PDA

View Full Version : Am I NUTS?

Mike M
12-18-2015, 08:09 PM
Need some advice from the cold state guys.

I bought a new 2016 Corvette from a dealer in Dearborn Michigan and the transportation company won't be able to get it here in Arizona for weeks mainly because of the holidays. Wifey and I are thinking about flying out there and driving it back. I'm guessing 30 hours of driving which sucks but the weather is the big potential problem.

What say you...has anyone done this type of drive?

ChiTownMaraud3r
12-18-2015, 08:14 PM
I would be patient and have them transport. I assume they are responsible and insured if something happens on the way. Not to mention, a trip like that during possible bad weather... it has just started to get colder up here, a few weeks ago and you would have been fine driving around on those summer tires still.

Also, I drove my last purchase from Kansas City to Chicago and I had a rock chip even while beng extremely careful. I would be patient and have the car delivered.

EDIT: just checked the forecast, looks like you are in the clear, 40s and 50s still, no snowin for now, just rain if any.

Bad_S55
12-18-2015, 08:15 PM
Living here, I can tell you that this would be the ideal time since there is no snow, no salt, and the weather is going to be in the 40s and 50s next week. I think that could be a fun drive; your own personal Power Tour! Best of luck & Merry Christmas.

Bradley G
12-18-2015, 08:25 PM
Its snowing here in Rockford

Red Rum
12-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Best things come to those who wait. I feel what your saying. And I would be itching too. To get my hands on that beast. But wait it out. And you won't put miles on it. And drive it threw the rain of snow. Plus you don't take a chance. Of a button wipe God Forbid. Wipe you out. You have to see the pro's and con's. And just wait it out. She will get there so fresh and so clean. If you follow me. Either way Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. And the best of luck with that pretty beast.

Haggis
12-18-2015, 09:17 PM
Am I NUTS?

Yes, you are. If the weather holds go for it.

chief455
12-18-2015, 11:05 PM
12-15 hours each way = 30?

I did this. Same time of year. Online swap where I delivered.
Drove a 2001 Yukon from north Ct, in snowy winter, through the icey Poconos, through Ohio, to border of Il. Left at 6am. Arrived at 6:30pm. Checked out the car in lighted, lifted garage for 40 minutes.
Jumped in a 2001 SS Camaro, lowered and tuned. Slept at hotel from 8pm and left at 3am - car was covered with crusty snow dust.
On the highway, it was clear sailing and was in my garage at 5pm that day.
WIN!
Fun ride, great memory.
If the roads got snow covered, I'd have grabbed a room until they cleaned up.
Check the weather along the route you plan - website for that is out there.
If the 2 days look clear, go!

1Marauder
12-19-2015, 01:21 AM
Mike, if the weather is clear and warm for the route of the trip, yes, go for it...

That said, I'd much rather pull the NEW plastic off the seats and the protective film off the paint, at your shop, and have the car be BRAND NEW when you receive it at home (that car is not made for snow). Then you can drive around in your harsh Arizona 50 sunny degree sunny weather... And have it be brand spanking new.

Had to know no truckers would want to be gone Christmas and or New Years.

So my vote is: YES, YOU ARE NUTZ, and NO to the drive in Winter.

PS We have a cabin near Squaw Vally (Winter Olympics) less than 2 hours away, and neither Marauder has ever been there, even in Summer. Hell, PINE CONES can fall and dent your car with a wind gust, almost any time of year!

If it were a new Escalade, I'd say get the weather Tech matts and let her rip...

Guittard22
12-19-2015, 05:07 AM
Could be a fun trip to see different parts of the USA

hotford
12-19-2015, 06:04 AM
hire a private courier companey that can deliver it with an enclosed trailer....
may run ya 1500...?

MOTOWN
12-19-2015, 06:42 AM
If the weather permitting, i would not hesitate to make the trip , it will be a memory you , and your wife will have for the rest of your lives, i say do it!

justbob
12-19-2015, 06:54 AM
Only if I had to. The older I get, the more I hate long trips..

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk

Granddaddy Marq
12-19-2015, 06:54 AM
If you have the means. Get on a plane this afternoon, fly up there, pickup your/her car. Get a room for the night. Then head south to the Corvette museum, where you take a picture of it and the wife in front of the museum. Then take the tour. Immediately after tour head south to Nashville, and get on I40 west, where you get a room for the night. Get up the next morning and check the 2 day forecast. That will determine whether you take I40 or I30 to I20 to I10. Even if you get snowed in some place. Your snowed in, with a grateful wife, who you just bought a Hot new sports car. Sounds like "Winning" to me.

loud2004marquis
12-19-2015, 07:11 AM
I live about a half hour from Dearborn and went out this morning shopping. Salt all over the roads...

cer0413
12-19-2015, 07:12 AM
pay just bob to bring it

Spectragod
12-19-2015, 07:27 AM
I have a truck and trailer, for the right money, I could deliver it to you by Christmas.

justbob
12-19-2015, 07:37 AM
pay just bob to bring it

LOL My back wouldn't last two hours driving it and if I unburied the hauler I doubt he'd wanna pay my time off Plumbing plus my fuel at 9MPG..! Oh and NO! [emoji14]

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk

Bad_S55
12-19-2015, 07:41 AM
I live about a half hour from Dearborn and went out this morning shopping. Salt all over the roads...

Crap, I haven't been out yet this morning. It's stupid, we got a light dusting that barely stuck to the grass, let alone the roads.

cer0413
12-19-2015, 08:08 AM
Crap, I haven't been out yet this morning. It's stupid, we got a light dusting that barely stuck to the grass, let alone the roads.
same here in Chicago last night.

Lowndex
12-19-2015, 12:02 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/12/19/icy-roads-leads-50-car-pileup-michigan/77623752/

Bad_S55
12-19-2015, 12:10 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/12/19/icy-roads-leads-50-car-pileup-michigan/77623752/

That's the west side of the state. Here in South East Michigan, there's not a spec of snow to be seen.

Spectragod
12-19-2015, 12:13 PM
I thought Michigan was only 60 square miles in size????? :D :D

Joe Walsh
12-19-2015, 12:13 PM
I'd fly out to pick it up and have a fun 'road trip' back home!

Also,
I'd never trust the transport guys with my new car.
I hate to say it but you know that the $8.00/hr bonehead transporting your new Vette will fire up the ice cold, brand new, motor and say:

"Hey Bubba listen to this Vette's new sport exhaust sound at 6,500 rpm!!!"

MOTOWN
12-19-2015, 12:16 PM
I thought Michigan was only 60 square miles in size????? :D :D

Just like Ohio state thought they had something for Michigan state! Lol :D

lji372
12-19-2015, 12:19 PM
Living here, I can tell you that this would be the ideal time since there is no snow, no salt, and the weather is going to be in the 40s and 50s next week. I think that could be a fun drive; your own personal Power Tour! Best of luck & Merry Christmas.

What ^^^^^^ he said.

If you need a lift from the airport to the dealer let me know :beatnik:

jgc61sr2002
12-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Have it shipped.
Did you buy from Les Stanford?
Great dealer, bought mine there.
I trailered mine home.

Mike M
12-19-2015, 02:05 PM
Thanks for all your input. Got price on flights...not too bad. Wifey says it's a go but after reading some of your post and seeing weather updates I think I'm going to tell her it might be wiser to wait until Reliable can get it here. I was and still hoping to get it here before 1/10 when we are going to vegas and would love to drive it.

Yes it was bought from Les Stanford in Dearborn, they were great and recommend them highly.

Thanks again guys... by the way we just got over our 7 day cold snap here...went into the 50's...people were panicking.

RubberCtyRauder
12-19-2015, 02:28 PM
I recommend Reliable Carriers as well, they are not some $8.00 an hour driver, they are Owner Operators so there whole existence is based on their service skills. The don't transport 7 figure cars for "showing their friends at look what it can do" Reliable hauled my marauder to MO's when I bought it out of state and would use again

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu92/mdnos/loadedup_zps8d4bc63e.jpg

Mike M
12-19-2015, 02:35 PM
Can't wait to try launch control.

svtrichie
12-19-2015, 02:42 PM
I did the exact drive when I moved here. Around 30 hrs 2000 miles. But I did it in a jeep. That sucked. Do it, take a few extra days to see some cool stuff. A friend did it a few years ago in a 69 Buick riv.

chief455
12-19-2015, 02:45 PM
Thanks for all your input. Got price on flights...not too bad. Wifey says it's a go but after reading some of your post and seeing weather updates I think I'm going to tell her it might be wiser to wait until Reliable can get it here. I was and still hoping to get it here before 1/10 when we are going to vegas and would love to drive it.

Yes it was bought from Les Stanford in Dearborn, they were great and recommend them highly.

Thanks again guys... by the way we just got over our 7 day cold snap here...went into the 50's...people were panicking.
While the road trip would be fun, and likely no issues, best choice to have it arrive at your door still new.

