Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woo Hoo! 2004 Supercharged Goodness!

MikesMerc Guest

Woo Hoo! 2004 Supercharged Goodness!

Holy Cow!

Yep....those were the first words out of my mouth after the blower was installed....hehe, and I wasn't even to the end of the first block yet

After going for ride in Jerry's #1 and Dave's #2 Trilogy cars, then taking a spin in Lidio's 12.05 sec Trilogy beast a few weeks back, I was honestly expecting a little less punch with just the "basic" kit. Yeah...right The car felt totally amazing and makes heaps of low end torque. It seems like Lidio had no issues at all getting everything to gel just right with the 2004 model MM and the Trilogy kit.

I opted to skip swapping the gears and left the 3.55s in there with an eye on all around capability and not just the fastest qtr mile time. I also left the tranny stock with only Lidio's basic shift reprogram on the chip tune. After the initial installation, with only a preliminary tune on the car, we took her for a short test spin. Man it felt great! Can you say Big Block? You just gotta love the low end punch in the back from a roots style blower. Nothing like it...and it's just what the high winding DOHC 4.6 needs to get moving.

Preliminary results are awesome. Everything still feels very tight and very OEMish. You cannot tell anything has been done to the car until you step hard on the loud pedal...than its wooooosh! I'll have more details and comments after I've had her for a few days. I'll be daily driving the beast as long as its clear weather, so I should have some good info for those wanting to know about reliability and practicality as well as just the awesome power.

It's also pretty neat to be the first 2004 Trilogy car. (I think its pretty cool anyway )

In the meantime, here's a few pics of how the kit looks on the 2004:

Looks very OEM which is what I prefer.

Nice logo...hey, I gotta do a little pimpin

A super job on the intercooler reservoir. Very clean looking!

I'll post more updates soon!

MI2QWK4U Guest
    Welcome aboard Mike! I just got mine back from Lidio....I left 18 RWHP richer. These cars are getting to the top of the game now. Lidio and Jerry Barnes have come up with one potent package, a great platform for better mods if you choose. Going to Milan saturday?

way cool!!!

That is a very interesting approach, while most folks on the list are either 1)stock, 2) inching their way up with mods, or 3) go all out, you have skipped what seems to be the initial steps and gone right to the S/C without the other major mods. Gives one a reason to pause and a whole new decision tree to contemplate. Hmm, supercharged torque with all the comforts of a stocker - that may be the answer. Did you do anything to the exhaust? keep us up to date, whats the gues on the 1/4 mile low 13s high 12s?
    Steven

2004 Marauder Black, loaded
    Vortec S/C
    4.10s
    3500 PI Stall
    Kook's headers
    476.9 rwhp 385 lbs/tq
    KVR's, QA1's, M&Z control arms, rear sway bar
    Lidio tune
    2004 Suburban Dark Charcoal
    1970 W-30 442 convertible twilight Blue

Awesome install, MikesMerc! Great photos! Raging jeolousy still won't prevent me from saying "congratulations!"

2003 Mercury Marauder 300B, matte-black, S55 taillights.
    B&M transmission/Precision Industries TC; Eibach-lowered; Addco rear anti-sway; Metco rear control arms; Steeda UDP; 180° 'stat.

MI2QWK4U Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stevengerard
    way cool!!!

That is a very interesting approach, while most folks on the list are either 1)stock, 2) inching their way up with mods, or 3) go all out, you have skipped what seems to be the initial steps and gone right to the S/C without the other major mods. Gives one a reason to pause and a whole new decision tree to contemplate. Hmm, supercharged torque with all the comforts of a stocker - that may be the answer. Did you do anything to the exhaust? keep us up to date, whats the gues on the 1/4 mile low 13s high 12s?
    Mike will be where i was last summer and ran 12.96 in the 1/4 mile. I don't know where I will end up with what I am running now. But the biggest things that will help this year are mods done since it was run last fall, including the widened rims w/Nitto 305's, smaller pulley, exhaust work, and the Pro-M MAF have put the car in a new ballpark for me. God im hoping for low 12's, but who knows.
    The setup Mike has with some minor tweaking will do high 12's all day long, its a strong setup that is practically stock. Gives one a lot to think about...Its a good observation on your part steve.....

