PDA

View Full Version : Found A New "Toy"........

Marauderjack
01-03-2016, 08:12 AM
Going to see it next week!! :eek: :burnout: :D

parker
01-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Fn nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fordnut02
01-03-2016, 08:57 AM

those stock wheels , look like the old style Keystones

03blackvegas
01-03-2016, 08:59 AM
What does it say on the hood?

larryo340
01-03-2016, 09:14 AM

Looks like "SIX PACK"

chief455
01-03-2016, 10:04 AM
nice ride!
moar pics!

squinting, maybe 440 SIX PACK :confused:

Bad_S55
01-03-2016, 10:06 AM
That's hot!

martyo
01-03-2016, 10:26 AM
Keep us posted.

And post more pictures!!!

kirk
01-03-2016, 10:55 AM

Excellent!

290 HP my arse.

daddyusmaximus
01-03-2016, 11:51 AM
Classic. We'll need better photos.

1Marauder
01-03-2016, 12:49 PM
MarauderJack, this is my dream car. I have wanted that car, your car all of my life--since I first saw it.

Great job! More pictures please!

PS After you get it all sorted out, I want to fly out and have you take for a long drive in it!

I still owe you a cup of coffee!

O's Fan Rich
01-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Congrats, MJ!!!

O's Fan Rich
01-03-2016, 12:50 PM

..... or shall I say "MoparJack"?

03blackvegas
01-03-2016, 01:23 PM
Here are some pictures of the factory emblems found on Challenger hoods, they differ from what is pictured. This is why I asked.

chief455
01-03-2016, 02:17 PM
Here are some pictures of the factory emblems found on Challenger hoods, they differ from what is pictured. This is why I asked.

to me, it looks like the lettering in your second, pink pic.
Moparjack? WTF is under the hood :confused:

chief455
01-03-2016, 02:18 PM
those stock wheels , look like the old style Keystones

Keystone Classics, for sure...

MOTOWN
01-03-2016, 02:35 PM
Sweet ride!

Marauderjack
01-03-2016, 03:09 PM
No news until I see it in person!!;)

03blackvegas
01-03-2016, 04:07 PM
No news until I see it in person!!;)

Marauderjack, are you saying you don't know what engine or what the wheels are, on a car your going to look at to buy? :confused:

03blackvegas
01-03-2016, 04:11 PM
to me, it looks like the lettering in your second, pink pic.
Moparjack? WTF is under the hood :confused:

The size and spacing looks different.

fordnut02
01-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Keystone Classics, for sure...

thought so , they were used alot back in the day, I had a set on a Cutlass

Crown Vicman
01-03-2016, 05:06 PM
Definitely keystone classics, I have a set on my car right now.

Marauderjack
01-04-2016, 03:32 AM
Not sure about the wheels but the engine is a bored and stroked MOPAR 440 Magnum.......520 c.i. with Three Deuces.......611 HP on the engine dyno!!:D

Engine built by these guys: http://www.dougherbertracing.com/

4 Speed manual to 3.23 rear gears!!:burnout:

Only thing that does not work is the fuel gauge and he has a new gauge and sender but has not installed yet!! :(

At this point it looks good but I will see it tomorrow or Wednesday!! :banana:

Stay tuned!! ;)

O's Fan Rich
01-04-2016, 04:37 AM
Not sure about the wheels but the engine is a bored and stroked MOPAR 440 Magnum.......520 c.i. with Three Deuces.......611 HP on the engine dyno!!:D

Engine built by these guys: http://www.dougherbertracing.com/

4 Speed manual to 3:23 rear gears!!:burnout:

Only thing that does not work is the fuel gauge and he has a new gauge and sender but has not installed yet!! :(

At this point it looks good but I will see it tomorrow or Wednesday!! :banana:

Stay tuned!! ;)

I'd go buy it out from under you. Jack..... but you see, the way I got my bank accounts, I got checking and I got savings.....:rolleyes:

Marauderjack
01-04-2016, 08:56 AM
I'd go buy it out from under you. Jack..... but you see, the way I got my bank accounts, I got checking and I got savings.....:rolleyes:

I know the feelin' Rich........purty expensive "toy" but I'm gettin' OLD and need some EXCITEMENT!!:eek: :burnout: :D

Marauderjack
01-05-2016, 04:04 PM
582 mile round trip and a bit of a setback!!:(

After 5 years in storage it wouldn't start....DUH.......he's gonna work on it and call me IF he gets it running!!??:shake:

I'm tired and VERY disappointed!!:depress:

chief455
01-05-2016, 04:33 PM
582 mile round trip and a bit of a setback!!:(

After 5 years in storage it wouldn't start....DUH.......he's gonna work on it and call me IF he gets it running!!??:shake:

I'm tired and VERY disappointed!!:depress:
Not a very serious seller.
I'd have you waited until I had the car running before arranging the trip. :shake:

Imagine he got it running with you there, and it had no oil pressure and blew. That is pretty sad for the level of car it appears to be.
Sorry you wasted your time.
Was it a nice car beside that?

