Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Additive Scam ( FTC )

Oil Additive Scam ( FTC )

Guys, this is Marylandrauder's son, Brent, you may have seen me at the Safford Lincoln Mercury Car Show that goes on every year in June, I need some advice.

I was a moderator for 2 years on a forum for a product called auto-rx that claims it cleans out:

1) Engines
    2) Transmissions
    3) Differentials
    4) Powersteering

I left the auto-rx board when I found out the product was originally designed to clean printing presses that runs on hydraulic fluid, and these printing presses are a closed system, meaning no introduction of air, just like a transmission, differential, or powersteering, so the contaniments are soft.

In an engine the deposits are harder, and many people are claiming that all this product has done is maybe clean there ring packs, it has not cleaned there valvetrain because arx does not work under splash lubrication. I also found out this product was never tested on an automobile engine, this stuff is not cheap, it goes for $26.00 a bottle.

They tried to sell the product to Auto-Zone, and they were going to give auto-rx $20.00 for every bottle that was sold and charge consumers $50.00 a bottle, many people who tried auto-rx are now using Marvel Mystery Oil that goes for $3.50 a quart and they are getting better results.

This is as big a scam as Z- Max and maybe Slick50, I want to report them to the FTC, I was an insider and I was given a lot of free product, do I call the FTC, I was thinking of mailing in a short letter, but I am afraid it will get lost in some bureaucratic mess. I do not want to see this product show up in some auto parts store.

There is a You-Tube video on this product and the pictures of the valvetrain are fake, do I post underneath in the comment section and say hey FTC check these guys out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Wow that sounds horrible. I use Lucas oil stabilizer, my little tracer has horrible valve train noise and the Lucas quiets it right up.
    FRPP dealer owner of SpartaPerformance.com
    We are an authorized independent AMSOIL dealer.

The ONLY additive i occasionally use is lucas in the gas tank & oil stabilizer.
    Does ANY additive on the market really do what its supposed to do?
    What really works???

The KING of BLING!

BOOST GETS YOU IMPERSONATED!

Quote Originally Posted by GOT5.0 View Post
    Be forewarned dont run the one that says DOOM. cause thats just what youll get!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEDOWN View Post
    It's easy to find D00M, just follow his smoke or his trail of trophies!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMBLUE View Post
    When your good nobody likes ya, everyones jealous.

Lucas is the only thing I found that works
    FRPP dealer owner of SpartaPerformance.com
    We are an authorized independent AMSOIL dealer.

You need all your ducks in a row before you public with these type allegations. You can expect to be sued.
    2004 DTR Marauder, Built 26 February 2004, Inservice: 02 July 2004 Retired from DD 17 July 2008. Survived the cut, 28 April 2012. Back as a DD as of 18 November 2012.

Personal opinion .....

Let it go. Sounds like you are trying to clear your conscience after pimping the product "on the boards" for more than 2 years. As RayJay states, you will only stir up a hornets nest of legal activity for yourself by going public. Their resources are greater than yours (I suspect) and the battle will be a costly one.

Regardless of the outcome, people will still buy the product. As P.T. Barnum once said "There's a sucker born every minute." There's no end to products that don't live up to their claims ..... this'll just be another one.

Don't beat yourself up .... you now know the facts on the product and terminated your relationship with the sponsor. Your conscience should be clear.

JMHO.

On the Positive Side .... some people need to be taken in by a $50.00 scam so that they are more wary and won't fall for the $5000.00 Nigerian e-mail scam or something worse later on.
    Last edited by Bluerauder; 09-04-2009 at 10:49 AM.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerauder View Post
    Personal opinion .....

Let it go. Sounds like you are trying to clear your conscience after pimping the product "on the boards" for more than 2 years. As RayJay states, you will only stir up a hornets nest of legal activity for yourself by going public. Their resources are greater than yours (I suspect) and the battle will be a costly one.

Regardless of the outcome, people will still buy the product. As P.T. Barnum once said "There's a sucker born every minute." There's no end to products that don't live up to their claims ..... this'll just be another one.

Don't beat yourself up .... you now know the facts on the product and terminated your relationship with the sponsor. Your conscience should be clear.

JMHO.
    ^^^+10^^^

If you value your knee caps you should just move on!!!

You have done your job in warning the people that count.....US!!!

BTW, Z-Max is the most lucrative scam ever!!!
    No Marauder

Another vote for let it go. The only sure fire method I know of to clean the valvetrain is disassembly and power brush.
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

2005 Dodge 1500 Hemi Quadcab
    2020 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Just move from this debacle.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Auto-Rx has enjoyed a very good reputation among the more knowledgeable people on BITOG for a long time. Their word means more than that of someone we don't know who claims "inside" information.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I agree with the others, let it go....It will cause more problems than what it is worth.
    2003 300A
    Build date 9/27/02
    Sequence# 5244 of 7839
    I have a few things done to it, Eaton swap next!
    1993 Ford Taurus SHO-Every bolt on available...Awaiting a Turbo
    2008 Ford F350 SD
    1974 Ford F350 SCS
    2011 Ford Flex Titanium, Ecoboost
    www.cardomain.com/id/shofast
    If you don't stand behind our troops; please feel free to stand in front of them!

I think you should do what you feel is right. The right thing and the easy thing are rarely the same thing. IMO the people that know something is wrong and don't speak out share just as much blame as the company that is actually screwing people over.

The Federal Government has whistle blower laws and protections to ensure your safety. They are so adamant about businesses doing things like this that they give the whistle blower a cut of the settlement money. Proof of this has been in the news as recently as yesterday with the Pfizer deal, google it. The whistle blower is getting around $51 million of the over $2 billion settlement Phizer is ordered to pay.

www.whistleblowerlaws.com outlines some of the numerous federal laws about whistle blowers that may or may not apply.
    Don't bring skittles to a gunfight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerauder View Post
    won't fall for the $5000.00 Nigerian e-mail scam or something worse later on.
    Oh no!!
    That was a SCAM!!

I'd tread carefully if I were you. I couldn't agree more with what Bluerauder posted here. You've terminated your relationship with the sponsor, and hopefully that will make you feel better about things. I believe that companies that are "below board" will probobly be faster to sue than ones that aren't and the last thing you need on your hands is a lawsuit. Even if you win, the legal fees might kill you, and may god forbid that you loose. Seriously, I'd just walk away; it sucks, but the future issues that this might cause you just aren't worth it.
    03 Mercury Marauder
    93 Mercury Sable
    94 T-Bird (Traded in on Marauder.... I'll miss ya!)
    88 F-150 XLT Lariat 4X4
    57 Plymouth

Like your Japanese car or truck? Please park it in TOKYO!

I Support our troops in Afghanistan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information