PDA

View Full Version : Funnest thing you've driven?

gpfarrell
05-14-2004, 09:45 AM
Here's a Friday afternoon thread that may echo the man from Hard Hittin' New Britian's thread on "Get out of jail" stories.

What's the funnest thing you've ever driven?

Demo derby car? Mom's wagon when you were 14? Something an SVT dealer loaned you w/out adequate supervision? A skidloader?

I bet this group has had lots of fun behind the wheel over the years or we'd have never found our way into 300+ hp Mercurys. So let's hear it... What's the funnest thing you've ever driven?

TripleTransAm
05-14-2004, 09:55 AM
1990 Toyota Tercel hatchback...

...no WAIT, that was the 'saddest thing I've ever driven'... sorry for the confusion.

(weirdest-looking thing I ever drove: metallic brown 1979 (I think) Buick Century with the sloping rear end... ugly as sin, but someone had done something to that 301 2Bbl that made it an absolute screamer... I know... 301 2Bbl... Canadian versions of carb'ed 70s motors were always stronger than US counterparts, but someone must have either changed the cam or at least seriously offset the stock one... would burnout for blocks on end...)

gpfarrell
05-14-2004, 10:06 AM
Not that you asked... uhh, because I did... but here's mine:

Myers Manx.

That might not tell you much. The Manx was the original VW/Dune Buggy body combination. Most of them were adequately powered by a 48hp VW motor.

In high school, my friend's dad had one and we spent a summer goofing around with it. When we started the VW engine was already long gone; it had been replaced with a 110hp Corvair motor.

Unwilling to leave well enough alone, we yanked that and put in a mildly-tuned 140hp 4-carb Corvair motor. With headers and a few other goodies it was probably in the neighborhood of 155-160 hp.

The "buggy" weighed 1200 empty... maybe 1350 with me in it. Power-to-weight was in the single digits.

It was close enough to street legal that it had plates and insurance, and we drove it everywhere. School, work, streets, woods.

No doors, no roof, no radio. No heater, no airbags, and 4 wheel drums. Sunkist orange with scalding black vinyl "bucket" seats.

If the front-mounted fuel tank was less than 1/2 full I could pick the front end off the ground, move it a few steps, and set it back down. Generally, that's how we parallel parked it. Put the bum against the curb, climb out, and carry the front of the car to edge of the street. 100% crowd pleaser.

The front-end was so light that a bit too much throttle canceled any steering input. Can't say it did wheelies, but wouldn't bet a nickel against it.

Thump-thump stereos were just coming out then... 6 cylinders barking through headers could drown out any of them.

The transaxle was still stock VW stuff, designed for 1/3 the hp we were feeding it. We had strict orders to never get it wide open in 1st & 2nd or we'd blow it up.

I had it wide open twice in the low gears; the first time when we learned the cartoon-esque buggy was quicker to 60mph than a 1987 Mustang GT.

The other time was on an I-279 onramp. The carbs had been giving us fits for weeks & I finally had all 4 right. I lit into it and red-lined all 4 gears... at the end of the ramp I looked at the old VW speedo in the dash and the needle was pointing to 6 o'clock... "MPH". I remembered the front-suspension was stock 1959 Beetle. I let compression pull me back down from 95 mph.

After an hour, I was generally exhausted. Buggy's short-shifter would often jump out of 2nd gear. The brakes would randomly throw you in different directions. The gas guage never worked... a victim of the 6-volt/12-volt conversion, so you had to take the cap off and stick a stick in to see what was left... gee, wonder how those carbs were always filling up with dirt?

But who cares, it remains the Funnest vehicle I've ever driven.

TripleTransAm
05-14-2004, 10:17 AM
FUNNEST things I've driven....

I currently own them, actually.

MAD-3R
05-14-2004, 10:28 AM
I all honesty, I would have to say, Pallet Jack.

