Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Stereo Question: Will a double DIN head unit fit in the Marauder???

Car Stereo Question: Will a double DIN head unit fit in the Marauder???

I upgraded my speakers to Boston Acoustics NX87s last year, but have felt the stock head unit was not getting the best out of them. I am contemplating changing my head unit and was wondering if anyone has gotten a double DIN to fit in the Marauder. The opening looks like a double DIN, but online sources like Crutchfield do not seem to list any double DIN units fitting the Marauder. I am not a big fan of how a single DIN looks in the car.

I was leaning toward this Clarion unit because I think it will fit best with the interior:

http://www.nextag.com/serv/javaworld...page=1&click=n

The other options are JVC and Kenwood double DINs, but they look a little too ricey for me. Also, is there any special provisions the head unit must have to get the steering wheel radio controls working?
    2012 Mustang GT500
    2001 Corvette Z06
    1992 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance 5.7L

Previous MMs:
    2003 Dark Blue Pearl/Charcoal
    2003 Black/Charcoal 300A

blkgrape Guest
    The head unit is technically a din and a half. I'm not a 100% sure if you have enough clearance with the dash trim to get a double din in, in behind there is room but i think you would have to trim the dash panel a bit in order for it to fit. Besides that a custom bracket would have to made to hold the radio in place, there's no kit available for a double din.

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by blkgrape
    The head unit is technically a din and a half. I'm not a 100% sure if you have enough clearance with the dash trim to get a double din in, in behind there is room but i think you would have to trim the dash panel a bit in order for it to fit. Besides that a custom bracket would have to made to hold the radio in place, there's no kit available for a double din.

Sorry

yep, din and1/2 is correct. Not too much trouble to fit a double din though if you're a little determined.
    Much easier to get more out of your new speakers by adding a new amplifier.
    I like the stealth look of keeping the OEM unit.

Meggamaxx, which did the upgrade to my system, has told me that this unit:

Will fit, though they must make some mounting accomodations. This is an AWESOME unit, and is on my list for mods for the spring. It would be in my car now if I could swing it. I've seen this demonstrated and in a vehicle.

Here's the web site describing it, and note that you can shop and get a lower price than MSRP shown.
    http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...productId=2557

If this is out of your range, consider just upgrading your subwoofer and addiing an amp for the sub and your speakers. I would take your OEM sub and amp completely out and let an autosound installer put in a sub in a custom enclosure. Mine is great (I had a custom wavebox built in the bottom of the trunk), but I particularly like one I saw where the box and amp are on the shelf where the spare is, and the spare is relocated to the floor of the trunk.
    A quality sub and amping up your cabin speakers will do WONDERS, and I can testify that the OEM head unit does a great job once hooked up to quality speakers and amps. And you still get the use of your CD changer, Wheel controls, and maintain factory look of the dash. You may want to consider an XM Commander, too, as once I installed mine I have never played my CD changer, FM radio, or single CD.

Thanks, I appreciate the responses. I was not even aware that you could hook an aftermarket amp up to the factory head unit. I though that the outputs that are required for an amp are not typically available in OEM head units. Ideally, I would like to keep the stock head unit for the appearance and to retain the stock CD changer. Does anyone have an amp they would recommend for driving the four speakers?

Donny, I was also looking at that Kenwood unit. It is sweet, but I really don't want to spend that much right now. I might switch to a DVD screen unit once the pricing gets a little more reasonable down the road. And yes, I definetly will get a sub and perhaps XM radio as well.
    2012 Mustang GT500
    2001 Corvette Z06

Previous MMs:
    2003 Black/Charcoal 300A

I installed a Pioneer Double Din unit, which fit perfectly. OEM unit slid out, Double Din slid in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2004 BLACK MERCURY MARAUDER
    SCT
    JLT Cold Air Induction
    PHP Intake Spacer
    Cobra Ported Manifolds
    Flowmaster 50's
    Magnaflow X-Pipe
    Stallion TC
    4:10's
    Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
    Rear sway bar

1969 GREEN MACH I MUSTANG GT
    351 Windsor
    Shelby Cam
    Shelby Tri-Y headers
    Ported and polished heads
    10.5:1 Domed pistons/rods
    Balanced and blue-printed
    Offenhauser Intake
    NOS plummed under intake (8 fuel injectors, 8 NOS injectors)
    Art Carr TC
    Tranny shift kit
    Dual ignition with MSD
    3:90 Posi rear end
    Bought car when I was 16 and still have it

Double-din?

I'm wondering the same thing. I first changed to Infinity 6X8 speakers but then noticed that the factory head unit was too weak to push them. Then I added a Infinity 4-channel amp but has way too much "hiss" due to the speaker line level connections. No rca plugs on the factory head. I'm having the amp removed and I've been looking at the Kenwood Double-din DVD player but I'm not sure if it will fit. Although the Pioneer looked like a good fit so I'm confused?
    2004 Marauder
    Black
    Dark Charcoal Interior

2006 Mustang GT
    Satin Silver
    Black Leather Int.
    5-Speed Auto Trans.

2003 Grand Marquis LSE
    Silver

Quote Originally Posted by mdmarauder
    I'm wondering the same thing. I first changed to Infinity 6X8 speakers but then noticed that the factory head unit was too weak to push them. Then I added a Infinity 4-channel amp but has way too much "hiss" due to the speaker line level connections. No rca plugs on the factory head. I'm having the amp removed and I've been looking at the Kenwood Double-din DVD player but I'm not sure if it will fit. Although the Pioneer looked like a good fit so I'm confused?
    As Directedby posted, the Pioneer is a good fit. I know little about installation, which is why I leave it to the pros to install. My system has no hiss and they integrated it with Concept amps and speakers, a Kenwood sub. They also wired in my XM Commander (using a Blitzsafe adapter). The sound is excellent.