Congrats! Looks real good!!

Enjopy it
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

MikesMerc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MI2QWK4U
    Going to Milan saturday?
    Unfortunately I am not. I have to work with no way out. But, that's okay, I'm saving up my time off for the other events like Norwalk, Indy, as well as the local stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by stevengerard
    way cool!!!

That is a very interesting approach, while most folks on the list are either 1)stock, 2) inching their way up with mods, or 3) go all out, you have skipped what seems to be the initial steps and gone right to the S/C without the other major mods. Gives one a reason to pause and a whole new decision tree to contemplate. Hmm, supercharged torque with all the comforts of a stocker - that may be the answer.
    Exactly! By the time you add up the cost of all the other bolt on stuff, jumping to the Trilogy isn't much more expensive. Not to mention you end up with more performance right from the start. Most importantly is you retain the original MM feel.

Over the years, I've had a good handful of 5.0 Mustangs which I modded to various stages...some NA and some blown. In the end, in order to get the cars to the top of their game for street duty, plenty of comfort, driveability, and smoothness was sacrificed. The cars were fast indeed, but I actually felt "tired" after cruising for a long evening. Those days were fun, but I'm really over that now.

So, for this MM, what I wanted was a very fast, yet very refined, OEM feel MM experience. I swore that I would not cut up this car...and I don't plan on starting. I *might* consider some gears, and wider rims, but that's it. No suspension mods, huge stall converters, overly loud exhuast, or anything else that detracts from the original intended driving expereince of the MM.

I am certainly not knocking any of the other approaches. For those who want to go a bit more "xtreme" and are willing to sacrfice more of the original MM driving experience, I say go for it. I'm sure its plenty of fun. Its just not for me. So, my best route was the Trilogy kit which provides all the power without any significant degradation of the original experience. The roots blower is exactly what the dohc 4.6 needs to. The stop light drags are rarely run in the high rpm bands, and down low is where you need it...for a true street car anyway.

For times, I think Dave is about spot on. I'd assume high 12s with good air as it sits. The smaller pulley will provide me with extra boost over the stock kit, and the firmer trans shifts (via Lidio's chip) will help a bit too.

I'll definitely get some numbers as soon as possible.

bigslim Guest
    Mike, I was at Lidio's today to have my chip and 410 installed and saw your car there. All I can say is congrat's on your Trilogy purchase. I have always been a fan of the package. It is good to see Dave have some company.

Mike - That install sure looks great. Now the fun really begins.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

hitchhiker Guest

Congrats...

Quote Originally Posted by MikesMerc
    Unfortunately I am not. I have to work with no way out. But, that's okay, I'm saving up my time off for the other events like Norwalk, Indy, as well as the local stuff.

Exactly! By the time you add up the cost of all the other bolt on stuff, jumping to the Trilogy isn't much more expensive. Not to mention you end up with more performance right from the start. Most importantly is you retain the original MM feel.

Over the years, I've had a good handful of 5.0 Mustangs which I modded to various stages...some NA and some blown. In the end, in order to get the cars to the top of their game for street duty, plenty of comfort, driveability, and smoothness was sacrificed. The cars were fast indeed, but I actually felt "tired" after cruising for a long evening. Those days were fun, but I'm really over that now.

So, for this MM, what I wanted was a very fast, yet very refined, OEM feel MM experience. I swore that I would not cut up this car...and I don't plan on starting. I *might* consider some gears, and wider rims, but that's it. No suspension mods, huge stall converters, overly loud exhuast, or anything else that detracts from the original intended driving expereince of the MM.

I am certainly not knocking any of the other approaches. For those who want to go a bit more "xtreme" and are willing to sacrfice more of the original MM driving experience, I say go for it. I'm sure its plenty of fun. Its just not for me. So, my best route was the Trilogy kit which provides all the power without any significant degradation of the original experience. The roots blower is exactly what the dohc 4.6 needs to. The stop light drags are rarely run in the high rpm bands, and down low is where you need it...for a true street car anyway.

For times, I think Dave is about spot on. I'd assume high 12s with good air as it sits. The smaller pulley will provide me with extra boost over the stock kit, and the firmer trans shifts (via Lidio's chip) will help a bit too.