Marauderjack
01-06-2016, 03:56 AM
The guy took a nasty fall on ice right after he finished the car broke his right femur, hip and crushed 3 vertebrae!!:eek: After many surgeries he is practically crippled and 75 years old......smokes and has COPD......I'm not sure he'll ever get it running??:shake:

He lives at the top of a small mountain with a rutted gravel road having 2 or 3 serious "switch backs" that I would NEVER attempt with the Marauder.....not sure the Challenger will survive the trip down either!!:shake: It has a Canton pan with 4" ground clearance that he bashed 5 years ago and had to replace since the crank was hitting it.......I couldn't begin to make this story up......VERY disheartening!!:(

The car is very nice but not running is worth 1/3 what he's asking (maybe?)....motor alone was $15K!!:cool:

We'll see what may come about........:alone:

martyo
01-06-2016, 04:46 AM
How was the body and sheet metal?

sexygomer
01-06-2016, 06:12 AM
Damn! Dat's purty! 520 six pack! I am in awe.

Marauderjack
01-06-2016, 07:24 AM
How was the body and sheet metal?

Marty.....it was 8 out of 10 since he cut out the rear quarters and welded replacements in.......not perfect to me but would it make a good driver!!:burnout:

martyo
01-06-2016, 07:50 AM
Marty.....it was 8 out of 10 since he cut out the rear quarters and welded replacements in.......not perfect to me but would it make a good driver!!:burnout:

Knowing what you know, I would recommend going in with a low offer and getting the car put together and ENJOY!!!!

chief455
01-06-2016, 11:09 AM
Knowing what you know, I would recommend going in with a low offer and getting the car put together and ENJOY!!!!

I was thinking the same. You are probably the only buyer he will get, except junk pirates. He has no means to get the car ready for sale, or prove it's current mechanical state, forces him to lt it go at an 'as is' price.
Have a flatbed pick it up.

Joe Walsh
01-06-2016, 12:34 PM
JEEZ!
1st rule of selling a car, especially one that's carburated.....
is to have the motor warmed up BEFORE the buyer gets there....then it starts with a flick of the key and idles nice and smooth.

Marauderjack
01-06-2016, 03:44 PM
JEEZ!
1st rule of selling a car, especially one that's carburated.....
is to have the motor warmed up BEFORE the buyer gets there....then it starts with a flick of the key and idles nice and smooth.

Agreed Joe but the poor guy can hardly walk.......:shake:

I want to at least hear it run without knocking.......he has friends to help him with that!! :cool:

We'll see what happens.......not such a big deal for me but it means a LOT to him!!

Marauderjack
01-14-2016, 02:51 PM
Found out today the car started life as a 6 cylinder Challenger and he has meticulously made it into a 440 R/T "CLONE"!!:eek:

Basically it's a beautiful "Hot Rod" with ZERO "Collector Value"!!:bigcry:

It's actually worth less than half of what he's asking......sad for him with his health problems!!:(

2,4shofast
01-14-2016, 03:55 PM
That has got to be a pretty big blow for him, all around crappy.:shake:

Marauderjack
01-15-2016, 03:41 AM
That has got to be a pretty big blow for him, all around crappy.:shake:

I'm not gonna be the one to break the news to him but I think he has an idea that it's not the "prize" he thought it would be!!:shake:

I hope he finds a buyer at or near his asking price!!:beer:

Marauderjack
01-15-2016, 02:00 PM
Life often walks a crooked path........duh!!:eek:

I contacted several Classic Car sales outfits today and they all say this "Clone" is worth almost twice the asking price so it looks like I may go ahead and buy it........gonna try to pick it up next week!!:beer:

Stay tuned....I'm dizzy!!:burnout:

lifespeed
01-15-2016, 02:33 PM
Life often walks a crooked path........duh!!:eek:

I contacted several Classic Car sales outfits today and they all say this "Clone" is worth almost twice the asking price so it looks like I may go ahead and buy it........gonna try to pick it up next week!!:beer:

It all depends on how well it's done. Some things you can see, others not. There are some really good car builders out there, and many more hacks.

