PDA

View Full Version : Taurus SHO

crouse
03-31-2016, 10:07 AM
Does anyone own a newer Ford Taurus SHO? I'm thinking about selling or trading in my Marauder on a 2013 or 2014 SHO. Wondering how you like it compared to the Marauder. I love to run Auto Cross events and I think the AWD would do OK on the Auto-X course. Any comments would be appreciated.

Catfish
03-31-2016, 10:19 AM
I don't own one but really like those cars. An older lady I work with owns one in Ruby Red. 365HP Twin-Turbo Ecoboost. I don't think she knows she has the fastest car in the parking lot!

daddyusmaximus
03-31-2016, 10:23 AM
I've read a lot of good things about them, but I don't like the looks of them.

2mercs
03-31-2016, 10:45 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160331/8441cef2b21304d57d14243b0c5832 78.jpg keep the mm and get the sho. There is no comparison really. I love all the tech and how the sho accelerates so effortlessly. But the maruader feels more brash.

HotRaud90
03-31-2016, 10:56 AM
A tuned SHO can lay down some pretty good numbers, too. I just don't really dig the body style. Too mild, IMO. Looks too generic, unless it has some type of sport package add on.

Bluerauder
03-31-2016, 11:08 AM
Does anyone own a newer Ford Taurus SHO?
I bought a 2012 Taurus SHO (1,808 produced) back in February 2012. It is my daily driver. Kept the MM just for weekends, MM events, and shows. I like both cars for different reasons. The Taurus SHO handles and drives much larger than the Marauder. It just feels like a much bigger car and I don't throw it around nearly as much as the MM. Taurus SHO is 365 HP, 350 TQ from the factory. A Livernois Motor Sports (LMS) tune will get you to 400 HP. Personally, I like the grille and SHO badging better on the 2013 and later models better than my 2012. The grille is not interchangeable due to some front end differences. Visibility in the Marauder is much, much better than in the Taurus which has blindspots galore IMHO. The Taurus SHO checks in at almost 200 pounds heavier than the MM but the acceleration difference is noticeable. In stock trim, the Taurus SHO is a 13.5 second car. The LMS tune will put you in the 13.0 flat neighborhood. I kept them both and both have gone to Carlisle for the past 2 years. Pics below are from the 2015 Carlisle All Fords. More info in my signature.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2015_Carlisle0015.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2015_Carlisle0016.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/TwoCars0001.JPG

daddyusmaximus
03-31-2016, 11:18 AM
I would not have thought that the newer car would be heavier than the old school full frame Marauder...

Bluerauder
03-31-2016, 11:25 AM
I would not have thought that the newer car would be heavier than the old school full frame Marauder...

Curb Weight of the 2012 Taurus SHO is 4,368 pounds. That's 204 pounds more than the Marauder. The car is visually larger ... see photo above and has a higher belt line. Lots of bells and whistles on the interior. Even the interior seems much larger than the Marauder. The trunk is about 50% larger than the MM.

Curb Weight of the 2003 Marauder is 4,164 pounds.

crouse
03-31-2016, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the responses.

I looked up the value of my Marauder on KBB.com and trade-in is only about $5000. I searched Auto Trader and there is one Marauder for sale within 200 miles of the Minneapolis / St Paul area and 30 in the entire United States. Wouldn't you think that would increase the value?

I'll probably just keep my Marauder and look for a used 2013 or newer SHO.

Catfish
03-31-2016, 12:01 PM
Wow, you're right. Never realized how big they are. Only problem is they don't come with a cassette tape player like our MMs. Unless that's an option I missed in the brochure.

guspech750
03-31-2016, 12:22 PM
I will keep this short. We bought a new 2014 SHO. We absolutely LOVE it. It had 7 miles on it December 20 2014 and now it has 24,000 miles. :) We test drove and checked out Cadillacs, BMW 5 series, Loncoln, Hyundai Genesis, Volvo and came to the conclusion that for the money. The SHO was hard to beat. It's got a lot of interior space, trunk space very nice fit and finish, electronic amenities, good power, nice styling and AWD. (my wife demanded AWD)

I wish we would have found one with the PP package. But for the price, rebates, interest rate and the dealer gave us $4k more than what we owed on our trade in. We could not pass it up.

If you truly plan on auto crossing and such. Get an SHO with the PP package. Besides it having a slightly quicker gear, and brakes. It has all the coolers and you can truly disable the traction and stability controls. The non PP cars you can only partially disable the traction control. Not even a tune can disable truly disable the traction control and stability control on the non PP cars.

I do love how easy it is to use the Sony/Microsoft Navigation, XM, etc etc. we also have the optional 20" runs too. Took these pics soon after we bought it. Shortly after wards I had tinted windows installed. Looks much better now. Absolutely love the heated and cooled seats and heated steering wheel. I mostly love how much side to side interior space there is. I will not buy a car that when I close the door. My arm is touching that door when closed. I like lots of elbow/arm space and the Taurus has that.

Don't trade in the Merc.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160331/f213bb625ca9d8c39d08377501b188 55.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160331/2b220b41d1faed7c7992eb43ecf86a 56.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160331/739831d29f7d4dc338739bc461f9b1 ba.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160331/7550aca9ef9e3d84d3c3b0db219327 f5.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160331/bad75b5fee2a6b8879d6ab4132c36b 73.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160331/44da72cbb00be9bc69f8ef4f25dd4e 84.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160331/f7e87b705cd5519c01e97708bc4496 2b.jpg

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

Mr. Man
03-31-2016, 12:37 PM
Curb Weight of the 2012 Taurus SHO is 4,368 pounds. That's 204 pounds more than the Marauder. The car is visually larger ... see photo above and has a higher belt line. Lots of bells and whistles on the interior. Even the interior seems much larger than the Marauder. The trunk is about 50% larger than the MM.

Curb Weight of the 2003 Marauder is 4,164 pounds.Unless the SHO has a very different interior then the regular Taurus I disagree at least from the drivers seat. If your a tiny wee guy like Blue the Taurus is probably very comfy. If your over 6 feet and 250lbs I would take the test car for a very long test ride. Once I get in my MM there is shoulder room galore as well as room for the "man-spread' of the legs. The Taurus has such a wide center console I was very uncomfortable after driving it for more than a short hop.

I'm sure the power and handling is as good or better than the MM but if your a large driver take your time testing it before you buy.

Blind spots are horrible on the Taurus as well. Also research the cost of repairing a twin turbo engine if your not the shade tree mechanic type. Not saying don't buy it just do a little homework before you commit. :)

Bluerauder
03-31-2016, 12:54 PM
Unless the SHO has a very different interior then the regular Taurus I disagree at least from the drivers seat. If your a tiny wee guy like Blue the Taurus is probably very comfy. If your over 6 feet and 250lbs I would take the test car for a very long test ride. Once I get in my MM there is shoulder room galore as well as room for the "man-spread' of the legs. The Taurus has such a wide center console I was very uncomfortable after driving it for more than a short hop. :)

I have found the Taurus SHO to be a very comfortable ride and mine is now approaching 50,000 miles. Never had a problem with driver's seat room. However, I have talked with other guys who agree with Mr. Man. The high and wide console may give a cramped feeling to some larger or taller individuals. I have about 1-2 inches clearance on my right leg/knee against the center console. The SHO console is higher and when I switch between the Taurus to the Marauder, I generally miss the shifter by 2-3 inches because of the difference. Thus, the high/wide console does give a cockpit feeling. The wife loves the ride and comfort of the Taurus along with the heated & cooled seats, dual climate controls, and many of the other amenities. The back seat has tons of leg and shoulder room. I highly recommend and extended test drive like Mr. Man suggests to see if a SHO fits you and your needs.

Bigslim1
03-31-2016, 03:00 PM
Although I do not own a SHO I do have some input on the matter. My dad has a Taurus and it is a nice car. Nice power, handles nice and feels big. The interior does feel more "tight" than the MM. As it was stated it feels more like a cockpit. The car has great amenities. Being here in the Detroit area I have seen the "Livernois" tuned SHO's. They are badazz! You can see some of these cars on youtube. The 400hp and 13.0 second times are underrated. I want a SHO but I will wait for the new model to come out. You know that the Taurus will be redone for next year. I want to see how many horsepower they put in it this time.

alec2538
03-31-2016, 03:31 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/11/2017-ford-fusion-sport-detroit-auto-show/

Almost 1k pounds lighter than a SHO, better looking (IMHO), better visibility (fact), 325 HP stock and AWD. Plus, the Livernois is already playing with tuning the 2.7 due to it's use in the Edge/MKX. Keep the MM for the weekend boat and drive the SNOT out of the Fusion on the daily.

/thread

chief455
03-31-2016, 04:34 PM
SHO - gas cap is on the wrong side of the car. :shake:
Next.....

Bluerauder
03-31-2016, 05:21 PM
SHO - gas cap is on the wrong side of the car. :shake:
Next.....

This has twisted me up on more than couple occasions when switching back and forth between the SHO and the Marauder. Now I have to check the gas gauge for the tiny arrow to remind me which side is correct for the gas filler.

ChiTownMaraud3r
03-31-2016, 05:28 PM
I just can't stand how bloated the car looks.

Spectragod
03-31-2016, 05:40 PM
All those who are enamored with these cars, wait till your water pump goes out........

One of the benefits of having a "fleet" of these, the problems show their nasty side. Wait till you see the procedure and book time for replacement..... which explains why they are turning up at auctions with"cooling system" problems....... just sayin'

8UWITH6
03-31-2016, 05:59 PM
I have not seen this at my shop yet as they are still "new". Whats the issue? 4 plus hour flag time?

Spectragod
03-31-2016, 06:19 PM
I have not seen this at my shop yet as they are still "new". Whats the issue? 4 plus hour flag time?

Try 22 hours. You have to remove the accessories, remove the timing chain cover, remove the timing chains, remove timing chain gear off snout of crank, drop half the cradle, remove 1 axle, just to get to the water pump, we have had 3 with less than 35k with the same problem. You know the job sucks when the depot mechanics (who get paid hourly) said they will send them to the dealer to fix, due to the amount of work involved.

I sold my explorer sport for this reason

chief455
03-31-2016, 06:31 PM
Try 22 hours. You have to remove the accessories, remove the timing chain cover, remove the timing chains, remove timing chain gear off snout of crank, drop half the cradle, remove 1 axle, just to get to the water pump, we have had 3 with less than 35k with the same problem. You know the job sucks when the depot mechanics (who get paid hourly) said they will send them to the dealer to fix, due to the amount of work involved.

I sold my explorer sport for this reason
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Designer team should be shot. My mechanic said a big "NO!" when I mentioned liking the SHO - I guess if yours doesn't break, it is nice.

SpartaPerformance
03-31-2016, 06:48 PM
If you're looking to buy brand new better make a decision. Civilian Taurus's I believe will be discontinued next year. The replacement will be a Fusion withe the 2.7 EcoBoost making 315HP with AWD

Bigslim1
03-31-2016, 06:50 PM
The new Taurus will borrow a lot of styling cues from the Fusion.
http://www.carnews2015.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2017-Ford-Taurus-1.jpg

http://fordcars2016.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Ford-Taurus-2017-front.jpg

ledzilla
04-01-2016, 09:16 AM
I've been toying with eventually selling my Buick to buy either a Fusion or a Taurus. I was leaning toward the Taurus mostly because the Fusion's trunk is smaller than the trunk of my Century by about 1cu ft. I think the trunk size between the Taurus and MM is about comparable, somewhere a little north of 20 cu ft for both. But knowing that the Taurus has water pump issues, and it's a PITA to do the repair, makes me want to deal with the Fusion's smaller trunk anyway. Then I can get those neat interior lights itnhas.

Bluerauder
04-01-2016, 10:28 AM
I think the trunk size between the Taurus and MM is about comparable, somewhere a little north of 20 cu ft for both. But knowing that the Taurus has water pump issues, and it's a PITA to do the repair, makes me want to deal with the Fusion's smaller trunk anyway..

There is no comparison between trunk space on the MM and Taurus SHO. The Taurus has about 50% more useable space than the MM. The damn spare in the MM gets in the way of everything. Even the donut spare is a huge obstruction on the passenger side. If that is not enough, the Taurus has split back seats that fold down. I've taken 4 large roll-on luggage bags and 4 people with all their "stuff" on vacation in the Taurus. Two of those bags is a problem in the MM without removing the trunk organizer.

As far as a potential problem with the water pump, you probably stand the same chance of a failure with any make or model car that you buy. Figure I'll just deal with it if it happens down the line. .... 50K miles so far and no problem.

BLACKMARAUDER04
04-01-2016, 10:30 AM
I currently own a 2011 Lincoln MKS w/ Ecoboost. This is the same vehicle as a Taurus SHO. I purchased it used for less than a used SHO. It came Certified with the 6year 100,000 warranty I've also owned a fully loaded 2010 MKS w. Ecoboost. The automatic parking assist failed. Caused $1700 in damage. Ford did not want to take claim for the defect. Ford lost in court, got the car back after I drove it for 6 months for free. .
The car is large. Much harder to see out of and park than a Marauder.
The car is faster than the Marauder, but is not as fun to drive.
I've driven to Las Vegas a number of times in this vehicle.
It's comfortable, easy to drive long distances, gets over 22MPG with a
heavy foot. I average about 15MPG around town (12 in the Marauder).
My wife gets usually 18MPG.
I hope the new SHO puts down power like the new Raptor's 3.5L 450HP Ecoboost.
The 2017 Continental and MKZ will have a Lincoln exclusive 3.0L Ecoboost putting out 400HP. The 3.0L engine is the largest engine China will take without adding in Tarriffs .

Hope this helps.

ledzilla
04-01-2016, 10:51 AM
Ok, technically, the Marauder actually has a bigger trunk at 20.6 cu ft compared to the Taurus's 20.1. But yeah, I see that the Taurus has more usable cargo space due to better spare placement and folding rear seats.

ledzilla
04-01-2016, 10:52 AM
I don't about anyone else, but I'm actually having a hard time liking the rear end of the MKS. I like the rest of it, just not the rear.

Bluerauder
04-01-2016, 12:26 PM
Ok, technically, the Marauder actually has a bigger trunk at 20.6 cu ft compared to the Taurus's 20.1. But yeah, I see that the Taurus has more usable cargo space due to better spare placement and folding rear seats.

The numbers are deceiving. Go look in a Taurus trunk to confirm for yourself on the amount of "useable" cargo space. Even if the numbers are close to what you indicated, all of the Taurus 20.1 cu ft can be used. Deduct 9 cu ft + 3 cu ft + 1 cu ft from the Marauder for the trunk organizer, spare, and amplifier and you are left with 10..6 cu ft of useable space. I have been loading stuff into the Marauder trunk for 13 years and there is NO Comparison .... Not even close even with the Taurus seats up.

The car is large. Much harder to see out of and park than a Marauder.
The car is faster than the Marauder, but is not as fun to drive.

It's comfortable, easy to drive long distances, gets over 22MPG with a
heavy foot. I average about 15MPG around town (12 in the Marauder).

My wife gets usually 18MPG.

I agree with the large, hard to see out of part. Because of the high and wide front end, it is difficult to judge parking. The high ass end makes it impossible to see to the rear without a back up camera that comes with the SHO. No question that it is faster than the stock Marauder. And I agree that the Marauder is more fun to drive because you can throw it around in the corners better. I have noticed a bit of understeer in the Taurus SHO.

I can get 30 MPG on the highway at 65-70 MPG using cruise control. Around town, 18 MPG is typical. Best of all is that the Taurus SHO is happy with 87 Octane and doesn't need the 93 Premium stuff.

2mercs
04-01-2016, 01:31 PM
Yes it can run on 87 but why run a lower octane on a boosted vehicle? And this whole gas mileage debate bothers me. It's a performance based car expect premium fuel and poor mileage.

gpfarrell
04-04-2016, 09:26 AM
An MKS, especially with the Livernois Tune, is very interesting.

I bought an '11 in August of '12 and kept it until the Spring of 15. (Wanted something more fun... which meant a manual transmission... first a 2012 BMW 535i and now a 2012 550i).

On trunks, they are huge in the Taurus/MKS, but the opening is a limiting factor. Front seat is a bit more intimate, back seat is roomier.

From a dig, my tuned MKS would take my Trilogy Marauder. From a roll, the Merc felt much torquier and faster.

More modern toys in the Lincoln, and IMHO nicer interior and the huge sunroof made up for the SHO's subtle performance image. Oh, Eibach springs for the MKS. I actually fitted Eibach springs (or was it another supplier?) spec'd for a regular non-SHO on my MKS. Dropped it an inch, handled much better, still rode nice. Bottomed (in the center) about 3x a year.

I've kept the Marauder and always will. Love that car. Didn't love the MKS. Great car and aside from the availablitiy of a manual transmission, likely a match for the BMW 5-series... especially if cost is a concern!

Oh, real-world... rainy day got to squeeze into a gap in traffic launches... the MKS was a dream!

crouse
04-04-2016, 10:23 AM
The new Taurus will borrow a lot of styling cues from the Fusion.
http://www.carnews2015.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2017-Ford-Taurus-1.jpg

http://fordcars2016.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Ford-Taurus-2017-front.jpg

I love the looks of the 2017 versus the current model year. Never really like the high rear end. This looks like a larger Fusion.

BLACKMARAUDER04
04-04-2016, 12:06 PM
The useable Trunk space in the Marauder is way larger.
I can put 60 individual 12packs of soda in the Marauder.
Only about 40 fit in the MKS.

Bluerauder
04-04-2016, 02:01 PM

I guess we will just disagree on this point; but 13.5 cu ft useable in the Marauder and only 9 cu ft useable in the MKS/ Taurus SHO ain't anywhere near to being close. BTW a 12-pack is .2243 cu ft (5"x5"x15.5").

Joe Walsh
04-04-2016, 03:17 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/11/2017-ford-fusion-sport-detroit-auto-show/

Almost 1k pounds lighter than a SHO, better looking (IMHO), better visibility (fact), 325 HP stock and AWD.
Plus, the Livernois is already playing with tuning the 2.7 due to it's use in the Edge/MKX.
Keep the MM for the weekend boat and drive the SNOT out of the Fusion on the daily.

A big +1!
Saving my $$ for next year's Ford Fusion Sport.....:2thumbs:

Bluerauder
04-05-2016, 06:20 AM
A big +1!

Saving my $$ for next year's Ford Fusion Sport.....:2thumbs:

I had initially considered a Ford Fusion before deciding on the Taurus SHO. The styling was nice; but it just felt much smaller to me after driving the Marauder for so long. Lots smaller.

Spectragod
04-05-2016, 06:37 AM

You can get more bodies in the trunk of a panther......

metroplex
01-28-2017, 06:06 AM
Does anyone own a newer Ford Taurus SHO? I'm thinking about selling or trading in my Marauder on a 2013 or 2014 SHO. Wondering how you like it compared to the Marauder. I love to run Auto Cross events and I think the AWD would do OK on the Auto-X course. Any comments would be appreciated.

Having driven my 2000 Crown Vic for about 14 years before switching to my 2014 SHO, I think I can provide some useful info.

With just a tune my SHO is running 12.6 in the 1/4 mile. I think the Trilogy Marauders were in that range. The SHO can be driven in like 12 inches of snow with the factory Badyear Eagle RS-A due to the AWD. It is a front wheel drive AWD system that spins the rear driveshaft 100% of the time and engages the rear wheels with an electronic controlled clutch pack at the rear diff (handles 1000 ft-lb of torque).

The SHO is fairly agile for such a large vehicle but you definitely want a good tune to fix the drive by wire system otherwise the stock system feels lethargic.

I get 14-16 mpg in the winter and 18-20 mpg in the summer. It is designed for 87 octane and I've run 87 octane for years and years. There is knock retard with 87 octane with the factory tune.

The stock intake system gets gummed up by the PCV breather system so there are some mods you need to perform.

The stock turbos are small GT1549L's that could use an upgrade, along with the intercooler. The 6F55 transmission realistically handles about 450 whp , so about 50 whp more than a tune-only configuration.

The guys running catless downpipes and a cold air intake are only 0.1 to 0.2 faster than my tune-only SHO, so they aren't as restrictive as you'd think. If you want to run faster, you will need water/meth injection and an E20/E30 tune.

The stock direct injection high pressure fuel pump is a severe limitation as are the stock injectors. They are working on aftermarket HPFP's so we can run E85 (which requires a lot of fuel) which could help bump up power as well.

I wouldn't ever go back to a RWD car for a daily driver, especially on a car that runs in the 12s and can be driven in the snow without constantly changing tires back/forth.

CoreyM75
01-28-2017, 07:47 AM
Metro, do you still have your 2000 HPP? I remember the car and it was very nice.

gpfarrell
01-28-2017, 08:21 AM
I wouldn't ever go back to a RWD car for a daily driver, especially on a car that runs in the 12s and can be driven in the snow without constantly changing tires back/forth.

I agree with everything you said... except this. My MKS with AWD would go anywhere in the snow but it was unsafe... those fat 20" all-seasons wouldn't steer or stop.

My RWD BMW 550i (400hp) is in the shop and my loaned is an AWD X3 on all seasons. My sedan is on Blizzaks and will go anywhere I need it to. It will also stop hard on snow without the ABS chattering. The X3 goes, but can't stop or steer nearly as well as my sedan.

When you can't go, you have time to plan.

When you can't stop or steer, you don't.

metroplex
01-28-2017, 10:24 AM
Corey: Yep! Still have it!

I agree with everything you said... except this. My MKS with AWD would go anywhere in the snow but it was unsafe... those fat 20" all-seasons wouldn't steer or stop.

The big snow storm we got after the Super Bowl about 2 years ago (Where Ferndale declared a state of emergency) was a good test for my RS-As. The SHO plowed through that stuff without any issues (literally - lots of snow packed behind the grille). Yes, stopping and taking off on ice is going to be an issue as with any vehicle without dedicated snow tires. I could stop, cut the wheels, and take off. The Crown Vic would have bogged down even with BFG All-Terrain T/As (which are mountain/snowflake rated) or snow tires. I can launch in slush as well with the AWD.

But I'll never go back to RWD for a daily driver and I used to do the snow tire swap exercise but gave up because it was a PITA. We don't get enough snow in SE MI to warrant them, but we get enough snow and cold that I can't run performance tires either. Heck, if I had the dough, I'd go with an AWD performance car. They launch like torpedoes out of a tube even with regular tires. If you want that extra assurance, snow tires on an AWD would make it even better. A car like the Hellcat is fun, but I wouldn't want to drive one in the snow even with snow tires. It's better to split the torque among 4 wheels instead of 2.

My SHO's 60' time is about 1.7-1.8 and that's with worn out 3-year old RS-As. I checked time slips for those with dedicated drag radials, and they are maybe 0.1 seconds faster in the 60'.

