Thread: One HELLLL of a build!!

One HELLLL of a build!!

People often ask me about the status of my build. I have tried to refrain from posting details about the subject because I’ve had some very disappointing and frustrating experiences. I don’t want to be negative, sarcastic, or bitter. I respect this community. I’ve had great and fun experiences with many of you and I appreciate the help I’ve received. BUT……… I want to be completely honest about my experience as a warning to others about the possible pitfalls of this journey. I only receive the good side of doing an engine build and supercharging one. Understand this post is not meant to bash anyone. It is also not meant sway you to do or not do anything. My intentions are to vent and share my experience.

Breakdown of the timeline: (Good & Bad)

*Took my car to Nick – March
    Good: Timing cover swap/Valve cover swap
    Bad: Engine failed soon afterwards - http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...d.php?t=101057

*Took car to Curless – April
    Good: Removal of engine, explanation of suspected cause to engine failure
    Bad: Slow service due to delays at machine shop, my own impatience
    http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101349

*Took car to Motown – July
    Good: Good deal on the price for the engine and procharger install
    Bad: service was not complete/ parts were secretly kept and sold without my permission/ windshield was cracked/missing teeth in grill/ engine parts were left outside in rain/ unresponsive/ damage to car and parts….. let me just tell the whole story.

I paid Motown upfront through PayPal family and friends due to his reputation and good standing within the community. It sounded like a good deal and he presents himself as a Master Mechanic. He did not complete the work. He told other members the work was done but it was not. I cannot make a dispute or request a refund from PayPal because it was family and friends and is considered a gift. The first red flag was that he did not send progress pictures as we agreed upon. I realize this was because of a lack of progress. I made multiple trips to Saginaw, easily a 4hour + trip to find that he had not worked on the car. Work was only being done in my presence and even then he complained about me standing over him. While in his possession, my windshield was cracked, my grill now has missing teeth and the car was not cared for in general. I was also disappointed with his lack of communication. He was unresponsive when I made inquiries regarding the progress or status of the build. He was everything but professional, with sarcastic remarks and just a rude demeanor in general as if he was doing me a courtesy and I had not already paid for the services and parts upfront.

Now I can say that while working on my car (in my presence) he did give me a COT delete and an oil billet dipstick and tube but he also broke my windshield, and EGR tube and he was not able to remove the broken piece from the driver-side manifold. I had to get one from another member and had to go to a muffler shop only to discover they were not able to repair the damage he caused. This is yet another example of work that could have and should have been done but was put off until I came up there. The multiple part runs and this extra labor came out of my pocket and caused delays as well as additional expenses. Also, I had to purchase an aftermarket torque converter because Motown could not align the flywheel to the stock Marauder torque converter. The trip to pick up this part alone was 3 hours total.

I made multiple attempts to schedule the dyno tune based upon his word that the car would be complete only to find it was not. I scheduled a dyno tune in July, mid-August and finally in early September. Each time Motown assured me my car was ready and yet each time I arrived, the car was not ready and again there were parts runs that I had to do myself. The last official date of completion should have been September 8. When I arrived, the engine was not installed, transmission was not bolted in, piping was not routed, procharger was not installed, gages were not installed, fuel pump was not installed….basically the work was not done even though Motown had told me and other members that the car was done. I spent my birthday and my last vacation days and the only time I could take off of work in Saginaw, Michigan trying to ensure he completed the project but he did not. Finally, I opted to have my car moved to a friend’s home until I could find a way to have the project completed.

After being in his possession for 3 months and having been paid in full up front, the car was not drivable and had to be towed. He did not complete the fan shroud install, belt alignment, he removed the extra pulley (Zack recommended) and told me it was not needed, gages were not installed, EGR tube was not installed, the driver-side manifold had to be replaced, coolant temperature sensor wiring was not extended to clear the procharger... basically the work was not complete and work that was done lacked the quality and integrity that I expected from a Master mechanic. After having a good friend look over the car and attempt to correct the wrongs, I had the car towed to Alternative Auto for a dyno tune only to discover fuel pump issues caused by improper installation. I was told that the pump was reading 100% pulse from the pump and 18-20% fuel pressure just to idle the car. A tear down of my gas tank was scheduled while at Alternative Auto and they found out that the fuel pump had no visible clamps, there was a bend in the fuel line and it was not properly seated within the gas tank. So now I am being charged extra for finding the fuel pump issue, purchase of a new fuel pump and install due to the lack of integrity of Motown’s work.

With all of this additional cost, it is disturbing to find out that Motown kept parts from my car without my knowledge and is now selling them on the forum. We did not discuss him selling any parts from my car. (oil pickup tube from a failed engine and alternator) I agreed to give him the OEM heads (127k mileage), the WOP block from my car and a 96-98 Cobra timing cover in exchange for his thump racing tensioner (3bolt) that was included with the purchase of the engine, and his chrome alternator which he told me needs a new regulator. Hopefully my post will educate or teach members to know who you are dealing with. Hopefully my story will stay up and be heard and I will post pictures soon.

