Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do cars go faster than speed limit?

twolow Guest

Why do cars go faster than speed limit?

If states have inspections and emission tests and all that, why does the government not limit the maximum speed of a car?

I don't know of anywhere that gets above 70-75 so why not make cars peak out at 80?

It wouldn't really matter if you were blowing through a neighborhood but on the interstates there wouldnt be anyone doing 90+ to pull over. No high speed chases on the interstate either.

Why do we have cars that will do 140?

Quote Originally Posted by twolow
    If states have inspections and emission tests and all that, why does the government not limit the maximum speed of a car?

I don't know of anywhere that gets above 70-75 so why not make cars peak out at 80?

It wouldn't really matter if you were blowing through a neighborhood but on the interstates there wouldnt be anyone doing 90+ to pull over. No high speed chases on the interstate either.

Shhhhhhhhhh. Don't give them any ideas.
    2001 Grand Marquis w/HPP
    BC4E Dead Pedal - Ford Billet Fuel Door - Mufflex custom 2.5" Manifold-back exhaust w/X-Pipe - Meg's 4" Marauder Tips - Metco Rear Control Arms & Watts Link - Reinhart Fuel Filter Mod - Quickor Swaybars - PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft - Dyno Pro Panther Door Sills - BF Goodrich KDW-2 245/40/19 Fronts & 285/35/19 Rears - H&R Spacers 30mm & 35MM - HP Design EVO 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 Wheels - Zexel Torsen T2-R Differential - Ford 3.73 Gears - DG Motorsports Radiator Cover - PSP tuned Excal 2 - Ford Silicone Coolant Hoses - QA1 Dual Adjustable Shocks - Car Motorsports Panther Logo UH & TL Liners - TA Performance Differential Cover - Magnaflow Cats & Mufflers - Accufab 75mm Plenum & Throttle Body - 1" Throttle Body & 1/2" Intake Spacers - AP Racing 6 Piston/13.5" Rotors Front Brake Kit - 4" CAI - Typhoon Intake Manifold - EMP Stewart Water Pump
    SuperMotors Page
    CJMF
    MotorSports North East
    15.195 @ 89.79 - 2.207 60' - 4458 lbs.

Because we can.
    Now, don't be giving anyone any ideas....
    Moderator delete this thread before "they" read it please....
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain- sold....

2016 Harley Davidson Street Glide - Olive Gold

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

1995 Schwinn High Plains 21 speed, custom gearing.

Two words: revenue generation.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    2007 Lincoln Town Car
    1993 Crown Victoria LX

How did you get on this site?
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

twolow Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourth Horseman
    Two words: revenue generation.
    Why doesn't the insurance industry have lobbyist out trying to push this? Less speeders = less accidents = lower rates = less insurance industry brings in but that has to beat what they pay out to accidents...look at the recent deaths when the MM wrecked on the interstate after speeding.

I wouldn't care if my car stopped at 80...long as everyone elses did.

I wouldn't care if my car stopped at 80...long as everyone elses did.
    You need to be stopped.
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

twolow Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dwasson
    How did you get on this site?
    LOL, don't get me wrong...I love to speed and do it quite often and have been in some near misses. We all do it and luck is what has saved us from injury. I am a idiot and need a idiot proof car I guess.

Everyone here usually after their street racing story says the roads were empty and that makes it 'A OK' but it only takes one car to pull out or something for fun to turn to horror.

I tend to speed on the interstate simply to go with the flow. I think cars should be limited to make that flow the speed limit. Its sorta funny that you can register a 200 mph sports car for use on public streets.

I am a idiot and need a idiot proof car I guess.
    I like a man who knows his limitations !!! Please tell me that you aren't running for public office.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Because it's too easy for people to undo what's been done to a car to make them capable (or not capable) of such things.

Besides, people use those speeds on closed race courses all of the time.

It's not speeding that kills people, even if you're going 140mph, it's speeding in conditions that you clearly SHOULD NOT BE SPEEDING IN that kills people.

That and not wearing a seatbelt.

If you haven't noticed, this isn't China, the government can't do everything it wants to us. If we kill ourselves or someone else, you suffer the responsibility (going to hell or going to jail IMO.) People who can do things right shouldn't have to suffer because of those who do things wrong.

The vast majority of people in this nation could stand a tougher 101 course in driving if you ask me. It's simply too easy to get a license in America.
    2007 Honda Accord V6. Fit for a father of two. 5% tint all around.

Quote Originally Posted by woaface
    If you haven't noticed, this isn't China, the government can't do everything it wants to us. If we kill ourselves or someone else, you suffer the responsibility (going to hell or going to jail IMO.) People who can do things right shouldn't have to suffer because of those who do things wrong.
    On the other hand driving a motor vehicle is not a right, either. It would be entirely legal for the government to limit top speeds to whatever they deem appropriate.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    2007 Lincoln Town Car
    1993 Crown Victoria LX

Why doesn't the insurance industry have lobbyist out trying to push this? Less speeders = less accidents = lower rates = less insurance industry brings in but that has to beat what they pay out to accidents...look at the recent deaths when the MM wrecked on the interstate after speeding.
    The only answer to this that I can think of is that it would still all be relative to the insurance industry no matter how fast we go. For example, if nobody could go over 50 MPH, the accidents would be less damaging, and by extension less expensive to pay out. But, would they still be able to charge the same rates then? I'm guessing insurance costs for motorists would go down as well.

So from the insurance industry's point of view, it's probably all about equal.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    2007 Lincoln Town Car
    1993 Crown Victoria LX

Uh Fourth, YOU are the government.

The government builds the roads because WE PAY THEM TO DO IT!

Don't forget who's in charge.
    2007 Honda Accord V6. Fit for a father of two. 5% tint all around.

Why are we even having this discussion???

This is America not some communist country whose government dictates every aspect of your life....

I think that 'twolow' was just "stirring the pot" to see what kind of reaction he'd get.

If he seriously thinks that limiting all vehicles to 80 mph maximum is a good idea, then I don't know why he is on this website... he should go join the Honda Excrement website
    www.elementownersclub.com
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Quote Originally Posted by Fourth Horseman
    The only answer to this that I can think of is that it would still all be relative to the insurance industry no matter how fast we go. For example, if nobody could go over 50 MPH, the accidents would be less damaging, and by extension less expensive to pay out. But, would they still be able to charge the same rates then? I'm guessing insurance costs for motorists would go down as well.

So from the insurance industry's point of view, it's probably all about equal.
    Sure... I'm not so confident the insurance companies would actually lower the rate, just because their costs go down. Just like the gasoline companies would lower the price of gas, too... Right?
    2001 Silver SVT Lightning - 2011 Blue Flame F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost

SOLD 2003 Marauder (300A)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information