Which one is he?

Marauderjack
01-15-2016, 03:30 PM
He's done about a dozen cars for other folks and he did this one for him to keep!!:bows:

Life dealt him an enormous blow and after 5 years he needs the money more than the car!!:(

I saw all the restoration photos and YES he did it well and he is NOT a "hack"!!:beer:

lifespeed
01-15-2016, 04:03 PM
I saw all the restoration photos and YES he did it well and he is NOT a "hack"!!:beer:

Good find. Go buy it!

WhatsUpDOHC
01-15-2016, 04:31 PM
Awesome, Jack!

I hope that you are able to complete the deal.

1Marauder
01-15-2016, 07:55 PM
He's done about a dozen cars for other folks and he did this one for him to keep!!:bows:

Life dealt him an enormous blow and after 5 years he needs the money more than the car!!:(

See my first post... I am getting "a firm-y" here. I want to come get a ride in this beast, go get a cup of coffee, and see that wicked night sky you photograph.

Marauderjack
01-16-2016, 03:41 AM
Thanks guys!!:D

I got a trailer lined up yesterday and will pick it up Monday at noon!!:beer:

Tentative retrieval will be Tuesday!!:banana2:

Stay tuned!!:burnout:

Marauderjack
01-16-2016, 04:18 AM

He just had them made up out of vinyl tape since it's a 520 Stroker and not 440 now!!;)

Marauderjack
01-16-2016, 04:21 AM
Here are a few more photos!!:beer:

WhatsUpDOHC
01-16-2016, 04:50 AM
PISTOL GRIP!!!!!![emoji482] [emoji482] [emoji482] [emoji482] [emoji482] [emoji482]

Need some burnout videos Jack!

Marauderjack
01-16-2016, 07:39 AM
PISTOL GRIP!!!!!![emoji482] [emoji482] [emoji482] [emoji482] [emoji482] [emoji482]

Need some burnout videos Jack!

Gotta get it home first....then we'll see what happens!!:beer::burnout:

Marauderjack
01-31-2016, 04:13 AM
I passed on it......looooong story but in the end it was really BAD!!:argue::mad2::(

WhatsUpDOHC
01-31-2016, 07:58 AM
I passed on it......looooong story but in the end it was really BAD!!:argue::mad2::(
Dang, Jack.[emoji22]

lifespeed
01-31-2016, 09:05 AM
It all depends on how well it's done. Some things you can see, others not. There are some really good car builders out there, and many more hacks.

Which one is he?

Too bad it didn't work out, it was very pretty. Care to share what was wrong?

Marauderjack
01-31-2016, 10:56 AM
Too bad it didn't work out, it was very pretty. Care to share what was wrong?

Well.....here we go.........the first time I saw it was in the dim light of the COLD garage and it wouldn't start.....dead battery plus I couldn't really see the body...partially covered!! Photos ALWAYS make things look better too!!:cool:

I had relied on his honesty and him being a "Car Guy" so I asked how radical the motor was......did it have good street manners?? He said a BIG YES....anyone could drive it!!

When he drove it down the hill and to the parking lot where we were it was running pretty rough, smoking a good bit and smelled rich!!:confused: When I got in the passenger side the first things I saw were the right fender looked hail damaged, the interior was missing several trim pieces and the console was wide open......DAYLIGHT reveals a LOT but I actually expected some of this!!;)

He drove it out of the parking lot with it sputtering badly so he gave it some throttle and it took off sputtering wildly like it was misfiring on a couple cylinders......his explanation was it was a "High Horsepower Motor"??:confused: GREAT STREET MANNERS....I thought to myself!!:rolleyes:

Speedo kicked in at about 50 MPH and the whole car was shaking violently (flat spots on the tires?)....not a big deal but the engine was shaking a lot too!!:cool: NOW....when he depressed the clutch to slow down there was a LOT of banging noise under the hood.......I'm not makin' this up folks....it seemed like a NIGHTMARE!!:eek:

We made it back to the truck and trailer and he was gonna open the hood to see what was bangin' around but I told him not to bother......I was not interested in the car......noticing a nice ding in the right door and the driver's side windows don't even meet vertically.....DAMN...what else is wrong with it!!??:shake:

I expect the cam was very high lift with a 2500-6500 power band on top of the apparent misfiring.....UGH!!:(

What a mess......if only he had gotten it started the first trip I wouldn't have wasted an entire day driving 585 miles round trip......this nice "Car Guy" all of a sudden looked like a shyster used car salesman!!:mad2:

Oh yeah......he said the low price of $45,900 was because he knew it needed some work......DUH!!

lifespeed
01-31-2016, 11:10 AM
Yikes! Some things could be as simple as proper tuning. Or it could be far worse, like a rebuild of the motor. You would never be able to know without digging into it to diagnose the issues, long after you've parted with your hard-earned cash.

