PDA

View Full Version : Help replacing LCM On a 04-05 Crown Victoria

Guittard22
12-21-2015, 06:56 PM
I am on My Way, Christmas Eve to Vermont taking my car for but my regular headlights just will not turn on !!!:mad:

I have a great condition replacement from a member here and Trying to get some information on how long this typically takes to change and if anybody has any good helpful videos I search Google didn't really get anything on Crown VICS only Crown Vic.net but not really what I was looking for .

03Merc
12-21-2015, 06:59 PM
It's pretty simple, it's located under the driver side dash above gas pedal. It has two plugs to disconnect and a few screws holding it in place. Unplug it, back the screws out and there's a small clip holding it in place, You'll see it.

#1618 of 3214

Squirrel
12-21-2015, 07:08 PM
I'm a ford tech. they only take about 15 minutes at the most. it held in by a couple of 7mm bolts and a few connectors then slides out of the bracket. just an FYI When parts become available in second quarter of 2016 ford just came out with a advance notice recall today! 15S39 to replace the LCM and extended coverage 14N01 for LCM has been out that will cover a new LCM.

Guittard22
12-21-2015, 07:29 PM
I'm a ford tech. they only take about 15 minutes at the most. it held in by a couple of 7mm bolts and a few connectors then slides out of the bracket. just an FYI When parts become available in second quarter of 2016 ford just came out with a advance notice recall today! 15S39 to replace the LCM and extended coverage 14N01 for LCM has been out that will cover a new LCM.

They ( Ford ) ordered me a new one about two months ago still hasn't come in call them back the other day to check on it gave them my vin number 20 times they say my crown does not exist :confused: but I just got a new inspection sticker - so a well known guy on this site helped me out with a free one wow thanks again !

CWright
12-21-2015, 07:34 PM
I followed these directions and had it swapped in 15 min.

LCM Removal:

The LCM is about the size of a brick and is located just to the right of the steering column, in front of the gas pedal.

There are 3 electrical connectors on the LCM.

Remove the bottom two connectors by depressing the tabs and pulling on the connectors.

Remove the 2 mounting screws with a 7mm nut driver or socket.

Push the LCM towards the gas pedal while rotating it up towards the roof. Once it’s free of the bracket, pull the back of the LCM down towards the floor.

You should now be able to release the last electrical connector.

Just reverse the steps for re installation.

Use one of the 7mm screws to secure the external relay to the LCM bracket.

Guittard22
12-21-2015, 07:36 PM
You guys rock - and Chris look for a txt from me in a few days - got some news

CWright
12-21-2015, 07:39 PM
Don't old back now! Send it my way!:D

fastblackmerc
12-22-2015, 06:18 AM
I am on My Way, Christmas Eve to Vermont taking my car for but my regular headlights just will not turn on !!!:mad:

I have a great condition replacement from a member here and Trying to get some information on how long this typically takes to change and if anybody has any good helpful videos I search Google didn't really get anything on Crown VICS only Crown Vic.net but not really what I was looking for .

If you got one of my repaired LCM's there would have been instructions included.

BTW... I responded to your PM.

Have a safe trip!

Spectragod
12-22-2015, 10:37 AM
If you got one of my repaired LCM's there would have been instructions included.

BTW... I responded to your PM.

Have a safe trip!

If he would have gotten 1 of yours, it would have cost money, he said he got it for free. And really, instructions are not needed, 3 connectors and a couple of 7mm screws.... Not like we are building transmissions.

fastblackmerc
12-22-2015, 11:15 AM
If he would have gotten 1 of yours, it would have cost money, he said he got it for free. And really, instructions are not needed, 3 connectors and a couple of 7mm screws.... Not like we are building transmissions.

As stated in the original post he did need instructions on how to replace it.

Siege
12-22-2015, 11:37 AM
Have there been any design changes to fix the flaws with the LCM or are they just replacing it with a new one that will eventually have the same issues?

I had to give mine a tap the other day to get the lights to come on.

fastblackmerc
12-22-2015, 11:54 AM
Have there been any design changes to fix the flaws with the LCM or are they just replacing it with a new one that will eventually have the same issues?

I had to give mine a tap the other day to get the lights to come on.

Tapping the LCM to get the headlights on is the primary sign that the headlight relay in the LCM is on it's way out.

I haven't seen one of the new ones but I would have to assume that the relays are the same low power ones installed originally. I would also assume that the new LCM will fail again but this time it will certainly be out of any type of Ford warranty.

Ambitious1
12-22-2015, 01:19 PM
My headlights starting going out and I had to keep tapping them to get them to come back on.

Take it to a Ford Dealer and get it done for free due to the 2003-2005 LCM recall:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-ford-recall-idUSKBN0U51TT20151222

fastblackmerc
12-22-2015, 02:20 PM
My headlights starting going out and I had to keep tapping them to get them to come back on.

Take it to a Ford Dealer and get it done for free due to the 2003-2005 LCM recall:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-ford-recall-idUSKBN0U51TT20151222

Yes they will replace it for free, but I don't think they upgraded the headlight relay... still using the same old low-powered one. I've also found that over time the other lights the the LCM control will start to fail. Ford won't swap out, under the recall, the LCM for any other issue other than the headlights failing and it has to fail while they are testing it. Once it is replaced under the recall you will never be able to get it done again for free from Ford since there is a time and mileage limit.

With one of my repaired LCM's you get a 40amp external headlight relay (easy to swap if you ever have to) and three internal relays upgraded from the 10amp stock units to 20amp units. Plus i give you a life of the vehicle warranty.