The beauty of their installation is when I'm ready to upgrade to the Kenwood head unit, everything done on the previous upgrade will work seamlessly. The upgrade will entail replacing the OEM head unit, installing a steering wheel control adapter, removing the OEM CD Changer, and installing a GPS navigation module, an XM Direct interface (to replace the Commander to the head unit will control the XM radio - the Kenwood presently is set to use Sirius), and maybe an MP3 keg. I may not do the keg because with Satellite radio I never listen to CD's or FM radio any more.

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Quote Originally Posted by Directedby
    I installed a Pioneer Double Din unit, which fit perfectly. OEM unit slid out, Double Din slid in.
    That's what I understand. I was looking at Pioneer double DIN units last year. but decided to stay stock.
    Supposedly our units are DIN and a half, but seems they are more Double DIN in fact.

Eclipse AVN 2454

You may want to look at an Eclipse AVN 2454. It is a double din unit. I installed it in my car. Ties directly into the factory harness and has an option that integrates it perfectly with the steering wheel controls. Great sound, DVD navigation, and a tie in for satelite radio if desired or it can use the trunck mounted CD changer if sat radio is not desired. Great unit, Great fit.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by ADE 1000
    I was not even aware that you could hook an aftermarket amp up to the factory head unit. I though that the outputs that are required for an amp are not typically available in OEM head units. Ideally, I would like to keep the stock head unit for the appearance and to retain the stock CD changer. Does anyone have an amp they would recommend for driving the four speakers?
    You just need a couple of line level converters like this one:
    PAC Model #SNI8 Line Output Converter
    * Supplies a standard line output from a speaker high level input, as from a rear
    speaker connection on the receiver
    * Converts from receivers 2 to 9 RMS watts per channel
    * Completely shielded from noise & vehicle interference

As far as amplifier recommendations go, Look for a 5 channel amp on the net and stay with a good brand. They are easy to install and can drive all 4 speakers and a subwoofer. I chose a Soundstream Rubicon originally and was very happy with the quality and results but have since switched to MA Audio in my thirst for more power.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rookie1
    You just need a couple of line level converters like this one:
    PAC Model #SNI8 Line Output Converter
    * Supplies a standard line output from a speaker high level input, as from a rear
    speaker connection on the receiver
    * Converts from receivers 2 to 9 RMS watts per channel
    * Completely shielded from noise & vehicle interference

As far as amplifier recommendations go, Look for a 5 channel amp on the net and stay with a good brand. They are easy to install and can drive all 4 speakers and a subwoofer. I chose a Soundstream Rubicon originally and was very happy with the quality and results but have since switched to MA Audio in my thirst for more power.
    That looks like a good route, time to start shopping.
    2012 Mustang GT500
    2001 Corvette Z06

Previous MMs:
    2003 Black/Charcoal 300A

Quote Originally Posted by pacammer
    You may want to look at an Eclipse AVN 2454. It is a double din unit. I installed it in my car. Ties directly into the factory harness and has an option that integrates it perfectly with the steering wheel controls. Great sound, DVD navigation, and a tie in for satelite radio if desired or it can use the trunck mounted CD changer if sat radio is not desired. Great unit, Great fit.

Gary
    The Eclipse unit looks very nice. Any idea how much it costs?
    2012 Mustang GT500
    2001 Corvette Z06

Previous MMs:
    2003 Black/Charcoal 300A

Can someone post a link for the Eclipse AVN 2454.
    I've searched the Internet but all I can find is other people's installations.
    Pete...

2k04 BLACK Mercury Marauder 300A #810 of 3223
    DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    2k19 AGATE FORD Edge ST with Performance Brakes
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

Water Wetter, K&N AirCharger/Drycharger, SS Inserts,
    SilverStar 9007SU, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Steering Wheel Badge,
    AutoMeter Gauges (Oil Press, Voltmeter, and Trans Oil Temp),
    ASC 840 VSS Sunroof, Kenwood KFC-C6879ie x4, COBRA Fender Badges,
    Z&M Rear Control Arms, FORD GT Coil Covers,
    Gorilla Lock Lugs all around, Decklid Designs Trunk Lid Liner,
    SCT Xcalibrator2 (Innovative Interceptors) w/Lidio's (Alternative Automotive) Marauder 3.55 tuning,
    4R75W by Fred Brown's Performance Transmission, tuned to match Lidio's tune,
    DG Motorsports Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover, Zack's Badgeless Grille,
    Accel 140034-8 Coil Packs, Granatelli Motorsports Coil-On-Plug wires
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of rice,
    I will fear no turbo for displacement is with me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information