Thread: New '04 Marauder...

New '04 Marauder...

OK fellas... I know this is an opinion thing, but I recently purchased an 04 MM and joined this site. My car has 2300 miles and I have a few questions. What exhaust modifications do you recommend and which custom tune do you recommend. I will be purchasing a cold air intake soon (JLT) and I am thinking about 4.10's... although it will see some long distance highway use. Your advice and opinions will be greatly appreciated. I hope I don't stir up too much controversy.

First off....WELCOME! This site has a lot of information to add.

It seems that a Cold Air Intake, 4.10's and a good Tune are VERY common set of mods. The car SHOULD have come this way

The JLT is a good intake. Either Dennis Reinhart, or Lidio would be a VERY good choice for a Tune.

Exhaust.....eh..... you can replaced the manifolds and h-pipe w/ aftermarket for some power (the Cobra Kit from Dennis, or Kooks, or Stainless Works). Mufflers is a VERY personal decision. Everyone likes their "own" sound. Marauder Exhaust Tips that have no baffles inthem are also common (available from Innovative Interceptors).

Good luck on whatever your decision. Intake, gears and tune will make it an ENTIRELY different car

KillJoy

Quote Originally Posted by High-C View Post
    OK fellas... I know this is an opinion thing, but I recently purchased an 04 MM and joined this site.
    High-C, welcome to the MM.Net and Happy Maraudering. Congrats on the purchase of your '04 Marauder.

Come on out to one of the local Capital Area Marauder (CAM) meets and you can ogle some fine machines with a whole list of mods -- CAM offers the whole range from "soup" to "nuts". We try to meet about once per month. You just missed a huge turnout for the December 2006 meet. Check out the CAM forum.

BTW -- you don't happen to be driving a Silver Birch Marauder do you. If so, I saw you Monday on Mount Vernon Highway.

Oops ... just saw your avatar with the DTR. I am still looking for the owner of that SB.
    Last edited by Bluerauder; 12-21-2006 at 01:16 PM. Reason: He's got a DTR
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

May I suggest........

Quote Originally Posted by High-C View Post
    OK fellas... I know this is an opinion thing, but I recently purchased an 04 MM and joined this site. My car has 2300 miles and I have a few questions. What exhaust modifications do you recommend and which custom tune do you recommend. I will be purchasing a cold air intake soon (JLT) and I am thinking about 4.10's... although it will see some long distance highway use. Your advice and opinions will be greatly appreciated. I hope I don't stir up too much controversy.
    It all depends on what your final vision is of the car....

Mine was to build up the car to support the supercharger of choice. (mine was a D.R. Vortech Air to Air setup)
    my mods kind of in the order they happened.
    D.R. Tune for 4:10s
    4:10's installed by the dealership at 3000 miles (not to void warranty)
    Kooks long/mid length headers and full exhaust
    I kept the original tips with the cork resonator,(keeps down the drone in the car)
    PHP air box (and a new tune to take advantage of the upgrade)
    D.R. Vortech Air to Air #8
    Metco controll arms (I am still debating thier longevity)
    widened rear wheels by Weldcraft wheels
    full set of Nitto tires to hold it on the road (295/45 in back)
    Proguard skid plate
    Art Carr Built transmission
    3000 stall PI torque converter
    And another Kick A** tune by the Man himself Dennis Reinhart

The 4:10s and a tune will be a very big change,
    The kooks just make is sing, like 8 trumpets under the hood

Please PM me if you would like to know why I went one way or the other with some of the mods.....(that way I don't offend anyone in public)

Just remember.....once you start changing the car from stock it becomes a custom car and the dealership will/may not want to help or even look at it....nothing is free.
    after you mod it you will find that you suddenly start to learn what makes it go...so when it stops YOU can fix it or direct them to the proper parts to touch....(find a local speed shop to do some of the installs, like kooks)
    Sold on 1/16/2012
    MM 2003 300A
    Reinhart Air-to-Air Vortech Supercharger #8, Art Carr Transmission, PI 3000 stall TC Triple disc, 4:10, TA Girdle and studs, Dynotech Driveshaft
    DR Xcal2 tune, Motorcraft AGSF22C Plugs(Autolite 103) Trying some NGK Iridium, New ACCEL COP's, Rear engine cooling mod
    180 deg. Thermostat, KOOKs headers, Magnaflow high flow cats (NO CATS), Magnaflow Mufflers (with stuffing blown out)
    Addco front & rear sway bars, Metco drive shaft loop, Metco control arms, ProGuard Skid plate
    Widened rims by Weldcraft w/Nitto 235/45 & 285/50, DynoPros Aluminium Door Sills

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...do=view&id=474

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your new ride.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

I thought Lidio's tune from Alternative was fantastic... night and day difference in the car's attitude. Echoing the words from above... try to decide what you want the car to be long-term and align your steps in that direction.

We take ours to the beach every summer... that's a 1400 mile round trip... so I really wanted to stay with the 3.55s.

I knew I wanted a Trilogy because I'm a big fan of low-end power. I know there are lots of Trilogy cars with 4.10s, but I have no idea how they're hooking up on stock tires because I can burn them up with 3.55s.

I guess with drag radials and a drag strip 4.10s would help me, but that fun isn't my top priority for the car... it's our family car and gets driven daily, weather permitting.

Take your time and enjoy making your MM just what you want.
    Trilogy #146!!! Self-Installed with a little help!

Welcome to the site, High-C...

Do not even hesitate to do the 4.10s...it's what the car should have come with from the factory.

I estimate that we lost only about 1 MPG on the average...on a trip from MA to MI and back we got 21 MPG with 2 people, a week's worth of luggage, and speeds from 75-80...with 4.10s and a blower.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Thanks...

You guys are great. I appreciate all of the help. I live in Mount Vernon but I am moving to the Eastern Shore (Ocean City) next month... I'll have to commute to the next CAM get together...

The car is totally different with a tune, cold air intake and freer-flowing mufflers. I don't have gears yet, but they are next on my list.
    White Lightning Kiarauder:
    2011 Kia Forte EX Minisculus Pimpmobilius Extremus
    Built-in Nav, Bluetooth, USB port, aux/ipod jack, ]2 power ports and Sunroof! six speed auto trans w/ Sportmatic, dead pedal, rear-view camera. Voice cmd for radio, sat, nav, cell phone and MP3.
    Four very muscular, steroid-enhanced, genetically mutated, Mountain Dew injected, wild racing hamsters cavorting under the hood.
    ............................... ...................
    Black Thunder:
    2004 Marauder - Black w/black interior
    Sequence number is 39 of 3213
    Traded in 12/12/10
    --------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder - Dark Blue Pearl
    XCalibrator2/Reinhart tune
    Sequence number is 37 of 327
    10/10/2009 ---- Blue Thunder has gone on to a much better place -----
    Martyo's Garage!!!!!

High-C - Welcome to the MM site.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

High-C your best bet is to show up at a C.A.M. meet and check out members rides. Most will take you for a ride If I am around I'll toss the keys to you I only have control arms and sway bars in place and the handling is day & night.
    S/C is a personal pick we have 3 vendors on site check the forum and visit the web site or give 'em a call.

Welcome to the site..... Enjoy your new ride!!!

Welcome to the site, High C. There are dozens of approaches, so take your time, and look around in the old threads; there's lots of very good data to be mined.

First thing I'd do would be to get and install a Pro-Guard skid plate. It stiffens the rear fascia, and reduces under car turbulence, decreases fuel consumption, and makes you a very manly stud-muffin.

I think you can get one shipped for about $60. Do this now.

BTW, do the Christmas lights at O.C., they are wonderful; especially the ones at the park up around 120th street.

High C,
    Welcome to the site mang! My car is also a typical slightly modded MM. I went with 4:30 gears, PI 3000 stall, and JLT CAI. The 4:30s are great around town and thank God I don't do much highway driving. I think 4:10s are the way to go. The search button is your friend for loads of info.

A good bunch of guys on here, but they seem to have some fetish for "oil" threads!
    97 Cobra, 03 Marauder

New CAM Member

Welcome to the Collective, resistance to moding is futile. You will be assimilated.

Check your PMs.
    Saorsa gu Brath
    (Freedon Forever)

Si vis pacem para bellum
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Μολὼν λαβέ
    (Come and take them)

Stann saam of sterf allen
    (Stand together or die alone)

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    (Fortune Favors the Brave)

Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos
    (Rather die as free men than be enslaved in peace)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike. It is the tree's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution guarantees our rights as American citizens, the 2nd Amendment protects those rights

"THE BLACK BOMBER"

Thread Information