There is a reason I went with the non-PP SHO for 2014, it comes with 255/45R19's while the PP SHO has 245/45R20's. There is a difference in tread width based on OEM specs.

For some reason, these 255 RS-As stick like glue in everything except rain - they'd hydroplane badly when new compared to the factory 10+ year old Pirelli's on my 07 Mustang GT (I did a test). The SHO felt unsafe in the rain on flooded roads when new, whereas the old hard as a rock Pirellis on the GT sliced through standing water.

If they equipped the PP with all-seasons instead of those summer racing tires, I'd have gone with the PP. I picked my SHO up with 3 inches of ice/snow in the subdivisions. They wouldn't swap out the Eagle F1 tires at the dealership and wanted me to go to a local shop to do it. I opted for the non-PP.

I forgot to add:
Stock SHO runs 10-11 psi, with a tune they can go up to 20 psi but the turbos lose efficiency (and pump out heat) above 16 psi.

CoreyM75
01-28-2017, 11:17 AM
Metroplex, I was hoping that you did. I remember the car from the old days of CVN. It was always a nice looking car and it was exactly optioned as I would have done if I bought one new.

Drewstang
01-30-2017, 07:50 AM
I had a 2010 SHO and I didn't like the AWD setup, but they changed in 2013 to a newer system that balances the take off / wheel spin much better. I've got two friends with 14 / 15 SHO's who love them; the 14 is modified with full exhaust, 3 bar map, CAI, and tune.

metroplex
01-30-2017, 09:04 AM
I'm not sure if they tweaked the AWD system, but 2010-2012 SHO's are different from 2013-up. The front brakes are revised on 2013-up because they'd overheat very easily on 2010-2012. I will say my 2014's front brakes tend to overheat after about 3-4 hard stops from about 110 mph.

Looking at my AWD power gauge, I can see the rear tires getting power first during take off with the fronts then getting most of the power later on.

The full exhaust (catless DP and cat-back) and CAI aren't really worth much power, maybe 0.1-0.2 on the 1/4 at most. The stock system is really efficient.

ChiTownMaraud3r
01-30-2017, 02:11 PM
The new sport fusions are out. Anyone considering a Taurus should also check these out.

metroplex
01-30-2017, 02:34 PM
I think a few did check them out and didn't like them as much as the SHO. The Fusion Sport is quite heavy for such a smaller vehicle, and the EcoBoost 2.7L V6 isn't delivering as much grunt. I think it pretty much evened out as the stock SHO when I last checked the specs.

The 2.7 when fully tuned produces around 400 hp at the crank, while the 3.5 can produce around 450-470 hp depending on the tune. So the Fusion is still quite close to the SHO for performance. The Fusion Sport now has that anti-pothole suspension system, but hopefully it never fails outside of warranty.

They are thinking the Taurus is done after 2017, as Ford now wants you to buy a Fusion instead. If the Taurus is somehow kept alive with a new re-design, it'll use the Fusion chassis anyhow.

Bigslim1
01-30-2017, 07:24 PM
The SHO will still post 0-60 and 1/4 times. I find it funny that China got a new Taurus while we still have the one that has been around since 2009. The one in China even comes in long wheelbase design.

gatlandc
02-22-2017, 04:58 PM
I have just purchased a new 2016 Taurus SHO with the performance option and I am real happy with it ; I really pondered what to get after owning a black 2004 MM for 8 years. I am keeping the MM for Sundays but it was time for a modern vehicle and the twin turbo charged Taurus fits the bill nicely with 365HP/350 lb torque. My first impression of the shape was not positive but it has grown on me more and more since buying it. It actually looks more European to me . I brought a cherry red. One question is there forum for Taurus SHO owners?

