PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Rocker Panels

ledzilla
02-29-2016, 12:05 PM
The rocker panels on my Buick Century have gotten badly rusted, and have a tendency to attack the backs of peoples' legs when trying to exit the vehicle. I don't think it's worth the effort and money to replace them at this time, but I was wondering if anyone knows a of a good way to cover them up so that I could stop worrying about them injuring my friends and family.

tbone
02-29-2016, 01:06 PM
On my sons 02 Camry, we removed all the loose metal and rust, prepped the metal with rust inhibitor and sprayed expanding foam in the cavities. Once it dried, we knocked off the excess foam and then covered it with bondo. The foam makes a great backer and has lots of nooks and crannies to grab the bondo. After that we sanded it down and sprayed it with undercoating. You could prime and paint it, but the Camry was being prepped for a quick sale on Craigslist, so we didn't care. It actually looked pretty good. The buyer didn't say a word about it, and we definitely got more money for it than we otherwise would have.

ledzilla
02-29-2016, 01:34 PM
Is the foam and bondo strong enough to allow the car to be lifted safely?

tbone
02-29-2016, 01:36 PM
Well you don't lift it on the rockers. If the lift points are rusted out then you have serious problems that no bondo is going to solve.

This is just a band aid to solve the issues you presented. It will rust again, and it will probably crack some. But it's better than the alternative.

tbone
02-29-2016, 01:39 PM
You could bend sheet metal and rivet it on. A lot of work.

ledzilla
02-29-2016, 01:41 PM
Personally, I don't lift under the rockers, but the shop lifts look like they do, which is why I asked.

Either way, I'm more interested in having the car in a condition that reduces the chances of slicing open someone's calf. If it starts rusting again, no big deal. I just don't want all these pieces of rusted metal sticking out from under the doors.

tbone
02-29-2016, 01:47 PM
The shops lift it without the slotted hockey puck inserts which crushes the sheet metal pinch welds. That's why there is a slot in the factory jack. Happens all the time. I don't think anyone gets trained on how to lift a car in school, or they don't care.

ledzilla
02-29-2016, 03:48 PM
I'll try to post some pictures tonight of hw bad it looks, so you can see what I'm dealing with. One side is better than the other, but for the most part I just want to get it looking like the rocker panels won't try to cut you and then take your wallet. And I think the lift points are fine, I've just never been able to see where exactly the lifts actually attach on this car. I know where I jack it up, but that's not necessarily the same thing.

RubberCtyRauder
02-29-2016, 06:15 PM
PVC pipe cut in half so you have half a circle and painted black and homemade rocker trim. It's hillbilly fix but sounds like you want cheap

tbone
03-01-2016, 06:59 AM
I'll try to post some pictures tonight of hw bad it looks, so you can see what I'm dealing with. One side is better than the other, but for the most part I just want to get it looking like the rocker panels won't try to cut you and then take your wallet. And I think the lift points are fine, I've just never been able to see where exactly the lifts actually attach on this car. I know where I jack it up, but that's not necessarily the same thing.

You could just bash in the sharp metal with a hammer so it curls over. :up:

ledzilla
03-01-2016, 08:15 AM
Ok, here are the pics. Should be apparent which side is in view for both photos.

RubberCtyRauder
03-01-2016, 08:20 AM
A sawzall, cut it out and bend/hammer down the top edge so it isn't sharp, maybe then cut a piece of rubber fuel line or similiar, slit it lengthwise just big enough around, not like 1/2 inch tubing, and slip it over the edge and use silicone or epoxy to glue it to the edge so it isn't sharp.

tbone
03-01-2016, 08:21 AM
There's not much left. It will be hard for the foam to stay in place. You need a backer of some kind and then bondo over it.

In the meantime, my hammer idea may save someone's leg.

ledzilla
03-01-2016, 08:34 AM
Well, I bent a lot of the pieces under using some large pliers, and that has helped a bit. There's a part of me wanting to get a quote from the nearby auto body shops for replacing them completely. Just hard to justify on a 2001 model with nearly 200K miles on it. Runs great, though, so as long as it keeps running so well I see no reason to get rid of it.

tbone
03-01-2016, 09:13 AM
It doesn't look bad other than that.

How about screwing some wire mesh on and slopping bondo over that?

ledzilla
03-01-2016, 09:38 AM
A sawzall, cut it out and bend/hammer down the top edge so it isn't sharp, maybe then cut a piece of rubber fuel line or similiar, slit it lengthwise just big enough around, not like 1/2 inch tubing, and slip it over the edge and use silicone or epoxy to glue it to the edge so it isn't sharp.

It doesn't look bad other than that.

How about screwing some wire mesh on and slopping bondo over that?

Would maybe some combination of both of these work well? In a spot or two, though, the rust goes up into the door sill.

tbone
03-01-2016, 09:49 AM
If you go with my way, it would somewhat restore the rockers. With the other method, while just fine, you are still left with gaping holes.....

You just fill the holes on top of the sills with more bondo. If you are halfway decent with sanding, it will be alright, and way better than what you currently have.

Have you done any bodywork before?

J-MAN
03-01-2016, 10:20 AM
How are the shock towers?

ledzilla
03-01-2016, 11:15 AM
If you go with my way, it would somewhat restore the rockers. With the other method, while just fine, you are still left with gaping holes.....

You just fill the holes on top of the sills with more bondo. If you are halfway decent with sanding, it will be alright, and way better than what you currently have.

Have you done any bodywork before?

I have never done bodywork, so I'd probably enlist the assistance of my brother-in-law since he's had experience with it.

How are the shock towers?

Shock towers are in good shape, no sign of any trouble with them.