Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobil 1 - OK?

60birdtom Guest

Mobil 1 - OK?

Just bought a 2003 Marauder that was built August 18, 2002 and has been sitting on a dealer's lot ever since (except for about 400 miles put on it by various people). Now that the oil has been in the engine for a year, I figure it's time to drain it.

Since I'll be driving this car seldom and not at all during the winter, I've been thinking that Mobil 1 might be a good idea since it doesn't deteriorate as fast as petroleum based oils. If I put 1500 miles a year on this car, that will be a lot.

Any thoughts on this? I normally do not use synthetics in any of my cars, but think that this might be a good idea for this one.

By the way, I love this car! What's not to like?

Mobil 1 5W-30 is what I started Using after I broke-in my engine
    after 1,035 miles and It runs well . Back when I had my 2000
    Crown Victoria LX Brand new ,I used 5W-30 with no problem .
    I'll keep my Freedom, my Money, my Religion, my Guns & you can keep the " Change ".

60birdtom - Welcome to the site. You will like it here. The factory oil is Motorcraft 5 W 20 Syntheic blend. I am currently using this oil. Many members are using full Synthic. Congrats and enjoy the new ride.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

60bird:

Welcome to the board...

Mobil 1 is used by many of our members and it has an excellent reputation...

Using a car only 1500 miles a year makes oil changes problematic...if you really don't drive it AT ALL in the winter, then maybe doing what boat owners do would be best...change it every fall, just before you put it away...I've heard it's best to leave the factory oil in for the first 1000 miles before switching to a full synthetic...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Marauderer Guest

What about?

What about running 3 quarts of Mobil I 5w30 and 3 quarts of Mobil I 0w30? Any thoughts?

Ummm...why?

I may be way off on this, but I don't think they directly add like that...in other words, I don't think you'll end up with a 2.5W-30...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Marauderer Guest

A really dumb reason..

I wanted 6 5w30 and they only had 3, instead of going somewhere else, I bought 3 0w30 on impulse. Now I wonder why I did it...

That's not a really dumb reason...I don't see any problem DOING it, just wondered WHY you'd do it on purpose...since you already have the oil in hand, I don't see why it would be a problem to use it...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

60birdtom Guest
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Sounds like Mobil 1 might be a good choice for this car, especially the way I'll use it. Wonder why they don't make a 5W20? I know that Ford is absolutely bonkers about not using an oil heavier than that in the 4.6L and I have heard of people destroying engines by using 10W30 in them.

Ford is supposedly coming out with a full synthetic 5W20 sometime also. By the way, I dare you to only drive this car 1500 miles a year. Once you start you cant stop,you will be in it every chance you get
    06 300C SRT8
    03 MM Gone

60birdtom Guest
    Yea, you're probably right about putting more than 1500 miles a year on it. I'm already planning a trip to the coast of Maine in 2 weeks and I'll be driving the Marauder.

But, Winters are long around here - read that to mean that there's too much salt on the roads - and once the snow flies, the Maurader won't.

Yea another snow storm like the one last year and im going to drive my wifes taurus for the winter
    I'll keep my Freedom, my Money, my Religion, my Guns & you can keep the " Change ".

mdnightrnr Guest
    Mobil 1 released 0-20 synthetic it is exclusivly for all0-20 aplications .I spoke to Mobil they said 0-20 is the Ideal oil for all ford cars using o-20w

Re: What about?

Originally posted by Marauderer
    What about running 3 quarts of Mobil I 5w30 and 3 quarts of Mobil I 0w30? Any thoughts?
    Awe Jeeze...Why do you wanna do this to us, eh? You really hate us, don't you...Christ!

No more oil threads.....

say it with me....

"no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"...."no more oil threads"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information