I got good with them, and would ride them like skateboards. Crank the handle left and rigth, and lean out as you do, and you'll build up some serous momentum. Just pry thay the floor is smooth, otherwise you go Butt over teakettle onto the ground.

Slowpoke
05-14-2004, 10:30 AM
The funnest thing I ever drove was a Cessna 172...... right through a fence!!

There is nothing like the feeling of rotating the yoke and feeling yourself lift off the ground. My brief flight training ended after I crashed on landing at Midway Airport in the early 90's. My wife forbid me from taking my final flight certification...

I survived, but the plane did not.

2003 MIB
05-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Myers Manx.

Elvis drove one in "Live a Little, Love a Little"...Your Manx was even cooler.

Dr Caleb
05-14-2004, 10:57 AM
Funny "ha ha" or funny "is anyone watching"?

Funny Ha ha: Nash Metropolitan. I felt like Mr Magoo.

Funny is anyone watching: I drove a brand new <a href='http://www.jlg.com/telehandlers/product.asp?intBID=13'>JLG</a> telehandler into the side of a minivan a couple weeks ago. I was taking it from our office to another location of ours down the street. Some guy pulled out of another business in a panel van without looking. Did I mention the JLG weighs 38,000 pounds and is almost entirely 3/4" steel? Didn't even scratch the lift, almost tore the side off the van :)

jerrym3
05-14-2004, 11:07 AM
overall vehicle" US Army tank.

As a staff sarge in a reserve unit in the mid-60s assigned to the motorpool, during one summer camp, I asked my regular Army counterpart if I could drive one of the tanks.

He took me out to the driving range, I sat down in the front, raised the seat (a Dukakis moment), put the gearshift in D, (P-R-N-D-L) and gave it the gas. Felt like an eternity before hitting the gas and getting this monster to move.

When you put the gearshift in N and turn the wheel, it causes one track to go "forward" and the other "backward". Allows you to spin on the tank's axis. Wild.

non vehicle: airplane (don't remember what type)

Fellow that used to work for me in Morristrown, NJ asked me if I wanted to go for a ride at lunchtime. I said OK, figuring we were going out to lunch somewhere. We proceeded to the Morristown airport where, as a member of a club, he was allowed to borrow the club's plane.

So, off we went into the wild blue yonder. After about 20 minutes, he says, "go ahead and take control". Unbelievable.

automobile: one of the first Datsun's (now Nissan) sent to the USA for sale

In 1962, I worked in an autobody shop that had a Datsun dealership up front. One rainy evening, four of us went down to the Elizabeth seaport and three of us were given new Datsun sedans to drive back to the dealership.

Four speed on the column; car was ugly as sin.

Reason it sticks with me is that coming home on the Jersey Turnpike in the dark and in the rain, the lights and wipers went dead. Still had to keep going. From that day on, I've hated Japanese cars.

honorable mention: tow truck

The bodyshop/dealership also had the AAA franchise for the area. The regular tow truck driver couldn't make it in during one snowstorm, so the boss gave me the keys and I did that night's towing.

Well, I am not going to bore you with the damage I inflicted on the cars I towed that night, but it was a learning experience.

PS: never got the keys again.

Also owned a Harley at one time, someone stole it, and I nearly got arrested, but that's a whole 'nuther story.

teamrope
05-14-2004, 11:10 AM
That would be a Toyota Van I rented for a weekend in Germany with a 5 speed column shift.

A little weird, but worked better than I thought it would.

jaywish
05-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Hard one to answer, but I'd have to say for overall fun my Opel GT.

You always felt every MPH you were doing & I always drove it as fast as I could. Wind out that 4speed all the time.

Plus those retractable bug eye headlights were a goof.

I just can't always drive the Marauder as hard as it can be driven and expect to keep my license, insurance, health, etc.

gpfarrell
05-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Funny "ha ha" or funny "is anyone watching"?

Funny Ha ha: Nash Metropolitan. I felt like Mr Magoo.

