PDA

View Full Version : State to state home movers.

cougar9150
03-21-2016, 08:16 AM
My wife and I are relocating from the Tampa Bay area to Woodstock Georgia in mid April and are looking for some recommendations on home moving companies. Looking for help from anyone who has had a personal experience with a company as we have heard some horror stories especially on interstate moves.

Her company is paying for the move but we want to get a few quotes because they are only willing to pay up to a specific amount and it needs to be the whole household. Us renting a truck and taking a up a portion of the house ourselves isn't a option as I have a jacked up neck and back that just won't allow it.

Cheeseheadbob
03-22-2016, 09:56 AM
My girlfriend is moving to Daytona Beach from the Baltimore area and I was charged with finding her the best way to move. I am in the trucking business and have done my insider checking on this service and it has received almost universal approval.

http://www.upack.com/

Good luck.

vkirkend
03-22-2016, 01:15 PM
I work for the agency that regulates movers. see info below:

Protect Your Move
The Household Goods Program

Moving to a new home is a significant event that is often stressful, and the U.S. Government, in partnership with the moving industry, law enforcement and consumer groups, is arming consumers with the information they need to protect themselves against one of the most stressful situations that can plague a household move: being taken advantage of by a dishonest or rogue mover.

More than 35 million Americans move each year, and most movers are legitimate companies that do quality work. But the number of complaints against interstate movers is rising. Many of those complaints are lodged against a small percentage of movers known as rogue movers.

FMCSA's Protect Your Move website provides includes a user-friendly database that allows visitors to look up interstate moving companies by state or by name and to review both the consumer complaint history as well as the company's on-road safety performance records. A new feature of the Web site allows state consumer protection agencies to easily update state contact information for shippers who have questions about household goods movers.

Background

Congress has focused important attention on the problem of rogue movers through hearings and funding of a consumer outreach program. This attention has helped create the first partnership between Federal, State and local officials, and the moving industry itself.

Where to Begin

If you are planning to move, then Protect Yourself from Moving Fraud is a great starting point. In this section of our Web site, you can learn red flags for spotting rogue movers, how to choose a reputable mover, and frequently asked questions. You will also want to know your rights when hiring a mover, including the fact that movers are legally required to provide you with a booklet on this topic.

For more tips and a moving checklist, click the Are You Moving? tab on this Web site. Also, don't forget to search the FMCSAdatabase for registered movers and utilize resources within your State like moving associations and consumer groups.

But if you happen to experience trouble with a mover, you can file a complaint with FMCSA or the Better Business Bureau, or seek help from consumer groups within your State.

The majority of household moves go smoothly, but FMCSA urges all consumers to be prepared and well informed, just in case.Protect Your Move.

- See more at: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/consumer-protection/household-goods/protect-your-move#sthash.XDO4IGDs.dpuf

BLACKMARAUDER04
03-22-2016, 04:55 PM
Our previous experience says find the mover in the city
you are relocating to, not from where you are.
That way you won't have problems with the movers because you
have access to the local office.

cougar9150
03-26-2016, 02:21 PM
Ended up using 2 Men and a truck. Just liked the idea of it only being our stuff loaded on the truck and offered the best rate compared to Graeble, Allied and other weight based companies who wanted to charge an arm and a leg for my tool boxes.

Got 5 quotes overall and just felt best about the 2 men since we will have it delivered the next day by the same 2 guys who loaded it no waiting 2 or 3 days till the truck reached or area. Will be up in our new home in Woodstock April 15th.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk