Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: L/M Dealer Smashes-Up Marauder!!

L/M Dealer Smashes-Up Marauder!!

Dear MM Owners:

I wanted to tap into the collective expertise of this group. Yesterday, I took my 2003 MM (11,000 miles) to the L/M Dealership where I bought it in August of 2002. All wrenching done to the MM to date (save the S/C adder from Trilogy and a few other goodies installed by Lidio) has occurred at this Dealer.

The work order yesterday included a state- mandated annual inspection and emissions test and an oil/filter change. Drop off time is 8:00 bells. At approximately 10:30 AM, the service manager calls; "I've got some bad news. While performing the state required road test, our mechanic hit a patch of black ice and your car has been damaged.” Needless to say, I became slightly unhinged at this point.

I went down to look at the car (I have attached a few photos taken at the dealership) and the damage was significant; at least one hit to the front end and another to the rear quarter. I spent about an hour talking, fairly calmly under the circumstances, with the Service Manager and the Owner of the Dealership. I should note that I have had a good experience with this Dealer up to this juncture. The Dealer has done a good job of addressing any and all issues with the MM, including repairs of a few imperfections in the original paint, replacing all four wheels due to slight imperfections, working with me on other warranty claims unrelated to the S/C install, etc.

The Dealer has offered a rental car (Town Car) for the duration my MM is out of commission and agreed to have all repairs performed at their expense. The Dealer has also agreed to use the body shop of my choice to do the repairs, although they have their own in-house body shop services.

I drove the MM to my body shop of preference (everything mechanical appeared to be okay on the drive over) and spoke with the owner. He estimates the repairs will take three to four weeks and the repair cost will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $6,000 - $8,000 (he had not yet fully inspected the vehicle). I have a good degree of comfort with the quality of work the body shop will do as I have used them before and their work has been first rate.

I wanted to get the perspectives of the club on getting “diminished value” with this fact pattern. My current thinking (and I would much appreciate any other approaches or recommendations this group may have) is to get written estimates of the reduction in value to the MM because it has been in an accident (assuming the repair work is complete and flawless) from at least two other L/M dealerships. Then I will ask the responsible Dealership to pay the average of the two estimates. Assuming they agree, we are done. If not, I will connect with their Garage Keepers Liability insurance provider and pursue legal remedies.

Any guidance the group can offer would be very much appreciated. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Any numbers on “diminished value” anyone has seen for the MM? I am in very unfamiliar territory here and unsure exactly how to proceed.

Thank you in advance for your feedback and advice.

Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
    Built: 06-24-02
    Bought: 08-29-02
    MODS:
    Trilogy S/C #36, 3.2" Pulley
    Install & Custom Tune by Lidio
    De-Badged Front, by Zack
    De-Badged Trunk, Welded, Sprayed
    SS Inserts
    Widened rims sporting Dunlop 285/50's
    Metco Polished Control Arms
    Painted calipers (silver)

Dude! Holy Shazam!

I think it's great that your dealer stepped up and took responsibility for their mistake. Usually they just say that damage while in our care not our responsibility and make you use your car insurance pay . .
    2003 Marauder 300eh - Stock

Born: 12/03/2002
    Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Metco Control arms and Watts link.
    QA1 8 way adjustable shocks and struts.
    Addco front and rear anti-roll bars.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I can't drive 55. I'm looking forward to not being able to drive 75 ether.

You're a saint, because I would've shot the driver. And my dealership knows it.

I can't offer advice on the money parts. But, I figure a typical used '03 with your mileage has been selling for around 22-23K. With S/C I'd add another 3K for selling purposes. These cars don't have any collector value yet... won't for many years. I'd say you probably lost about 2K on the resale value. These points of view are solely from me, if I were to be looking at buying your car. I'd pay about 24K for it. I can assure you, though, that a dealership would bone you hard on a trade in. I'd imagine they might give you 18K for it.