Funny is anyone watching: I drove a brand new <a href='http://www.jlg.com/telehandlers/product.asp?intBID=13'>JLG</a> telehandler into the side of a minivan a couple weeks ago. I was taking it from our office to another location of ours down the street. Some guy pulled out of another business in a panel van without looking. Did I mention the JLG weighs 38,000 pounds and is almost entirely 3/4" steel? Didn't even scratch the lift, almost tore the side off the van :)

I was thinking Fun as in FUN.

Of all the things you've ever driven... what was the most fun... guaranteed Grin-mobile? Can't wait to get out of work/don't care where I go/Just let me drive FUN.

woaface
05-14-2004, 11:56 AM
Infiniti G35 4 door:
dark blue on black with 18inch rims
really illegal tints
and an areo package with spoiler.

So far that's the best handling/going/stopping/responsive car I've driven...everything acted the second you asked it too...and the only time that was bad were in the brakes...just too active.

It's basically a 4-door 350Z with a tad less power (260horses vs. the Zcar 287)

http://www.infiniti.com/m/cma/i/acc/acc_g35_aerodynamic.jpg

TripleTransAm
05-14-2004, 12:09 PM
Infiniti G35 4 door:
dark blue on black with 18inch rims
really illegal tints
and an areo package with spoiler.

So far that's the best handling/going/stopping/responsive car I've driven...everything acted the second you asked it too...and the only time that was bad were in the brakes...just too active.

But that exhaust note.... I know it's subjective, but.... but.... :eek: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Dr Caleb
05-14-2004, 12:26 PM

Ahhhhh! Gotcha! (but ramming that minivan was FUN :evil grin: )

Then I'd have to say it's a toss up between an Argo, a Kawasaki 'Mule', a Bombardier Ski-Doo or a Polaris Centurion 5000 (snow sled).

The <a href='http://www.argoatv.com/products/product.asp?MID=15'>Argo</a> is an 8 wheeled 'boat' that will go just about anywhere. It floats, it's light so it will drive on muskeg without sinking, and it's got enough room to fit a moose. It's slightly faster than walking cutlines, and much faster than swimming through lakes.

The Ski-doo is about the same speed, but will cover even deep snow and can pull another sled with a moose in it. Nethier are very fast, but whenever I'm on one, I'm usually hunting - so that the smile factor.

The Polaris is the only Sled that when I gunned the throttle, it jumped up and flipped over backward. It could do highway speeds over soft snow, and was generally a hoot to drive.

The 'Mule' is like a quad, but with 6 wheels, a small (3' X 3') bed that can carry a few hundred kilos, and mainly used for work. I drive one around the yard here at work, and it's got some oomph. Handy around the yard too. (I've got 5 acres).

merc406
05-14-2004, 12:31 PM
A 72 Karman Ghia I bought at a police auction fo 50 bucks. Frt end was cut off, so I built a sloping Can Am style frt end for it. She'd do a hundred no problem with no hands on the s/wheel for miles, as long as the road was straight. MPG was great, like around 45.

djcwardog
05-14-2004, 01:30 PM
1982 Chevy Citation X-11

Why? Because a friend and I were allowed to drive one off a new car lot for a test drive. What a drive that was! Needless to say, the salesman did not come with us. We put that car through its paces and returned it with hot brakes (even after driving through a small snowbank in a shopping center to try to cool them down) and uncontrollable laughter! We finally grew up - years later! What fun that was... I am laughing right now just remembering this trip!

woaface
05-14-2004, 01:35 PM
But that exhaust note.... I know it's subjective, but.... but.... :eek: :puke: :puke: :puke:
It was a little on the INDY side...not a buzz, not a growl, more of a bowl, or a gruzz...you know like formula one or something...

MERCMAN
05-14-2004, 01:38 PM
1973 Oldsmobile 98 Hearse. Bought it for $350. drove it for 4 yrs, sold it for $400. Still had the casket rollers, curtains and a Rocket 455 engine. Great car to take to The Indy 500. The car rode like a dream. The only thing that really bothered me was why it had a slide window between the driver compartment and the back. :lol:

Bluerauder
05-14-2004, 05:01 PM
Here's a Friday afternoon thread that may echo the man from Hard Hittin' New Britian's thread on "Get out of jail" stories.

