PDA

View Full Version : Losing oil pressure

jarrod13
03-31-2016, 07:29 PM
I accidentally ran my marauder low on oil (due to an oil leak I didn't know about from the oil pressure switch ironically) and since then I have had some issues. So when it first starts there is a pretty loud knock for one second maybe two, then the oil pressure goes up as normal and the knock goes away. After driving for a little while the oil pressure starts dropping and the knocking can be heard again but not as loud, and it can really only be heard on acceleration. Then eventually it will lose oil pressure all together and the knocking gets louder and can usually be heard at idle as well. I've heard a rod knock many times and I just don't think that's what it is, it doesn't sound heavy enough, but also not light enough to be a lifter type noise. Any experience/advice would be great. I really hope the motor isn't ruined.

Also it has a vortec stand alone supercharger FYI

jarrod13
03-31-2016, 07:33 PM
And all this happens within about 10-15 minutes of driving, and driving easy at that, I haven't raced it around since this happen.

Obviously I did an oil change immediately and added Lucas as well but didn't seem to help much

RubberCtyRauder
03-31-2016, 08:24 PM
I would venture to say you have an internal issue that probably will require a teardown. I don't see it getting better with Lucas or anything else. prepare for the worse and hope for the best.

Ourobos
03-31-2016, 08:32 PM
Do you have a real gauge or the fake one? Probably time to pull the engine apart

MOTOWN
04-01-2016, 05:56 AM
Time for a rebuild , no way around it.

cer0413
04-01-2016, 06:16 AM
Time for a rebuild , no way around it.
I too need a rebuild or replacement. All this from a mofo timing cover swap. [emoji21]

MOTOWN
04-01-2016, 06:42 AM
I too need a rebuild or replacement. All this from a mofo timing cover swap. [emoji21]

You need a real mechanic!

fastblackmerc
04-01-2016, 09:06 AM
Start setting aside $$$$$ for a rebuild. Now's your chance to make it better.

crouse
04-01-2016, 09:16 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say the main and rod bearings have some excessive wear and now the oil is flooding past the bearings instead of staying in the center grove of the bearings. So when you start the engine cold, the oil is thick enough but when it warms up, the oil thins and floods past the bearings. You might try pulling the engine, remove the oil pan and pull a main bearing and a few rod bearing to check if they are worn. Might get lucky with just changing bearings. I could be wrong though.

jarrod13
04-01-2016, 12:07 PM
That's what I was afraid of, I was just holding out hope that it maybe only needed an oil pump or something. I haven't done too much work on this car myself, and now I don't have acces to a lift or garage to work in... Is the oil pan a pain in the ass to get off without removing the engine?

I just had the motor and trans out of my impala for an overhaul, I don't want to have to do it again :(