PDA

View Full Version : Paying Respects to Homeless Vietnam Vet

CWright
02-11-2016, 08:56 PM
A Vietnam veteran who received the Purple Heart died without a home or any close relatives, but after friends arranged for a proper burial, some 200 people paid their respects at his funeral in Kansas Thursday.

Many who attended were strangers and fellow vets who learned his story after he died.

Eton Gilmore spent most of his days in an abandoned house with no gas or electricity in Kansas City, Mo., Fox 4 reports.*He drove a taxi after the war but eventually started living in his car or in abandoned homes, the station adds.

Maryannah Mosley, a fellow disabled veteran, said she occasionally would stop by with a cup of coffee. Gilmore died on Jan. 20 at the age of 67.
Mosley said she moved her friend's remains to a funeral home after contacting a worker at the city morgue. "He said, 'We were really getting scared. Nobody has come forward for him,'" she added.

The Department of Veterans Affairs then helped arrange the funeral at Leavenworth National Cemetery. "He deserves, number one, a proper burial and the military to acknowledge his service and that would probably make him very happy," Mosley said.

She showed Fox 4 a boombox that he'd always use, and said she planned to bring it with her to the funeral.

After they learned about the service, strangers traveled from*across two states to attend. They included bikers from the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars and Patriot Guard*Riders.

Two Chinook helicopters flew over the funeral, which included a*traditional rifle salute, taps and a flag-folding ceremony.

Hundreds of people, including strangers, attend funeral for homeless Army vet
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/11/hundreds-people-including-strangers-attend-funeral-for-homeless-army-vet.html

1Marauder
02-11-2016, 09:13 PM
THANK YOU FOR POSTING.

Sad to hear of the loss, and glad there was great support for this hero at the end.

I just wish our great country could find a better way to support our heroes with better healthcare, job re-entry, and life services while they are alive.

They've earned it! They deserve it. We need to find a way to support them.

Not trying to be political at all. My wife's uncle's name is on the wall.

sailsmen
02-11-2016, 09:27 PM
When a friend of mine returned from Vietnam their plane landed in California. They got off the plane and were walking to the buses with elbows swinging.

Where they were greeted by a gauntlet of people who spat on them, kicked them and hit them with signs. They all made it on the buses a few were blooded.

They then pull up to their hotel to a few thousand more "greeters". They stay on the buses trying to figure out what to do. There are only a few pollice, not enough to control the "greeters".

Then they hear the Thunder, louder and louder. The Hell's Angels arrive and rev their engines to disperse the ''greeters".

But the crowd of "greeters" does not move, so the Hells Angels starts mowing them down. At this point the "greeters" run, run and run!

The police do nothing.

They then disembark off the buses to the hotel rooms.

My friends name is Ken and he likes the Hells Angels.

Turbov6Bryan
02-11-2016, 09:31 PM
Such a sad story when I watched it on the news.

Upsetting more since it happened 10 miles away :(

The VA hospital is right around the corner from him, I wished someone there could have helped him out when he needed it, maybe they were

http://fox4kc.com/2016/02/11/hundreds-gather-to-bid-farewell-to-kc-veteran-they-never-met-but-still-respect-and-admire/

MOTOWN
02-11-2016, 09:39 PM
Truly sad to know this goes on in this country, this is where our focus as Americans should be as opposed to hating each other.

sailsmen
02-11-2016, 09:50 PM
Probably the best way Mr. Gilmore could have been helped is while he was still in the service.

Upon his return from Vietnam I hope he didn't have to go through a gauntlet of "greeters" like my friend Ken did.

daddyusmaximus
02-11-2016, 10:44 PM
Sad. I'm glad someone stepped up.

Rest brother.

Bradley G
02-12-2016, 03:05 AM
Thank you for your courageous service , rest in eternal peace knowing you are appreciated and loved.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

fastblackmerc
02-12-2016, 05:46 AM
It's a shame that for many vets it comes to this...........

We should be treating our veterans much much better than this.

May he rest in peace.

Vets Lives Matter!

2,4shofast
02-12-2016, 01:02 PM
A very unsettling story for sure and one that is often repeated. The majority of our Vets from Vietnam have never been told thank you for their service and sacrifices that were made. I always do every thing I can to thank our Veterans every chance I get. If you really want to be humbled, visit a local Veterans Home and hang out for a few hours. They really love the company and the stories are incredible.

"Thank you", has more power than you could ever imagine.:flag: