Thread: Removing the "flags" for alignment

Removing the "flags" for alignment

I checked out these flags, It seems like if I just run the lower bolt all the way out, then drop the flag, put the bolt back.
    THEN I can properly get to the carfixer specs.

Correct?

Also does anyone know, is it metric (a 24MM and a 21MM)
    or is it standard 13/16th? and 7/8th?

Im going to do my own alignment monday if I can properly figure out how to remove the flags.

I got some auto crossing to do in a couple weeks and I need an alignment.
    Last edited by Black_Noise; 07-18-2009 at 09:24 AM.

You don't want to remove the bolts with the shocks/springs still in place, it's best to knock them out with a air hammer.
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

I dont see why, I would think lifted on a hoist they tension would be minimal if any on the lower control arm, and that maybe the bushing would even keep them somewhat in place.

And if that is the case why no bend most of the flag out of the way and they cut it off.

bump for more info........

Its about time for me to do this toooooooo....good timing Black Noise...my front spring are coming out for alittle cut cut tho so i guess I won't have any tension on the lower control tho....
    Originally Posted by LIGHTNIN1
    ... As for the rest of the Washigton crowd, I think we would be better off in the hands of the Somali Pirates.

2004 Black Mercury Marauder
    2057 of 3213
    K&N CAI
    Lidio 93 Octane Tune
    4.10 FRPP Gears
    MagnaFlow SS Mufflers and Tips
    Fuel Filter Upgrade Motorcraft FG800A or equivalent
    Ford part number N807055S hood squeak fix
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ASK FOR MOTORCRAFT OIL AND FILTER WHEN GETTING YOUR OIL CHANGED AT A FORD GARAGE <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On the lift, we tried to take out those bolts but there isn't enough clearance because they are long. We even tried taking loose the steering rack for clearance - no go. We finally decided to burn them off with a torch.
    2004 Mercury Marauder, dark toreador red/dark charcoal interior
    Born On Tuesday, May 18, 2004
    Sequence Nos.: 2,991 of 3,214 ('04), 10,829 of 11,052 (total) & 926 of 980 (DTRs) & 1 of 2,000 '04s without moonroof
    Purchased On Friday, October 22, 2004
    Sold On Wednesday, February 29, 2012
    Final Miles = 099871
    6 CD Trunk Changer, Heated Seats, Alternative Auto Performance Tune, Borla mufflers (#40652),
    "Powered By Ford" 2005 Ford GT Coil Covers, Aeroforce OBD2 Scan Gauge, Replacement Autometer Oil Pressure Gauge,
    McGard Wheel Locks (#24130), 2005 oil filter drip deflector

Even with the car up on a hoist the coil spring is still compressed under hundreds of pounds of force and taking the pivot bolt out is not a good idea! The rear LCA bushing bolt is still there and may hold the spring still in place but why chance it. It is not hard to take the flag off! I took one side off in my apartment complex garage with a hand file, cold chisel, and mini sledge.

How are you planning on doing your own alignment? I have done my own alignments with a digital level, some stand-off bushings I made so that the level is touching off of the wheel face and not the tire, and then I make two strings parallel to the vehicle centerline and align off of that. Using linoleum tiles with grease in between makes float plates with no resistance to camber change so you can adjust camber accurately on the ground.

Caster is what is going to be tough to measure, and it may need to be adjusted after you start messing w/ camber. You can turn the wheels a known amount by making degree marks on the floor, referenced from the float plates turning, and figure the change in camber relative to the change in turning angle. But if you don't have a floor that is perfectly level side to side and front to rear, you are going to need to correct your camber readings to zero at multiple points.
    Last edited by Stranger in the Black Sedan; 07-20-2009 at 11:04 AM.
    Steve H., Charles County, MD www.carfap.com
    1994 Lincoln Town Car. 98-02 front brakes, P71 steering and sway bars, Eaton swap build underway using TorkTech 4.6 2v intake kit.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2004 F250, v10 6 speed manual. ex-US Forest Service truck
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

Quote Originally Posted by VicsEvilBrother View Post
    Even with the car up on a hoist the coil spring is still compressed under hundreds of pounds of force and taking the pivot bolt out is not a good idea! The rear LCA bushing bolt is still there and may hold the spring still in place but why chance it. It is not hard to take the flag off! I took one side off in my apartment complex garage with a hand file, cold chisel, and mini sledge.
    Did you record it, like when you changed the tire in your living room then aired it up by filling it with gas and setting it on fire?

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

Ha, no I have a machine for that, I don't need to do trucker-style tire changes, thankfully. I would blow myself up that-a-way.
    1994 Lincoln Town Car. 98-02 front brakes, P71 steering and sway bars, Eaton swap build underway using TorkTech 4.6 2v intake kit.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

Quote Originally Posted by VicsEvilBrother View Post
    Ha, no I have a machine for that, I don't need to do trucker-style tire changes, thankfully. I would blow myself up that-a-way.
    Yeah I kno, that video is just mind boggling to me for some reason. The mention of a tire change makes me think of that now. I mean seriously, who thinks of stuff like that?

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

Truckers. Knights of the Road.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Noise View Post
    bump for more info........
    I had mine removed at the alignment shop on a lift. All we had to do to remove the bolt was to pull the tie rod shaft boot back to get enough clearance to slide the bolt and flag out. Then hammered off the flag and reinstalled the bolt, and then tie wrapped the boot back securely.

Ed
    TCE
    Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

My Garage

Thread Information