What's the funnest thing you've ever driven? "...snip...". So let's hear it... What's the funnest thing you've ever driven?

Not sure that "funnest" is a real word; but the most interesting things that I have driven are:
1. M48A5 Main Battle Tank (the heaviest on a 4 foot jump)
2. SeaRay 260 (the absolute funnest)
3. Caterpillar D7 Bulldozer (the most powerful)
4. Westinghouse HA440 Road Grader (most complicated/busy)
5. Hough HC90 2.5 Yard Scoop Loader (most bouncy)

I never was a heavy equipment operator; but I did get to drive 'em around some. Gave me lots of respect for the job that these guys do on the job. Looks easy .... it ain't !!!!

deerejoe
05-14-2004, 05:32 PM

Myers Manx.

That might not tell you much. The Manx was the original VW/Dune Buggy body combination. Most of them were adequately powered by a 48hp VW motor.

In high school, my friend's dad had one and we spent a summer goofing around with it. When we started the VW engine was already long gone; it had been replaced with a 110hp Corvair motor.

Unwilling to leave well enough alone, we yanked that and put in a mildly-tuned 140hp 4-carb Corvair motor. With headers and a few other goodies it was probably in the neighborhood of 155-160 hp.

The "buggy" weighed 1200 empty... maybe 1350 with me in it. Power-to-weight was in the single digits.

It was close enough to street legal that it had plates and insurance, and we drove it everywhere. School, work, streets, woods.

No doors, no roof, no radio. No heater, no airbags, and 4 wheel drums. Sunkist orange with scalding black vinyl "bucket" seats.

If the front-mounted fuel tank was less than 1/2 full I could pick the front end off the ground, move it a few steps, and set it back down. Generally, that's how we parallel parked it. Put the bum against the curb, climb out, and carry the front of the car to edge of the street. 100% crowd pleaser.

The front-end was so light that a bit too much throttle canceled any steering input. Can't say it did wheelies, but wouldn't bet a nickel against it.

Thump-thump stereos were just coming out then... 6 cylinders barking through headers could drown out any of them.

The transaxle was still stock VW stuff, designed for 1/3 the hp we were feeding it. We had strict orders to never get it wide open in 1st & 2nd or we'd blow it up.

I had it wide open twice in the low gears; the first time when we learned the cartoon-esque buggy was quicker to 60mph than a 1987 Mustang GT.

The other time was on an I-279 onramp. The carbs had been giving us fits for weeks & I finally had all 4 right. I lit into it and red-lined all 4 gears... at the end of the ramp I looked at the old VW speedo in the dash and the needle was pointing to 6 o'clock... "MPH". I remembered the front-suspension was stock 1959 Beetle. I let compression pull me back down from 95 mph.

After an hour, I was generally exhausted. Buggy's short-shifter would often jump out of 2nd gear. The brakes would randomly throw you in different directions. The gas guage never worked... a victim of the 6-volt/12-volt conversion, so you had to take the cap off and stick a stick in to see what was left... gee, wonder how those carbs were always filling up with dirt?

But who cares, it remains the Funnest vehicle I've ever driven.

xlt read...I enjoyed it!!

deerejoe
05-14-2004, 05:46 PM
1973 Oldsmobile 98 Hearse. Bought it for $350. drove it for 4 yrs, sold it for $400. Still had the casket rollers, curtains and a Rocket 455 engine. Great car to take to The Indy 500. The car rode like a dream. The only thing that really bothered me was why it had a slide window between the driver compartment and the back. :lol:

LOL...and scarey!!

Silver_04
05-14-2004, 06:09 PM
1. H1 Hummer. I owned the road. I wouldn't want to own this vehicle but it sure was cool to drive for a day. Diesel power baby.
2. An old AC Delco Ken Schrader Busch Grand National car. That would be a good car to own.
3. Corvette Z06. A race car for the streets.

marauder307
05-14-2004, 06:41 PM
I dunno about the funniest vehicle I've ever driven, but I can tell you the funniest thing I've ever done with a car...

Summer, 1988. I'm working at Epps Aircraft in Montgomery, AL, as the carwash guy for their Thrifty franchise. I get done with all the cars needing service by lunchtime one day; bossman calls me back to his office.

"See that white 'Vette sitting in the main hangar?" I have; belongs to the wife of the owner. Fortunately for me (as you'll all see) neither of 'em's in town this particular day. Boss flips me the keys. "Take it back to the washrack and clean it up. She'll be coming to pick it up for a drive today." I dutifully head out to the car, jump in, and am immediately covered in dog hair. Did I mention that Bosslady kept a toy poodle? Those !@#$$#! things are what's left over after they use enough genetic material to make a REAL dog...AND they shed like crazy...

Anyway, back to the washrack I go, enjoying life anyway despite the !@#$ dog hair cloud wafting around my head because, after all...IT'S A VETTE! And a brand new one at that...back in '88, I didn't even have a car until later that summer...pull into the rack, spend easily 20 minutes (probably longer!) vacuuming out dog hair. Took another 30 minutes washing the outside, because she'd kept it inside the open hangar, and the pigeons had decided that the white paint made the perfect bombing range...Finally got it done, and began to back out.

Here's the funny part...sort of.

I guess those gas pedal linkage springs on the 'Vettes in '88 were pretty stiff. I backed it out, got lined up with the gate to leave, put it in drive (it was an auto), and then it just sat there. Engine or TC or something didn't have quite enough balls to idle it out in gear. So I tried easing the gas a little to encourage it along. Nothing. Gas didn't budge. Tried easing a little more. Still nothing. This goes on for about 45 seconds, then I got frustrated with it (I was only 17 at the time...frustration was a daily occurance), and nailed the pedal.

Sure am glad the company didn't have cameras back on the washrack. The back end broke loose, I launched through the (open) gate at something around Warp 6, did 2 360's and came to a stop with the nose pointed more or less where I wanted to go. I remember thinking that it was odd that there wasn't any water left on the car...guess the heat friction musta dried it. Anyway, I (VERY sheepishly) drove it back up to the main office, parked it, and slunk back inside hoping nobody saw me. I lucked out...nobody did. And until this point, I never told anybody...

Epps's Montgomery operation went out of business about 3-4 years later.

dwasson
05-14-2004, 07:27 PM
The funnest car I ever owned was a 69 Fiat 850 Spyder. It was a bright yellow convertable with a top made from al-dente pasta, very flimsy. Fiat was an acronym for Feeble Italian Attempt at Technology. It was junk, my dad called it the Colliseum because it was a roman ruin.

It taught me good habits. I learned how to carry speed through a turn so that I wouldn't have to use the brakes. It didn't really accelerate, it kind of gained momentum. It was so underpowered that you had to be smooth to drive fast.

All that meant was that you cornered faster. I could afford to fill it up on the money I made as a busboy. It was cute and the girls liked it. I think it might have been the only car that ever got me laid.

The funnest car I ever drove was a Caterham Seven. This is a replica of a Lotus Seven. The one I drove had a 2 liter Toyota engine with over 160 HP and weighed less than 1600 pounds. It changed lanes if you looked at your copilot and stuck to the road like a strip of paint. It is the only car I drove that would pull over .95 Gs on a skidpad. I tried to do a quick lane change in a parking lot and scared myself to death. Driving that car was the most fun I ever had with my pants on.

UAW 588
05-14-2004, 07:38 PM
My BIG WHEEL when I was 5, then upgraded to a GREEN MACHINE at 7 years of age. :lol:

RoyLPita
05-14-2004, 07:55 PM
so much to choose from. Saddest car I drove was an AMC Spirit with a severe rod knock.
And for vehicles that put a grin on my face, there are quite a few. I did drive an '04 Z06 Vette and had a chance to flog it with a "professional driver". My '95 GTS was fun too. I test drove it with 4 miles, Flogged it for another 7, then found it a year later with 19k and bought it. Before that I test drove numerous 5.0 Mustangs on various used car lots. One was a stock '88 GT hatchback with an automatic. It also had very dry rotted tires. These just spun like crazy. The salesman took it to a place just for this and we had a field day. I did 90 MPH once in a '95 Miata that I got for a dealer trade. Also, any vehicle that can chirp 2nd gear (my friend's 89 Formula 350 t-top, my old '87 LSC, my '95 GTS, and at times, my '92 GM LS HPP).

Just my .02 and then some.

CRUZTAKER
05-14-2004, 08:56 PM
The inherited DIXON zero turn riding mower with tank like steering mechanism.....had it two weeks and traded it for a scag. I turfed the the lawn, hit a tree, and rolled it near the fire pit. A $3500 pos!

woaface
05-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Fiat was an acronym for Feeble Italian Attempt at Technology.
Fix It Again Tony:up:

teamrope
05-14-2004, 10:25 PM

Of all the things you've ever driven... what was the most fun... guaranteed Grin-mobile? Can't wait to get out of work/don't care where I go/Just let me drive FUN.
OH! in that case it's a toss up between the MM & my 69 Chevelle. :D

Patrick
05-15-2004, 12:35 AM
M1A1 ABRAMS BATTLE TANK at Ft Knox during AT. What a Rush :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bluerauder
05-15-2004, 06:57 AM
M1A1 ABRAMS BATTLE TANK at Ft Knox during AT. What a Rush :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
After considering this "funnest vehicle" question overnight --- I forgot about one of the most used and underrated vehicles that I ever drove ----

The M151A1 Truck, Utility 1/4 ton (commonly known as the "Jeep"). With the canvas pulled off and the windshield dropped down in the field, this was the ultimate off-road, trail vehicle. Great fun and nearly indestructible. However, on-road it was quite unstable at higher speeds and was involved in numerous tragic rollovers. When the HMMWV (The Hummer) was introduced to the US Army, the older jeeps were cut into quarters and discarded. They didn't want them to be sold to the general public. I would have loved to get ahold of one of the "old Jeeps" just for grins. I guess most of them now have been snatched up by movie studios. That's a shame --- but probably the best move from a safety standpoint.

So, the trusty military "Jeep" gets my vote as the funnest.

Patrick
05-15-2004, 11:45 AM
After considering this "funnest vehicle" question overnight --- I forgot about one of the most used and underrated vehicles that I ever drove ----

The M151A1 Truck, Utility 1/4 ton (commonly known as the "Jeep"). With the canvas pulled off and the windshield dropped down in the field, this was the ultimate off-road, trail vehicle. Great fun and nearly indestructible. However, on-road it was quite unstable at higher speeds and was involved in numerous tragic rollovers. When the HMMWV (The Hummer) was introduced to the US Army, the older jeeps were cut into quarters and discarded. They didn't want them to be sold to the general public. I would have loved to get ahold of one of the "old Jeeps" just for grins. I guess most of them now have been snatched up by movie studios. That's a shame --- but probably the best move from a safety standpoint.

So, the trusty military "Jeep" gets my vote as the funnest.

:bows: :bows: :bows:

Billatpro
05-15-2004, 01:16 PM

Myers Manx.

The Manx was the original VW/Dune Buggy body combination. Most of them were adequately powered by a 48hp VW motor.

The transaxle was still stock VW stuff, designed for 1/3 the hp we were feeding it.

Oh yes, we built one of these when I was living in Aurora, mine was "Crestliner" metal flake red. We bolted in the 180 HP Turbo motor, after buying the trick super tuff ring gear and shim pack from VW trends(you had to flip the ring gear over in the VW trans to make it rotate in the right directon for the Corvair motor) I shucked every tooth off the new ring gear!
thats when We adapted the corvair 4 sp transaxel, it was the snakyest car I ever drove, you never knew which direction it go when you stood on it! this one would pull the front end off the ground with ease and god was it fast for 200 feet! then it got just too scary to stay in it. :lol:

Hack Goby
05-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Funnyest and most fun I had with a car was my 1974 AMC Matador(Bro-ham) with the up and down opera window and sliding Vinyl sunroof.Being it was a Matador was funny enough but the fun part was that it had a 401 4bb,duals and a few other performance tricks.People would laugh at me until I blew there doors off.I found out not long ago on the AMC website that there was less than 400 made with 401`s in 1974.Damn!

TripleTransAm
05-15-2004, 06:47 PM
It was a little on the INDY side...not a buzz, not a growl, more of a bowl, or a gruzz...you know like formula one or something...

I'd call it more of a hoarse moan...
best way I can describe it is the sound your best friend makes after a hard night of partying where he's hoarse from yelling and alcohol and whooping it up, and he's moaning over a fair size porcelain fixture calling for Ralph and Huey.

Just hearing those cars go by my house makes me want to blow pasta...

deerejoe
05-15-2004, 06:52 PM
most fun in a vehicle...the Nash Sportsman or upside down bath tub on wheels!!

Take it to your favorite drive-in movie theater with a fun loving girl and put ALL the seats down. Best automotive 'play pen' ever made!!

Wish I could remember the movies.......I just can't forget that car!!

Bluerauder
05-15-2004, 07:16 PM

Take it to your favorite drive-in movie theater with a fun loving girl and put ALL the seats down. Best automotive 'play pen' ever made!!

I recall the Neopolitan. Can't say that I remember the Sportsman. Too bad that "Drive-In Movies" are fading fast. Not many left -- only 2 in Virginia, I think.

Automotive play pen? ... Sportsman? .... Yeah, that counts!!!!

dwasson
05-15-2004, 07:28 PM

When I met my wife she was driving a 72 AMC Ambassador. It had the same fold down seats. Drive in movies on a fall night would result in steamy windows. I think that the seats kept AMC in business 20 years after they should have gone under.

Thomas C Potter
05-15-2004, 08:26 PM
My buddy's 70 GS 455 with 550 dyno'd HP. And a M22 4 speed to boot!! Awesome!!

JamesHecker
05-15-2004, 09:05 PM
My funnest car... or was it the oddest... was my 1965 American Motors Marlin. Weird looking, but actually a prettyh cool car for it's day. Had the 350 V8 and the reclining seats. Being 17, I thought I was stylin' !

JamesHecker
05-15-2004, 09:10 PM
Second place for me would be my 1955 Buick Century. Truely a Tank!

rookie1
05-16-2004, 01:19 AM
Zacks MM !!

BUCKWHEAT
05-16-2004, 02:09 PM

What's the funnest thing you've ever driven?

Demo derby car? Mom's wagon when you were 14? Something an SVT dealer loaned you w/out adequate supervision? A skidloader?

I bet this group has had lots of fun behind the wheel over the years or we'd have never found our way into 300+ hp Mercurys. So let's hear it... What's the funnest thing you've ever driven?

My wife's 1967 Mustang GTA convertible. A friend owned and showed the car. One day he was welding up some rust in the passenger torque box, when he had an urge for a beer and a sandwich. Coming back out of his house, he was greeted with 30 feet of flame going into the trees in his front yard. Burned the entire car from tire center to tire center. I bought the salvage for my lovely bride and trailered this molton lump of doo-doo home. Tops of the new tires were melted, but not blown. Dash was melted droopy. Glass was all gone. Steering wheel was the thin center wire and the shifter was a bloody stump. I hot wired the motor, fired it up, sat on a milk carton and drove it around the block to show the neighbors. That was 1982. Today the wife & I drove it to church. Just couldn't part with it.