Thread: Denso plug gap

Denso plug gap

Just installed the Reinhart chip and Denso plugs (thanks Logan for the photo step-by-step). I am assuming the Denso plugs came out of the box with the right gap? I didn't even bother to check. Anyone know?

They come properly gapped. As per D.R.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Thanks, jgc. Just wanted to be sure.

Unhappy Careful!!

Do NOT even think of going near the iridium center electrode!

The gap is permanently set and will last for a very long time under normal conditions. Trying to adjust the gap may break or damage the plug in ways you can't see.

They work perfectly right out of the box. so enjoy and relax ;>)

Kevin

10-4. Thanks for the information. These iridium plugs are new to me, as are coil-on-plug, aluminum motor, electronic transmission and just about everything else on this car.

darebren Guest
    screw the gap, was I supposed to take them out of the box first before installing them? Hmmm, might be source of some of my problems!?

Well

I don't see why gapping the plugs would damage them, but I checked the gap on those plugs when I bought them, and it wasn't anywhere near the spec for our cars(however two of them were) so I DID gap them and haven't had any problems. you just have to be careful about hitting the fine wire electrode, but as far as breaking the plugs, I find that hard to believe. BTW, the plug gap spec for the Mercury marauder is .052-.056".

Gman:

I think the concern is that since Iridium is a very brittle metal, and the centre electrode is very small, using a conventional plug gapping tool MAY damage it...the explanation I got from Dennis was that, although the gap the plugs come with is approx .010" smaller than the Marauder spec, the smaller centre electrode diameter exposes more of the flame kernel, so the larger gap isn't necessary. I installed them right out of the box, and they seem to be doing fine 7,000 miles later...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Yes,

Originally posted by RF Overlord
    Gman:

I think the concern is that since Iridium is a very brittle metal, and the centre electrode is very small, using a conventional plug gapping tool MAY damage it......
    yes, I agree w/you on that. But I don't agree that these plugs cannot be, or shouldn't be gapped. If that were the case, then I think that it would make mention of that on the boxes that the plugs come in, since that would be unlike most other types of sparkplugs. But it doesn't. I just was carefull not to drag the wire gapping tool across the fine wire electrode of the plugs very hard or swiftly. It just takes a little care, but you can still gap them. You just have to be patient, and avoid wedging the gapping tool between the fine electrode and the gapping arm of the plugs. There is a reason for the gap spec, and I think it's better to gap the plugs to the Ford spec for the 4.6L engine.(.052-.056").
    After all, if we're going to pay such close attention to fine detail as to what sparkplugs we use for our cars, then why should we neglect to gap them to spec? That's a contradiction. And as for me, since these plugs cost so much, then I wasn't going to pay that amount of money for sparkplugs, and then go and install them w/an out of spec gap. You say that your plugs having a gap that's out of spec are doing fine after 7,000 miles, and I wouldn't doubt that, but the way that I look at it, I'm sure that your original plugs were doing fine also before you changed them. So why even bother changing them if you're going to accept an improper gap on the new plugs?

Sorry to get so intense about a little thing like sparkplugs, but the price of these plugs aren't little. And that's no reflection on Dennis, cuz I priced them elsewhere before purchasing them from him and his price was the best.
    Last edited by BillyGman; 10-20-2003 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darebren
    screw the gap, was I supposed to take them out of the box first before installing them? Hmmm, might be source of some of my problems!?
    SENSE I DIDN'T SEE NO PLUGS OR WIRES WHEN I LIFTED THE HOOD I PUT MINE IN THE GAS TANK
    DIDN'T SEEM TO HURT NOTHIN
    BUT IT IS SLOW TO FILL UP NOW
    goin fast is fun
    goin faster is funner
    goin fastest is funnest

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGman
    There is a reason for the gap spec, and I think it's better to gap the plugs to the Ford spec for the 4.6L engine.(.052-.056")
    I wouldn't apply Ford's specs to a Denso plug, they are different technologies. You presented a good argument for checking the gap, I agree with that, however, Ford didn't design the Denso plug. You may have cost your self power and MPG.

I'm surprised this old thread was resurected. I'm a bit tired of arguing about the gap. I'm taking those plugs out soon anyway to go back to a standard plug. Just my choice though. But I have always thought that it's the ignition system of the engine, the combustion chamber size and shape, as well as the quench space that determines the gap specs, and not the plug itself.

But really though, siunce this is an old argument, I don't even have the stomach to re-hash it anymore on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGman
    I'm surprised this old thread was resurected. I'm a bit tired of arguing about the gap. I'm taking those plugs out soon anyway to go back to a standard plug. Just my choice though. But I have always thought that it's the ignition system of the engine, the combustion chamber size and shape, as well as the quench space that determines the gap specs, and not the plug itself. But really though, siunce this is an old argument, I don't even have the stomach to re-hash it anymore on this board.
    Good choice.

Thread Information