking, ****** that. Can't I just make the optical sensor opaque or block it out somehow? Then if I leave the headlamp switch in the "auto" position, I would then have automatic DRLs all the time for free!

My question is, where is the light sensor? Is the sensor on the blinking "alarm" LED somewhere?
    If you look on top of the dash around the PATS light, you should see what looks like a small vent. I believe this is actually the sensor that turns the lights when it gets dark. Put a piece of heavy paper on it and check to make sure I'm right, something that will not let the light pass through to the sensor. I also think the harness it already there, I'll have to check my wiring manual for sure. Some others here have done this and I think they only had to purchase the relay..........

Bob, USNavy Retired
    2010 Taurus SHO Red Candy Metallic
    402A, 5% tint, Valentine 1, Laser Blaster,
    Livernois Stage 2tune, Airaid CAI
    Corsa cat-back, Lower molding stripe
    Born 10/27/09, came home 2/20/10

'03 MM 300A Gone, but not forgotten!
    Born 9/25/02, went home 11/04/02, passed on 3/21/06, Mileage: 100K

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!" (Unknown source)

Exclamation Drl

Quote Originally Posted by NBC Shooter

The electronic module does more than turn your lights on , It controls your voltage on the headlamps by cuting power by half so as not to to have your lights on at full output ...
    I'll keep my Freedom, my Money, my Religion, my Guns & you can keep the " Change ".

More questions for those who know...once DRL's is installed, is there still an OFF position? Are the dash lights on all the time also?
    Sactown

Quote Originally Posted by Sactown
    More questions for those who know...once DRL's is installed, is there still an OFF position? Are the dash lights on all the time also?
    Just had this done, just like knowing they are on and it was done correctly. Anyway the standard "off" position still works but the DRL's are always on, the dash lights are not on until the headlights are on full. So now I can leave the lights on "auto" and if its cloudy, too contrasty or raining, folks can see me coming and going and I don't have to worry about turning my headlamps off after I leave the car.
    Steven

2004 Marauder Black, loaded
    Vortec S/C
    4.10s
    3500 PI Stall
    Kook's headers
    476.9 rwhp 385 lbs/tq
    KVR's, QA1's, M&Z control arms, rear sway bar
    Lidio tune
    2004 Suburban Dark Charcoal
    1970 W-30 442 convertible twilight Blue

My DRL's go "off" when I'm in park and apply the parking brake. That's the only time I've found.
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain- sold....

2016 Harley Davidson Street Glide - Olive Gold

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

1995 Schwinn High Plains 21 speed, custom gearing.

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    What does he mean they'll have to get into the wiring? On a Marauder the module should just plug in to the harness. A plug outlet should already be present, with a "dummy" in it

no harness

Quote Originally Posted by RCSignals
    What does he mean they'll have to get into the wiring? On a Marauder the module should just plug in to the harness. A plug outlet should already be present, with a "dummy" in it
    dummy was present, he saw no harness just a splice kit.

If anyone has found the plug already installed, please advise. I have searched for wiring which Service Manual Wiring Diagram indicates but haven't found it to be installed on a 300A built 6-12-02.
    Would like to have DRL but didn't like the underdash kit sold by Ford.
    The only members I have communicated with that have Factory wiring has been Canadian members.
    Bill
    03 Mercury Marauder, 300A
    SOLD
    2005 Lincoln Town Car, ADTR Supercharger, TCE Brake Lines, MO's Tune
    2022 Lincoln Aviator Reserve AWD

Quote Originally Posted by stevengerard
    Just had this done, just like knowing they are on and it was done correctly. Anyway the standard "off" position still works but the DRL's are always on, the dash lights are not on until the headlights are on full. So now I can leave the lights on "auto" and if its cloudy, too contrasty or raining, folks can see me coming and going and I don't have to worry about turning my headlamps off after I leave the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Long
    My DRL's go "off" when I'm in park and apply the parking brake. That's the only time I've found.
    Sorry to sound like a bonehead, but once DRL's are installed, is it impossible to turn off the headlamps while driving?
    Sactown

mmmmmmarauder Guest

ask a stupid question...

for $100 I would just pull the headlight switch manually...

Is there some kind of LAW that requires this...are you in Canada?
    Perhaps you are just a safety fanatic?

If you want to drive like you are in a funeral procession, be my guest...
    I personally think you attract more attention laying on the horn every
    few blocks...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Long
    That's odd!?! My (Canadian) DRLs do not In fact, I wish there was a way to disable them, at least while parked... Uhmm... No specific reason why I'd be parked, at night, and not want to draw attention...
    2001 Silver SVT Lightning - 2011 Blue Flame F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost

SOLD 2003 Marauder (300A)

Quote Originally Posted by Murader03
    If you look on top of the dash around the PATS light, you should see what looks like a small vent. I believe this is actually the sensor that turns the lights when it gets dark. Put a piece of heavy paper on it and check to make sure I'm right, something that will not let the light pass through to the sensor.
    Yeah, I thought that's where the sensor was too (the PATS light). But I tried covering it with no success.

2003 Mercury Marauder 300B, matte-black, S55 taillights.
    B&M transmission/Precision Industries TC; Eibach-lowered; Addco rear anti-sway; Metco rear control arms; Steeda UDP; 180° 'stat.

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Terror
    If anyone has found the plug already installed, please advise. I have searched for wiring which Service Manual Wiring Diagram indicates but haven't found it to be installed on a 300A built 6-12-02.
    Would like to have DRL but didn't like the underdash kit sold by Ford.
    The only members I have communicated with that have Factory wiring has been Canadian members.
    The place the DRL module plugs in should be under the radiator shield, on the wiring that passes in front of the radiator brace. It might be tucked in somewhere out of obvious sight.

'03 CVPIs do not have the plug, but the Marauder should have.

Ok, the kit I had installed ( ford factory part) had no plug, it was all spliced in.
    DRL's have no way, as installed, to turn them off while driving. I'd imagine that a kill switch could be installed to do that.
    I paid $69.00 for the module and $200.00 for the install. When I looked at it, it was worth it.
    I like being able to just keep my headlight switch set to the far left auto setting and drive. The only time I touch it is to turn the driving lights on.
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain- sold....

2016 Harley Davidson Street Glide - Olive Gold

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

1995 Schwinn High Plains 21 speed, custom gearing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information