Thread: Transmission Problem Fixed

Talking Transmission Problem Fixed

It’s good to be back home from the trip to Team Ford in Atlanta. In the last two years I have read thousands of posts and visited several Marauder groups within the United States. I will never forget the Welcome to LasVegas gathering and my first official meet in Hershey P.A. The N.Y crew laid out the red carpet for Pam and I and we were involved with their new game called “Find the Diamond”, hosted by Martyo and his insurance company. What a great bunch of people coast to coast. The Southern Marauder have their own unique flavor and style. As an enthusiast of modified Marauders I thought I died and resurrected in Ford Heaven. The Team Ford shop is a great experience for everyone to see.

In the last two years of ownership I have had several major problems and a handful of minor ones. Motor at 10.000 and transmission at 20.000 miles approximately. These type of headaches makes me review my loyalty toward ford products. As some of you may know I have not had much joy since L/M dealer rebuilt my transmission and my PI converter installed. I sent out several SOS messages to vendors on this site and members. All of them offered assistance and directed me to a solution. It was now up to me to save the funds and make a decision. I don’t want to travel around the world because I thought this would be a simple fix for some of the local shops in my area. The laundry list of suggestions was getting larger and my aggravation level was off the scale. This year alone I spent thousands of dollars trying to make my car perform better. Following the decision tree that most members on this board used to enhance their cars looked like a good idea. But in my case things were not working out as planned.

During the Cam (Capital Area Marauders) meeting last month and I was able to drive one of the member’s cars. He recently upgraded his transmission and installed a shift kit. Wow, now I had a baseline on how a transmission should run. I am very thankful for the ride and it’s not often that I get to ride in another Marauder that is not on the dealer’s lot. Now I was on a mission and this problem was going to be resolved one way or another.

Todd Fisher sent me a P.M that he had similar transmissions issues and others in the areas found a reliable source that would tune the shift points and torque converter locking and unlocking problems. He also explained that Fordnut ( a member on this site ) would also be tuning his car that morning. Others in the area were also meeting for breakfast and a mini meet. The temptation was overwhelming to attend the Atlanta group breakfast but as a bonus I would see the Secret Project Car, now that’s an offer I couldn’t refuse.

Explaining to my wife that I was going to Atlanta to see someone’s car and meet a bunch of guys in the morning for breakfast took some real creative talent. She claimed that I love the car more then her and she wanted to see what all the hype was all about. So she packed up the bags and off we traveled. To keep a long story short we were very happy to meet and greet everyone that showed up. I never had the chance to attend Marauder Ville 1or 2, but I believe that we captured the spirit of the occasion. I would like to thank the Southern Marauders and Team Ford. We had a great time and look forward to returning in the spring. My transmission issues were resolved as promised and we feel deeply indebted to Todd Fisher for the weeks of effort and costly phone calls. YOU ARE THE MAN. A special thanks should also go out Logan and the members on this site, because without this place we would truly be lost.
    Last edited by merc; 07-26-2004 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by merc

During the Cam (Capital Area Marauders) meeting last month and I was able to drive one of the member’s cars. He recently upgraded his transmission and installed a shift kit. Wow, now I had a baseline on how a transmission should run. I am very thankful for the ride and it’s not often that I get to ride in another Marauder that is not on the dealer’s lot. Now I was on a mission and this problem was going to be resolved one way or another.
    \
    Glad you finally got that transmission fixed. Letting you drive my car at the CAM meet was my pleasure. Now, if I can't get my issues resolved at INDY, I guess I'll be making a trip to ATL in the near future.

Hey, I just thought of something, what tuner/softrware are they using at Team Ford? Maybe I'd be able to there programming loaded onto my tuner....

Just a thought!

Bob, USNavy Retired
    2010 Taurus SHO Red Candy Metallic
    402A, 5% tint, Valentine 1, Laser Blaster,
    Livernois Stage 2tune, Airaid CAI
    Corsa cat-back, Lower molding stripe
    Born 10/27/09, came home 2/20/10

'03 MM 300A Gone, but not forgotten!
    Born 9/25/02, went home 11/04/02, passed on 3/21/06, Mileage: 100K

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!" (Unknown source)

Quote Originally Posted by Murader03
    \
    Glad you finally got that transmission fixed. Letting you drive my car at the CAM meet was my pleasure. Now, if I can't get my issues resolved at INDY, I guess I'll be making a trip to ATL in the near future.

Hey, I just thought of something, what tuner/softrware are they using at Team Ford? Maybe I'd be able to there programming loaded onto my tuner....

Just a thought!
    SCT. If you look at the latest issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords, they have a good article about SCT software, chips, tuners, etc.