Good Luck. Hope someone here can point you in the right direction with some real numbers.
    '03 300b - all the bolt-ons (SOLD)
    '93 Mustang Notch - restored w/ all the bolt-ons (SOLD)
    '97 F350 Powerstroke 5 spd, 4" straight pipe, 5" stacks, Rockford system, 35" tires...(SOLD)
    '95 Lightning - bolt-ons and susp (Totalled)
    '93 Stang Notch - full resto with autocross susp (SOLD)
    '01 Lightning - 3"/4" drop and full bolt-ons... FAST.

snakeplissken Guest
    It could have been worse you could have been in the car when it hit Black Ice and you could have rolled it and died. The only problem is when you go to sell it if it shows up on carfax with a serious accident its going to hurt resale, how much is debateable. If you take it to a dealer for trade in a good used car manager will spot the repaint no matter who paints it, once the factory finish is broken its broken. if your going to keep it for a long time then it doesn't matter as much.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeplissken
    It could have been worse you could have been in the car when it hit Black Ice and you could have rolled it and died. The only problem is when you go to sell it if it shows up on carfax with a serious accident its going to hurt resale, how much is debateable. If you take it to a dealer for trade in a good used car manager will spot the repaint no matter who paints it, once the factory finish is broken its broken. if your going to keep it for a long time then it doesn't matter as much.
    The only way carfax finds out is if the insurance company reports the claim to the state. This is a practice for which the insurance companies are not compensated. Then, the department of motor vehicles must file the necessary paperwork. This is why carfax has the disclaimer they do. I have a mustang that has been totaled. Twice. Carfax report comes back spotless. Carfax is a joke.
    Last edited by tallboy; 01-26-2005 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling. as usual.
    2003 Marauder 300A
    Trilogy Supercharger Serial #0054
    Installed by Carfixer 10/16/2004

Tallboy's Garage

Phil - Sorry about the damage to your Marauder. I would have to agree that your trade in value ( even with excellent repair) has been diminished. I would see if you could work out a deal for a 2004 Marauder. IMO the ball is in your court. Good luck.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

nWell, I am a bit ...no....alot perplexed here!!! I for one , also with a S/C MM , do not let anyone get in to drive it nor leave it without it being "in sight" of my eyes...got to much invested$$$........so I am really taken in that you would let some one "take it for a state mandated test drive" without you......and thats another thing.........what state do you live in guy?....cause I never heard of such a requirement-( doesn't mean of course it doesn't exist-just don't get it's purpose)---the car was "driven in" so why the mandated test drive?....NO way would that ever happen ---you should not have to test drive a car for "inspection purposes" as far as I am concerned......anyway-=-

( note to self--remind self when I learn of your state--not to move there an register a car)--sorry--

OK --
    I too suffered an incident way back--Here are some tips for ya---

1.Normally deminished value is only available up to 12K miles or one year, which ever comes first in the eyes of most insurance folks eyes-- so you may have been lucky there--I hope you are..

2. You should only be dealing with the dealerships Insurance Co. as to recouping any deminished value--Inform them in writing you plan to submit a claim for such when you car is repaired.--say no more than that at this time.
    Ignore any reply comments. ( your in charge now--they know it)

3.After car is repaired- get estimates on sale value from Carmax (2), and one from another dealer. Tell the Carmax folks during # 1 visit you have no problems with car and never damaged---they will see that it has been damaged due to repainting and thus lower the $$ some...then on # 2 visit tell them it has been damaged( see a different person) and the get a second estimate--it will be pleanty lower than the first.

Get a third from another Dealer as to a trade in possibility..., then look up you car on the net for its book value with current miles and so forth---add maybe what you feel the S/c may add to it--

4. You now have four ideas of you cars value at different situations in which to come to an amount you feel is approiate to ask as to it's deminished value due to the wreck---you need to establish it's value before wreck and afterwards at current mileage vs afterwards....thus the diff..

5..Chances are you wil not get what you want , but the paper work will be impressive enough they may feel you are capable of going to your Lawyer if not satisfied...

6..The insurance co usually has a limit they will pay for deminished value ---somewhat preset, but your paper actions can elevate that if they fear legal action is possible ----so .

7.They may try and call you and record your call to get you to do what they want and agree to what they say--Do NOT give in to this!---

I have some other questions--Did you call the police and have them fill out and accident report?.. Did the guy who wrecked cause such a report to be written where he wrecked the car?..the point is , if so, get a copy--although it seems if there were , the police would have contacted you from running the tag..donno...just asking...

8. Let your insurance co know about this..they can be helpful as your car was damaged by another insured occupant--covered by dealer's insurance--

Hope all works out for ya--but with that mileage, it most likely will not be much $$$---but the scare will do amazing things!!!!..Lets see!!
    Good Luck--------Tom
    Last edited by marauderman; 01-26-2005 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Spelling--what else
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

Quote Originally Posted by snakeplissken
    It could have been worse you could have been in the car when it hit Black Ice and you could have rolled it and died.
    Now if that isn't the silver lining to the dark cloud, I don't know what is.