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2017-02-18_15_04_21_2_.jpg
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2017-02-18_15_05_08_2_.jpg
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2017-02-18_15_28_01_2_.jpg
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2017-02-18_16_04_16.jpg

crownvic97
02-22-2017, 06:53 PM
I have just purchased a new 2016 Taurus SHO with the performance option and I am real happy with it ; I really pondered what to get after owning a black 2004 MM for 8 years. I am keeping the MM for Sundays but it was time for a modern vehicle and the twin turbo charged Taurus fits the bill nicely with 365HP/350 lb torque. My first impression of the shape was not positive but it has grown on me more and more since buying it. It actually looks more European to me . I brought a cherry red. One question is there forum for Taurus SHO owners?

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2017-02-18_15_04_21_2_.jpg
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2017-02-18_15_05_08_2_.jpg
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2017-02-18_15_28_01_2_.jpg
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2017-02-18_16_04_16.jpg

Beautiful SHO!

maximusslade
02-22-2017, 11:35 PM
Of course there is a SHO forum... If the Panther has many... no doubt the SHO has one or two.

71cyclone
02-23-2017, 04:47 AM
Blu-Rauder loves his SHO [ 5 years runnin] , A Carlisle SHOW winner also along with the MM.

Bluerauder
02-23-2017, 05:53 AM
.... it was time for a modern vehicle and the twin turbo charged Taurus fits the bill nicely with 365HP/350 lb torque.

One question is there forum for Taurus SHO owners?

A tune from Livernois MotorSports (LMS) will get you to 400 BHP.

I was a member at "SHOForum.com" for awhile; but it never had the same feel as the MM.Net. Haven't visited for quite a while. JMHO -- not as tight knit a community. Last year at the 2016 Carlisle All Ford Nationals, the SHO group had a very large turnout of owners for the first time that I can remember. There were about 25 stock SHOs and about 20 Modified SHOs from the current generation.

Blu-Rauder loves his SHO [ 5 years runnin] , A Carlisle SHOW winner also along with the MM.

Yes I do and Yes I have. Both the SHO and the MM have gone to Carlisle for the past several years. My son drives the SHO and I take the MM.

I have a 2012 Taurus SHO in Tuxedo Black. Just over 50K miles now. Production in 2012 was limited to only 1,808 SHOs probably in anticipation of the release of the 2013 model. Personally, I like the grille, seatback embossing, and badging on the newer SHOs. Unfortunately, the grilles are not interchangeable due to a change in shape.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2015_Carlisle0015.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2015_Carlisle0016.JPG

gdsqdcr
02-23-2017, 07:09 AM
[QUOTE=gatlandc;1527601] One question is there forum for Taurus SHO owners?

I was a member of SHOFORUM.com for a long time. As previously stated, a different community feeling but I enjoyed it. Their national convention travels across the US. In 04 it was in California and I helped set that one up. So maybe my opinion is a little biased there that I felt like it was a warm community. I still stop in from time to time to check it out, but have not posted there in probably 7 years, as I sit here now with a Marauder.

2,4shofast
02-23-2017, 08:24 AM
I really enjoyed the SHOForum for many years, the crowd changed before the new SHO was introduced and it felt more like a Honda Civic Forum. I had a few bad dealings selling parts on there a few years back so I haven't been back. I heard it has been turning around at least.

massacre
02-23-2017, 08:12 PM
We just bought a Lincoln with the 400hp Eco boost which iirc is the same engine as the sho Taurus.
All I can say is wow

Bluerauder
02-24-2017, 05:37 AM
We just bought a Lincoln with the 400hp Eco boost which iirc is the same engine as the sho Taurus.

All I can say is wow

Stock is 365 HP/350 TQ. You need the LMS tune to get to 400 HP. Yes, same engine as the Taurus SHO.

BLACKMARAUDER04
02-24-2017, 01:44 PM
The new 400HP Lincoln engine is a Lincoln exclusive
3.0 Twin Turbo. Only available in the MKZ and Continental.
Not the same as a SHO.
Hopefully, the 2018 SHO will have the same engine as the Raptor.