Todd and I have both been working with Aric on programming our cars (both have Stallion TC's, though his also has the shift kit). I think we now have a program that is to both of our likings. The issue about 2nd gear power dip is gone, shifting into OD too soon, downshifting at 45, AND bumping up idle speed in gear, foot on the brake, to compensate for underdrive pulleys and the electric water pump. Loading this program onto your tuner is a snap, and has been done for other Southern Marauder owners. Aric will also custom tweak your program per your tastes. It's well worth the trip, especially when you can have Steve put the shift kit on (and get a deep tranny pan installed) at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Murader03
    \

Just a thought!
    Personally I would listen to Donny, he can help you with the Tuner stuff. He has a great car with a ton of features. I enjoyed his companionship and love for his car. I only wish I had scheduled a few more days to visit with everyone. This was mostly a business trip for me.

Mark,

It was a delight and certainly OUR pleasure to have you in Atlanta. And, we took a vote...and decided to make you BOTH "Honorary Members" of the Southern Marauders "Breakfast Club". With this honor comes MANY benefits...like:

A ride in the Project Car
    An extra helping of grits
    "Personal contact service" with Donny who is the MASTER at finding whatever you need on the web...AND, he will guarantee all your bills will come s l o w through the U.S. Postal Service

and, the knowing that you are welcome ANYTIME to join us!

Take care, and glad to see you satisfied with the trip.

Yeah, being an honorary member of the SE MM Breakfast club sure does have it's perks!
    -Jonathan McClain
    -EVOOA Member# 1337
    -2003 Mercury Marauder DBP/LF (heated seats)
    -2003 Mercury Marauder BLK/DC (former tribal police unit)
    -2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport DBP/LF (Stiegemeier worked AED S/C build in progress)
    -2007 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor MT/DC "DRAGNET" (HiTech Stage 2 cams, etc. in progress)
    -2016 Volkswagen Passat V6 SEL Premium BLK/BLK (LED/Technology Package)

wish i would've known we coulda went together.i needed mine tuned as well ..

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Carlson
    (both have Stallion TC's, though his also has the shift kit)...
    especially when you can have Steve put the shift kit on (and get a deep tranny pan installed) at the same time.
    I'd really like to hear more about this shift kit. I have put many in C-4's & C-6's as well as a few TH-350 & 400's. I thought I had read earlier threads that said shift kits were no good for the 4R70W transmissions!? Who's shift kit please?
    Sumit lists a nice replacement ratchet shifter from B&M for the Mustang AODE console - if I had a shift kit I would fit the ratchet shifter in for sure!
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

Mark, it was very nice to have met you and Pam. My SCT now has a copy of Todd's and Donny's program in it. It took Aric only a few minutes to modify Todd's (he has 4:10s and I am stock). The shift points are much, much better.

Anyone who has a tuner could likely send the tuner for a fresh download. My only comment is that it is much better to be here with it to discuss the tune, what you like and do not like. Then, you take a drive and fine tune. You can't test it out and retune from a distance.

Fun time. See you soon, Mark and Pam.

Bob
    Last edited by 67435animal; 07-26-2004 at 04:09 PM.

383 4-speed w air grabber

Quote Originally Posted by Krytin
    I'd really like to hear more about this shift kit. I have put many in C-4's & C-6's as well as a few TH-350 & 400's. I thought I had read earlier threads that said shift kits were no good for the 4R70W transmissions!? Who's shift kit please?
    Sumit lists a nice replacement ratchet shifter from B&M for the Mustang AODE console - if I had a shift kit I would fit the ratchet shifter in for sure!
    Send a PM to TAF. He'll clue you in.

Thanks Donny - you the man!
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Carlson
    SCT. If you look at the latest issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords, they have a good article about SCT software, chips, tuners, etc.

Todd and I have both been working with Aric on programming our cars (both have Stallion TC's, though his also has the shift kit). I think we now have a program that is to both of our likings. The issue about 2nd gear power dip is gone, shifting into OD too soon, downshifting at 45, AND bumping up idle speed in gear, foot on the brake, to compensate for underdrive pulleys and the electric water pump. Loading this program onto your tuner is a snap, and has been done for other Southern Marauder owners. Aric will also custom tweak your program per your tastes. It's well worth the trip, especially when you can have Steve put the shift kit on (and get a deep tranny pan installed) at the same time.
    Donny.....Dennis R. installed his tranny kit in June. The only thing not done there was the tranny pan, which I have at home, yet to be installed. I'll wait and see what I can get done at Indy.

Thanks....

Bob

Bob, USNavy Retired
    2010 Taurus SHO Red Candy Metallic
    402A, 5% tint, Valentine 1, Laser Blaster,
    Livernois Stage 2tune, Airaid CAI
    Corsa cat-back, Lower molding stripe
    Born 10/27/09, came home 2/20/10

'03 MM 300A Gone, but not forgotten!
    Born 9/25/02, went home 11/04/02, passed on 3/21/06, Mileage: 100K

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!" (Unknown source)

Thread Information