CJ

Build# 1979/3214
    Year 2004
    300B
    Ext. DTR
    Int. Dark Char
    FINALLY BOOSTED!!!

Recent Fuel pump issue
    No clamps

bend in the line/tube
    Alternative Auto is up top
    Motown's work at the bottom

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Build# 1979/3214
    Year 2004
    300B
    Ext. DTR
    Int. Dark Char
    FINALLY BOOSTED!!!

done product but pump issue

completed engine

Build# 1979/3214
    Year 2004
    300B
    Ext. DTR
    Int. Dark Char
    FINALLY BOOSTED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by whitey View Post
    Damn man, I hope all is well and that motown can explain his reasons on why he did what he did.

no regerts
    I want to post the messages as well as the video heated discussion we had. if I have to I will but I'm trying to refrain from posting negativity.

Build# 1979/3214
    Year 2004
    300B
    Ext. DTR
    Int. Dark Char
    FINALLY BOOSTED!!!

Build# 1979/3214
    Year 2004
    300B
    Ext. DTR
    Int. Dark Char
    FINALLY BOOSTED!!!

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    You have the audacity to post lies, and misinformation! The truth is i charged you all of $700 to install an engine , supercharger , intercooler, fuel pump , and gauges!

What you failed to disclose is that you still owe me $200 , for the Xover delete kit you never paid for , or all the other parts i took off my car because you cried about not having the money for the needed parts , and let me be very clear on the parts you claim i sold knowing full well that all the old parts were going to me as you agreeded to stating yourself you had nowhere to put them , and that you didn't want them anyway!

And you also know your grill was already broken when the car came to me , honestly I should have pushed your car on the streets when you acted a fool because you didn't have the parts needed to finish your car.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Intercooler already installed but states he did it.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...=100737&page=3
    Last edited by cer0413; 11-06-2016 at 11:27 AM.

Build# 1979/3214
    Year 2004
    300B
    Ext. DTR
    Int. Dark Char
    FINALLY BOOSTED!!!

I have no reason to lie about anything, and the fact that you are attempting to paint a picture that isn't true is a true statement of who you truly are, as far as your car being in my possession for months , you also neglected to mention that you asked me to store the car because you didn't have anywhere to put it because Lidio was backed up for months before he was taking in anymore work!
    Tell all the lies that can think of, but you , and i both know the truth! I honestly should have never helped you in any way with your car , you are beyond immature and petty , it's your way , or no way , and you didn't have the money or knowledge to complete your car, and i could care less what you attempt to have others believe.
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

CJ,

Soonest I can schedule in for a morning tune session would be on Friday August 12th. You'd need to get here at about 7:45am to get started with it all, and you can wait and watch it all happen. Usually takes under four hours as long as no issues come up with the car during the tune session.

There are some other dates open the following week if you need.

Alternative Auto: "I assume your going to be on 93 octane? And also assume you'll be at or under 10psi of boost if 93 octane is the case?
    Thanks"

Me: "August 12th is perfect. Out me down and How much are your dynamic tunes?"

"BUT lidio WAS BACK UP FOR MONTHS"

Build# 1979/3214
    Year 2004
    300B
    Ext. DTR
    Int. Dark Char
    FINALLY BOOSTED!!!

We can go back and forth all day. You told me the services I paid you for were done and THEY WERE NOT. Your attitude and customer service is unworthy of this forum.

Build# 1979/3214
    Year 2004
    300B
    Ext. DTR
    Int. Dark Char
    FINALLY BOOSTED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cer0413 View Post
    We can go back and forth all day. You told me it was done and IT WAS NOT. Your attitude and customer service is unworthy of this forum.
    CJ im going to say this to you , and then I'm done with your so called thread , your attempts to shed a negative light on me is immature, and senseless, as i told you before it is not what a man does , I've had issues with other members over parts , service, or whatever, but im not going to waste my time posting lies on the internet, if i have a problem I'm going to make my feelings known to that individual directly, you have a lot to learn about life in general, i took in your car , for pennies, and in return you post lies about the one person who went out of his way to help you.

Post whatever you like , karma is alive and well, a lesson you have yet to learn.
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

Here's one of many in writing or via text. I could show you where I kept my end of the bargain as well. Hense the outstanding good feedback he gave me after I paid him in full.

Build# 1979/3214
    Year 2004
    300B
    Ext. DTR
    Int. Dark Char
    FINALLY BOOSTED!!!

This issue will be worked out by the two parties involved...no further comment is needed.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Thread Information