Thread: Cracked Rods...

Cracked Rods...

.. at work today, one of my immediate tasks was to inspect cracked rods. They are completely machined, honed, drilled, and tapped, then they break the crank end to be able to install them. We were talking about this process, and one man said you have them in your car. Is this right, I sure hope not.
    "A street walking cheetah, with a heart full of napalm."

"If You can keep Your Head About You, While Others are Losing Theirs and Blaming It on You..."

"Sometimes it is wiser to remain silent, and seem a fool, than to speak, and remove all doubt."

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."[5]

Cracked powder rods are in all 4.6 2v n 4v EXCEPT 03 04 cobra. Why do you hope that you dont have this?
    If you aint first, You're last!

The reason I'm inspecting these is a flaw in the process.

"If You can keep Your Head About You, While Others are Losing Theirs and Blaming It on You..."

"Sometimes it is wiser to remain silent, and seem a fool, than to speak, and remove all doubt."

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."[5]

Hmm interesting, well its a common design in most vehicles. Im assuming this flaw in the process would only affect rods that are currentlt or recently being produced.
    If you aint first, You're last!

It is a flaw as to where they are cracking, making it difficult to assemble.

Weird post. ?? REPORT the problem!

I have 8 pistons and rods from another MM engine. There is a painted line on the sides of the rod. This helps in mating the two pieces together.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

This is for a company I work for, not the MM, I do receiving inspection, with a CMM, and the angle of the fracture prohibits the installation of the rods once the pitons are assembled.

The cracked powdered metal rods have been used in the 4.6 since the introduction of the engine in the early '90s
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Blk Mamba View Post
    It is a flaw as to where they are cracking, making it difficult to assemble.
    That's why there are inspectors! Once inspected, then installed, they can withstand a lot actually before catostrophic failure. Lots of guys on here pushing the envelope with stockers a-ok.
    11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Well I sounds like you have a flaw in your process. As others have mentioned Ford pioneered the cracked-cap rods with the first modular in the early 90's. Since that time the method has become state of the art, with many other mfgs using it successfully.

We don't have a flaw in our process, we don't manufacture the rods. Ford pioneered this process in the early '80s, about '83, still if you knew the way metal fractures you would know it happens at a point of weakness, all the time stressing the entire rod.

From my anecdotal knowledge it would seem that most catastrophic mod motor failures are not caused by connecting rods. More like inadequate cooling, spark knock, or oil starvation.

Excerpt from a 1991 article in ASME's Mechanical Engineering magazine:
    "With cracked powder-forged connecting rods, the crankshaft sees as round a bearing hole as we can economically provide," said Pete Hoag, manager of the crankshaft design team at Ford's Romeo, Mich., engine plant. "The rough irregular mating surface that forms when the bearing cap is physically fractured from the rod virtually eliminates cap shift." Both out-of-round crank bearings and cap shift can increase interference forces within the bearing, which causes wear, he explained.
    According to Ford product design engineer David A. Yeager, "Even after long-term tests on production engines, the bearings still looked great. There were no visible wear marks and almost no cap shift."
    Besides improving engine performance the innovative technique used to manufacture the connecting rod saved millions of dollars of expenditures on production line equipment. For its efforts, the research team that developed the connecting rod cracking process, which included Yeager, Hoag, and principal research engineer Daniel W. Hall, has received the automaker's Henry Ford Technology Award.
    Really an interesting read! Apparently they investigated cooling the rods with liquid nitrogen for a clean break...
    Trilogy 58, owned since '08

Thanks for the above info. A most interesting read indeed!
    Excess in Moderation.

Sprinkles are for winners.

Thread Information