With stuff like that you just have to assume the worst, no way to know at a glance. Body deficiencies and vibration don't sound good either.

chief455
01-31-2016, 11:34 AM
Well.....here we go.........the first time I saw it was in the dim light of the COLD garage and it wouldn't start.....dead battery plus I couldn't really see the body...partially covered!! Photos ALWAYS make things look better too!!:cool:

I had relied on his honesty and him being a "Car Guy" so I asked how radical the motor was......did it have good street manners?? He said a BIG YES....anyone could drive it!!

When he drove it down the hill and to the parking lot where we were it was running pretty rough, smoking a good bit and smelled rich!!:confused: When I got in the passenger side the first things I saw were the right fender looked hail damaged, the interior was missing several trim pieces and the console was wide open......DAYLIGHT reveals a LOT but I actually expected some of this!!;)

He drove it out of the parking lot with it sputtering badly so he gave it some throttle and it took off sputtering wildly like it was misfiring on a couple cylinders......his explanation was it was a "High Horsepower Motor"??:confused: GREAT STREET MANNERS....I thought to myself!!:rolleyes:

Speedo kicked in at about 50 MPH and the whole car was shaking violently (flat spots on the tires?)....not a big deal but the engine was shaking a lot too!!:cool: NOW....when he depressed the clutch to slow down there was a LOT of banging noise under the hood.......I'm not makin' this up folks....it seemed like a NIGHTMARE!!:eek:

We made it back to the truck and trailer and he was gonna open the hood to see what was bangin' around but I told him not to bother......I was not interested in the car......noticing a nice ding in the right door and the driver's side windows don't even meet vertically.....DAMN...what else is wrong with it!!??:shake:

I expect the cam was very high lift with a 2500-6500 power band on top of the apparent misfiring.....UGH!!:(

What a mess......if only he had gotten it started the first trip I wouldn't have wasted an entire day driving 585 miles round trip......this nice "Car Guy" all of a sudden looked like a shyster used car salesman!!:mad2:

Oh yeah......he said the low price of $45,900 was because he knew it needed some work......DUH!!

Sounds like it was never finished, not built to a high standard, and long term sitting was not good for it.
It's a project car in the $12-15k range to get all those parts at once.
I'd pass very fast, and build my own, or wait for the real DEAL.
too bad you had so waste so much time on mis represented lies.

Marauderjack
02-04-2016, 03:41 PM
Seller emailed me today and said the horrible performance was due to a BLOWN HEAD GASKET!!:(

No telling how much damage it has done inside the engine or how long it's been blown!!:shake:

boatmangc
02-05-2016, 03:18 AM
I went through a similar experience a couple of years ago with a '69 Road Runner Vert.
"original paint unrestored car" A flight to Minneapolis and a 3 hour drive to find a total Bondo POS. I could have strangled the seller, as I am looking at the car showing him where the bond and the overspray was all over the car he still kept swearing it was all original.
I calmly explained just how much $$ I spent coming out to look at what I had hoped was a pristine example he jus acted confused as to why I wasn't interested.

I left before doing something that would have put me in jail.....

After that experience I pay a surveyor to go look and send me detailed pictures and videos.

So far it has saved me on 3 different cars that were described as MUCH better than they were.

Marauderjack
02-05-2016, 03:37 AM
That's really sad Gary.......funny how different people view things!!:shake:

I expected there would be problems with one that sat for years but this was more than I ever want to deal with.......oh well......moving on now and chalkin' it up to experience FWIW!!:cool:

NEXT!!:beer:

martyo
02-05-2016, 05:32 AM
Blame it on Barrett Hackson!!!

chief455
02-06-2016, 05:38 PM
Blame it on Barrett Hackson!!!

^this.
That and 'reality' TV car flipping shows totally tainted the average sellers estimated vehicle worth vs. ACTUAL value.
Rotted, incomplete parts car for thousands of dollars, yeah right.:shake:

Marauderjack
02-07-2016, 04:14 AM
Here is another one I've inquired about but it's in Kelowna, BC.....nice car but.....after what I just went through.......NO WAY!!:shake: