PDA

View Full Version : My X-Mas Trip

piglet
01-01-2003, 09:52 AM
Gents,

Thought I would let you know about my 2050 mile X-mas trip in the Marauder. Car odometer was exactly 3000 miles when we departed. The day we left I took my Marauder in for an oil change.

My bride and I left Eastern NC and went to Pensacola FL for X-mas. Here is a break down of mileage, routing and my general thoughts.

Day One. Eastern NC to Beaufort SC. Miles 370, Driving time 5 hours non-stop. Went on I-40 to I-95. We left at 6pm and arrived at 11pm. Stayed over night at MCAS Beaufort for a whopping $18.

Day Two. The next morning we went by MCRD Parris Island (15 minutes away) so I could get some uniform items. Beaufort SC to Pensacola FL. Miles 555, driving time 8 hours, two stops. Went I-95 to I-10. We left at 830am and arrived 8 hours later. Had two straight hours of a huge down pour to drive through. Rain was so bad could not see the car ahead of you, I had my stock windshield wipers on the car. They worked ok.

Total trip 925 miles and we stayed for five days.

Return day. Pensacola to Eastern NC. 800 miles, Driving time 12 hours, two stops. Went I-65 to I-85 to I-20 to I-95 to I-40. Lots of "I's"
Let at 5am and arrive 12 hours later.

Total mileage on the trip 2050. When I pulled back into the garage my odometer read 5050.

Here is my impressions of my travels:

1. The car is comfortable. I give it an (8) out of (10). My biggest complaint is the lack of upper back and neck support in the seats. From my shoulder blades up there is no support. I used one of those airline neck rolls and it helped a little. Our other car is an '01 Volvo XC. Volvo has the most comfortable seats in the world IMO.

2. Car miles per gallon. Averaged around 24 miles per gallon at 75- 80 mph.

3. Gas prices $1.69 on average.

4. Power and performance. (10) out of (10). There is always some jack-a$$ in the left lane who will not move over. So you just blow his doors off in the right lane. Ran with a pack for around 30 minutes at 100 mph. The car loved it.

5. Different states drivers view the Marauder differently. For example. Alabama and Georgia drives never moved over for me or approached the car with caution when passing. SC and NC drivers were very cautious of my car. I only saw one other Marauder and that was on I-10 west of Tallahassee opposite direction.

6. Overall I give the Marauder a (9) out of (10) for road trips. My (10) out of (10) would go to my Tahoe I owned a few years back. I know, I know a stinking Chevy.

Does anyone else have a trip report?

LincMercLover
01-01-2003, 12:55 PM
Hey piggie! What's up? Wondering where you went!

JAL
01-01-2003, 01:05 PM
A stinking Chevy you say Sir?

In all seriousness, look out for a local police dept. in NC that uses real Impala SS'. You'd never know it.

Glad to see you went to visit my university.

Semper Fi sir!

Jeff
Former Corporal U.S.M.C. 1st Mar Div 1996-2000

SergntMac
01-01-2003, 02:05 PM
Thanks a bunch, Pig, for collecting and sharing the details. One of the reasons I love this board, is that when a guy's got a problem, someone will help out with the troubleshooting, and sometimes that means getting an MM on the street. That's friendship, and loyalty.

Thanks again, Pig.

Billatpro
01-01-2003, 02:37 PM
That was a great story Piglet, The milage was great and as for how drivers take the MM, here in MN. it's mix of "WFIT" to you" F*****g cops will do anything to write a ticket".

Last Saterday as I charged down the ON ramp and pulled hard to about 80 I had to let up for traffice ahead of me, backed off to 65 and followed traffice for about a half mile when the guy in front pulled over to the side of road, I pulled over behind him thinking he had a car problem. When I got out and walked up to his car he rolled down his window to ask me what the problem was and that hadent been speeding! I smiled and appoligized and told him I just thought he had car trouble, we both laughed and he climed out to come take a look at the MM.

JAL
01-01-2003, 03:48 PM
Now that is Funny!

Jeff

piglet
01-01-2003, 04:12 PM
Gents,

Thanks for the reply's. My bride and I had a wonderful time riding in the Marauder for two days.

Today we washed it twice with Zaino wash and I waxed it 4 times. It was very dirty from the trip. However it cleaned up really quick. I am sold on Zaino. It is wonderful stuff. Hope you all are enjoying the first day of 2003. It will take a few days to get used to putting 2003 and not 2002.