I recommend Reliable Carriers as well, they are not some $8.00 an hour driver, they are Owner Operators so there whole existence is based on their service skills. The don't transport 7 figure cars for "showing their friends at look what it can do" Reliable hauled my marauder to MO's when I bought it out of state and would use again
I used many carriers over the years and never had ANY damages. Intercity Lines (enclosed only) by far the best. Still, pick-up and destination times are never set in stone. Biggest delay factor being when auctions are going on.
Be patient, you'll be glad in the long run :)

svtrichie
12-19-2015, 03:13 PM
Have them do a clear bra before pickup. Just take the southern route instead of 40. Less chance of bad weather. And it's plastic, salt won't hurt it!!

Fastbob
12-19-2015, 04:29 PM
If one of the latest long term reviews by a car magazine is correct, it will break down 2 or 3 times during the trip.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-z51-manual-long-term-test-wrap-up-update-three-page-2

MyBlackBeasts
12-19-2015, 05:17 PM
You do realize grand Rapids is on the other side of the state , and some 4+ hours away from Dearborn :confused:

Doesn't matter, huge front - did the same here.

Flurries, saw the plow go past house & I'm like WTF?!? Stupid waste of tax $$$ plows out for flurries!!!

Then I found out the flurries melted and then froze! Huge pile up shut down I-90 by Janesville.

Dumb asses cant drive for ****! :shake:

chief455
12-19-2015, 05:26 PM
If one of the latest long term reviews by a car magazine is correct, it will break down 2 or 3 times during the trip.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-z51-manual-long-term-test-wrap-up-update-three-page-2

OUCH! :eek::(

MOTOWN
12-19-2015, 05:46 PM
Doesn't matter, huge front - did the same here.

Flurries, saw the plow go past house & I'm like WTF?!? Stupid waste of tax $$$ plows out for flurries!!!

Then I found out the flurries melted and then froze! Huge pile up shut down I-90 by Janesville.

Dumb asses cant drive for ****! :shake:

Thats just how goes up north, flurries one minute, sunshine the next , snow plow drivers can't win ! If they go for what is considered minor snow their wasting money, if they don't salt the roads and someone slides into your car , your first words are where in the hell are the snow plows:help:

Heard that b.s. for 14years!

akr619
12-19-2015, 05:53 PM
The car can wait... are you seriously that excited you would do all that? You are nuts... wait for it and enjoy the holidays.

Mike M
12-19-2015, 06:50 PM

Never buy the first year of a totally new vehicle design. Seems like they worked out the bugs by the 2nd year and I'm buying the 3rd year, not worried.

MyBlackBeasts
12-19-2015, 08:07 PM
Thats just how goes up north, flurries one minute, sunshine the next , snow plow drivers can't win ! If they go for what is considered minor snow their wasting money, if they don't salt the roads and someone slides into your car , your first words are where in the hell are the snow plows:help:

Heard that b.s. for 14years!

Yep. Once I heard about the ice the blows being out then made sense.

If you don't like the weather here, wait 5 minutes! ;)

Fastbob
12-20-2015, 07:21 AM
Never buy the first year of a totally new vehicle design. Seems like they worked out the bugs by the 2nd year and I'm buying the 3rd year, not worried.I wish you the best of luck with it. I owned a 2006 C6 Coupe for 4 years and it was trouble free. I would, if in your shoes, fly up and drive that car home.

babbage
12-21-2015, 01:31 PM
picture

http://www.carthrottle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Picture-34.png

Not snowing yet....

Mike M
12-21-2015, 01:38 PM
Wow...stress!!!
Just booked a car carrier that will be at dealership at 9am tomorrow and may be here by this weekend.

Dealer is texting me pictures of prepped car soon that I will post here.

I downloaded the On-Star app and can track the car throughout it's journey.

Thanks for your help guys.

Marauderjack
12-21-2015, 03:17 PM
Wow...stress!!!
Just booked a car carrier that will be at dealership at 9am tomorrow and may be here by this weekend.

Dealer is texting me pictures of prepped car soon that I will post here.

I downloaded the On-Star app and can track the car throughout it's journey.

Thanks for your help guys.

VERY SMART MOVE!!!:beer:

Enjoy Christmas and your new Vette when it arrives!!:D

Mike M
12-21-2015, 06:19 PM
Ok, here are a couple pictures the salesman sent me. The car gets shipped tomorrow and hopefully will arrive this weekend.

OnStar app is pretty cool, remote start/unlock/fuel in gallons/odometer/unlock/horn and lights from my phone and I can track car on map.
Also built in 4G.

Can't wait to try out launch control.

Spectragod
12-21-2015, 07:09 PM
picture

http://www.carthrottle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Picture-34.png

Not snowing yet....

Just a light dusting.........:D