I'll definitely get some numbers as soon as possible.
    Congrats on your Trilogy install!

Best looking S/C setup I've seen on an MM yet!

Love the roots type blower!

May I ask what this whole package cost installed?

I may just do one this summer.

Thanks,

David

Thanks guys for the input, as mentioned it gives me something to think about. I really did my SHO up 8 years ago but I too am done with harsh rides. The really neat thing is that this MM just seems so fast in pure stock form, I guess because its a new toy, but it feels fast and sounds great, but what impresses me the most is its handling - I can see better brakes and a lower front stance. starting out with the triology set up is sounding good. What's something like that cost around?
    Steven

2004 Marauder Black, loaded
    Vortec S/C
    4.10s
    3500 PI Stall
    Kook's headers
    476.9 rwhp 385 lbs/tq
    KVR's, QA1's, M&Z control arms, rear sway bar
    Lidio tune
    2004 Suburban Dark Charcoal
    1970 W-30 442 convertible twilight Blue

Smile

Mike, congradulations! I plan on having Lidio do some stuff this summer, but you've done something I probably won't do anytime soon. There is nothing that feels as good as an Eaton Roots type blower, especially from a torque standpoint at lower rpms. If I eventually do get a supercharger, it will definately be the Trilogy setup. I'm honestly jealous
    2006 Silverstone AWD Chevy Trailblazer SS
    -custom grind cam, kooks long tube headers, pcmformless tranny cooler, Vector CAI, Vector custom tune, Corsa catback, efans

2004 Silver Birch Mercury Marauder
    -gone

MARAUDER S/C Guest
    Congrats and enjoy the best Marauder mod !!!!!!!!!!

MikesMerc Guest
    Thanks for the kudos guys!

The clean install is courtesy of Lidio at Alternative Auto. He did a nice job on all the small details. He is putting the finishing touches on things right now, so I hope to have the car back by today or tomorrow. I should have some dyno sheets then to. One of the nice things about Lidio's Trilogy installation is that its very complete. After everything is mechanically ironed out, there is plenty of road test and a custom dyno tune specific to your application. He's also very mindful of concerns regarding day to day driveability which was priority for me.

I'm looking forward to putting the car through its paces in the next few days. As I mentioned, I'll definitely post additional info and experiences.

Edit- BTW, for those asking about the cost of this project, here's some general info. The kit itself comes 100% complete from Trilogy. It includes everything you need (blower, manifold, fuel injectors, complete intercooler system, boost a pump, coolant line reroute assemblies, tuner chip, etc, etc) Nothing is left out down to the last bolt. When Jerry dropped off the kit at Lidio's it came in about 4 boxes! The cost of the kit is approx $5900. That might sound like a lot to some, but considering the OEM type install, the intercooler system, and everything else needed to make the kit 100% turn key, its not a bad price at all. With the kit installed, its like the MM that should have come from the factory.

Installation with Lidio at Alternative Auto runs about $1800. That includes about 20 hours of installation labor, initial tune and road resting, custom final dyno tune (with before and after dyno sheets), and final road testing. When you pick up the car, you just put your key in it. Considering how Lidio stands behind his work, and how he was doing the kit development right along with Jerry at Trilogy, I think its worth every dollar. He knows the Trilogy kit better than anyone out there without exception.

Well, here's hoping my car is done today!
    Last edited by MikesMerc; 04-01-2004 at 07:01 AM.

WOW!!! Very clean install...looks very factory.

Ok....with that said, does anyone want to make a donation to the "Danny wants a Super Charger" fund? With your donation, you will get a free ride in my car, a heart felt hand shake, and 1000 thank yous!!!

Ok seriously... Who's gonna be the pioneer to make a donation???

2003 Mercury Marauder - 300A (Born 9/02, Purchased 1/16/04)
    • 1 Coil Cut Off Front Springs & Rear Air Suspension Lowered
    • PIAA Xtreme White 9007's
    • Red Reflective "MARAUDER" Inserts
    • JLT Performance Intake
    • Accufab Throttle Body
    • SCT-1725 Tuned
    • Borla Mufflers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information