Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clone

djcoak Guest
    I'd like to know where you are seeing Marauders for 16.500???? And forgive me if I am wrong a S/C GM would out run a Stock Marauder.

Quote Originally Posted by djcoak
    I'd like to know where you are seeing Marauders for 16.500???? And forgive me if I am wrong a S/C GM would out run a Stock Marauder.

A Marauder list for 36K but sells for 29K. a Gr Marquis sells for 18k for a GS. Let's not compare the list of a Marauder to the selling price of a Gr. marquis that list for 24k. I agree it would be cheaper to by a used Marauder for 18k than to modify one. Even if you bought a new 18k Gr. Marquis, to modify it properly to look like a Marauder would cost you 10k. Bucket seats, console, engine, wheels, and so on. Just my .02.

djcoak Guest
    No problem I appreciate all inputs but once again I want to see where you are finding these cheap cars!!!! I doubt it would cost 10 grand to make a GS look like a MM since I could care less at this point about the interior. My point isn't even mostly about cost. My point is I don't want to buy a MM and chop it up doing mods. I personally would leave it mostly stock. Thats just me though. The MM is a VERY nice car and I do love the way it looks and drives but there are very few used ones in NJ and those that are used are quite a few dollars.

Besides U see on here how you guys drive these beasts I don't know if I'd want it!!!!!

A stock unmolested car is always worth more than a modified car. At least that's the way it is with Muscle Cars of the 60's and 70's.

^^^^ Some of us are keeping the take-offs tucked away in a safe place... I even have original stat and plugs in a box somewhere since I can't seem to part with anything original off the MM.

Not that I'd ever imagine myself taking everything back to be put back the way it was, but at least it will be there for the next owner if (when) I go crazy.

- JD
    Currently Marauderless but looking

used/new MM

Last weekend, All American Ford/Chevy in Hackensack still had the used Marauder on the lot. Tinted windows, blacked out emblems front/rear.

According to their web site, Wayne L&M still has seven 2004s. Most are black, but one is red and one is silver.

Well its cheaper huh? Well lets look at cost for an instant. It seems many people here are hot rodding thier Marauders and I agree it is very cool, but to buy a 36,000 dollar car and then change things around is something I cannot bring myself to do.

For 18,000 I can have a base GM. Although it has a little different engine (SOHC as opposed to a DOHC among a few other things) the chassis and such are pretty much the same. That would leave me 18,000 dollars worth of mods to even get to a base price Marauder AND it would have all the performance options I want. If I add in the 10 to 15 K that some are adding to thier Marauders I would have a pretty wild machine. I am not slamming those that are modding thier cars but I am trying to look at it from a practical stand point. With the demise of production I personally would not want to Mod the car as it may be worth some money sometime in the future. BUT to Mod a regular GM, well who cares it only started off as a plain jane anyway.

PS If I find one cheap enough I would get it but I am kinda excited about the sleeper car. I have even thought of maybe a V-10........
    You could go with a used Marauder with little miles. I got mine for $22,000 and in all honesty, it still feels new....even smells new.

2003 Mercury Marauder - 300A (Born 9/02, Purchased 1/16/04)
    • 1 Coil Cut Off Front Springs & Rear Air Suspension Lowered
    • PIAA Xtreme White 9007's
    • Red Reflective "MARAUDER" Inserts
    • JLT Performance Intake
    • Accufab Throttle Body
    • SCT-1725 Tuned
    • Borla Mufflers

I'm just hopin 'Ol "dj" is just a troll...'cause I'd hate to think any of his "logic" is serious...

djcoak Guest
    Nope I'm not a troll but whatever

djcoak Guest
    Who knows what I'll end up with I am just kicking ideas around. By the way TAF I am sure they thought Kenny Brown was nuts when he decided to modify his first Crown Vic/GM. See you seem like the kind of guy who just wants to accept what the factory hands you, not that it's a bad thing but heaven forbid someone come out with a different idea and want to go from there. If I find a used marauder in my price range I am sure I will jump on it but I am keeping other options open also. besides this is not all about the money but the fun of just doing something different.

DJ, Welcome to the forum... I know most of your 17 posts have been on this thread... we avoid misunderstandings and make much better time here when we all read carefully.

In my quick and dirty math, I said you'd have $16,500 into the GM and it would be "approaching" what you'd pay for a Marauder.

"Approaching" being the key word.

In the last 30 days, at least 6 MMs have auctioned for under $19,000.

The cheapest I could find was an 18,500 mile car that sold for $17,500. These were all cars in "poor" condition, and you'd have to be a dealer and eat some auction fees before you could park it in your driveway....

I don't think these prices are representative of what normal folks pay for nice cars... I paid substantially more for our used '03... but even these "poor" cars are still under warranty.

The S/C GM is a nifty idea... I'm not sure what they run... But a DR-Stage 1 is only a phone call (and under a grand) away. Suddenly the published 15.7 Car & Liar time is a cool-night 14.3. I'm thinking that would at least make the S/C GM race interesting.

Go build whatever you want. We're only trying to help you here, but please read carefully & don't twist our words... it really takes the fun out of helping people build cool cars.

Good luck to you,
    Greg
    Trilogy #146!!! Self-Installed with a little help!

See you seem like the kind of guy who just wants to accept what the factory hands you, not that it's a bad thing but heaven forbid someone come out with a different idea and want to go from there.
    Yep...that's me. You hit the nail on the head Goober.

djcoak Guest
    OK Dealer I mis understood ya. I am used to the Monte Carlo board (the car I currently own) and getting slammed for anything that even borders on free thinking. I see what you are saying and I do appreciate the input from everyone. I guess at times I tend get a bit defensive but I usually play nice with others.

I am just kicking around ideas. Like I said it's not even so much about the money but just to do something different. I like projects and from my growing list of them why not add another!!!!!
    Last edited by djcoak; 05-06-2004 at 07:50 AM.

djcoak Guest
    Where is Wayne L and M at? Is it in NJ?

MYSTA KANG Guest
    Well man I say to each its own. Doing a clone can have advantages and disadvantages. In the back of your mind you will always know that it isnt what it appears to be. Then it may take even moe money to clone like one guy said than to just buy a good used MM. I see over 10 Impala SS clones everyday I drive around dallas. But hey you seem very eager to tackle this project so go for it man.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information