This is not a perfect world and you are getting it repaired for free plus the use of a Town Car. I suggest that you live and let live. Luckily there was no personal injury.

Quote Originally Posted by marauderman
    nWell, I am a bit ...no....alot perplexed here!!! I for one , also with a S/C MM , do not let anyone get in to drive it nor leave it without it being "in sight" of my eyes...got to much invested$$$........so I am really taken in that you would let some one "take it for a state mandated test drive" without you......and thats another thing.........what state do you live in guy?....cause I never heard of such a requirement-( doesn't mean of course it doesn't exist-just don't get it's purpose)---the car was "driven in" so why the mandated test drive?....NO way would that ever happen ---you should not have to test drive a car for "inspection purposes" as far as I am concerned......anyway-=-
    I was thinking the same thing....the mechanic hit 'black ice'??? or DEEP THROTTLE??

I will never leave ANY of my modified cars at a Dealership ever since a buddy of mine had his New 1988 Turbo T-Bird totalled by a dealer's mechanic after a simple alignment and 'test drive'.*

Anyway, I'm really sorry about the damage to your Marauder. You had every right to be in a rage.
    I hope that you get a top notch body shop to make 'er like new.

*The dealership lent him a Tempo for a few days while they determined what to do with his T-Bird.....The Tempo was returned with LOTS of problems...
    ( I didn't condone his actions but I can certainly understand them.)
    Last edited by Joe Walsh; 01-26-2005 at 05:24 PM.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

I allways demand that any test drives will be made by me. After all who knows the car better? You or some dude in a pair of greasy coveralls? I also take my before and after milage while in service. I guess I'm just kinda anal that way. Visions of me in mom and dads car start dancing in my head.
    03 Mercury Marauder OG
    DR performance chip
    180 degree T-stat
    Ford Motorsport 4:10s
    Jlt CAI
    Steeda Underdrive pullies
    Custom exhaust
    Zex wet Nitrous
    SS inserts
    20% back 35% front tint
    Ford rear spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by South Hills
    "I've got some bad news. While performing the state required road test, our mechanic hit a patch of black ice and your car has been damaged.”
    I think that I would press for free oil changes and tire replacement for life. This dealer knows that his guy screwed up bigtime .... and this "black ice" excuse is getting worn a little thin. It's Ice is Ice ... the fact that he didn't see it or anticipate it didn't make it black............ Flimsy excuse at best. I think Joe hit the nail on the head !!

As far a diminished value ... it'll be hard to pinpoint a value. Ask for the oil and tires as "pain and suffering" compensation ---
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Silver_04 Guest
    Man that just ain't right. Glad the dealer is being professional about the situation. I would ask to see where the "black ice" was and see if there were any "black marks" in the same area. If so...I'd be making sure the wrench would be worried about his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_04
    Man that just ain't right. Glad the dealer is being professional about the situation. I would ask to see where the "black ice" was and see if there were any "black marks" in the same area. If so...I'd be making sure the wrench would be worried about his job.
    ABSOLUTELY!!! Ask them: Where did it happen??

My personal theory: Mechanic goes out for a test drive in a SUPERCHARGED Marauder.....Way more HP than he is used to....Goes around a corner at speed and then PUNCHES IT..... .....Whoa! Lost it big time.

One thing I've learned about driving high HP cars...Line 'em up straight BEFORE you punch it! (Unless you are in a big, open parking lot and want to do 'donuts'.)
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

South Hills...sorry to hear bout your MM's mishap at the hands of the dealership. All the advise so far seems pretty sound. Tallboy is almost completely correct on Carfax getting accident info from the states... however there is another channel by which the accident/damage record info could make it to Carfax and that is through the Insurance Services Office (ISO) data base. The majority of auto insurance outfits report/enter vehicle damage and auto claims data by VIN, insured's name (and so on) into ISO as a central repository for such info to help spot multiple claims on same incident, fraud etc. I believe Carfax also has some limited access to this data. In short, there is little chance of keeping your car's damage history secret.... sounds like a diminished value situation to me.

Good luck buddy...hope it works out for you. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by tallboy
    The only way carfax finds out is if the insurance company reports the claim to the state. This is a practice for which the insurance companies are not compensated. Then, the department of motor vehicles must file the necessary paperwork. This is why carfax has the disclaimer they do. I have a mustang that has been totaled. Twice. Carfax report comes back spotless. Carfax is a joke.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information