PDA

View Full Version : Ain't It The Truth!

PHHHHTT
05-14-2016, 10:19 PM
https://www.thrillist.com/cars/nation/the-most-underrated-american-muscle-cars-of-all-time

Some folks may have already seen this, I came across it this evening. It really strikes home for me because I own three on the list.

1. 2004 Mercury Marauder

2. 1970 Torino Cobra

3. 1970 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler

Anyone else who owned any of the cars (other than the Marauder) featured in the article agree with their opinion?

kirk
05-15-2016, 05:59 AM
I certainly agree that the Marauder is vastly under rated. The article itself even under rates it, by getting the years WRONG! While they list the years as 1964-5, 1969-70, and 2003-4, they show a picture of a 1963 Marauder! WTF?

I don't know of anybody who ever thought the GNX was under rated. High priced and not sold or seen much, but certainly not under rated.

Mr. Man
05-15-2016, 12:05 PM
Got to agree with Kirk on the GNX. It was a monster in its day and gets plenty of respect today. Only seen one in person though. Read somewhere they only built 540 or so. I see lots of GN's at car shows.

I never even knew of the Buick Wildcat. I knew the engine was called that but never knew it was a stand alone model. Have to keep my eyes open for one.

AMC in general doesn't get much respect anymore and at least around where I live I don't see many AMC's of any variety. Couple of Rebels come occasionally to the cruise nite, but not sure where they start their journey. Probably East of my neck O' the woods. Got me thinking of Russell, wonder if he still has his AMX?

Always wanted a Hemi Dart, even when I was just a sprout. Probably have to sell my house to afford one now.

Turbov6Bryan
05-15-2016, 12:32 PM
I think the Gnx was under rated, as in it was rated at 276 hp vs 245 hp on all the other turbov6 buicks. It was way more than 276 hp and the turbov6 was way more than 245 hp
My 9,000 mile TTA (1989 factory turbo v6 Buick 1 of 1555 built) put 301 hp to the tire. Bone stock! FYI it's the same engine as the Buick Gnx but different FWD heads from a 86 lesabre to fit the strut towers, and the TTA head flows less than the Buick one lol

Maybe this article should have not listed the GNX, but should have listed a 86 t-type or 87 turbo regal limited. Those fly under the radar, I should know :)

Crown Vicman
05-15-2016, 02:30 PM
I'd like that 2+2 with a 428

stevengerard
05-16-2016, 07:49 PM
I had a two door 1970 Wildcat, last year they made it, only year it came with a 455. Great cruiser with some get-up-and-go. Wish I still had it but don't regret it, got the 442 with some of the funds from selling the Wildcat. When is the last time you saw one?! They came in 4-doors and convertibles too. One day I'll get a 70 convertible.

I'd say the GNX was underrated when it first came out. In those days no one trusted a V6. They were overpriced limited-addition cars that many folks thought would have blower issues or bottom end issues. No one wanted a "Muscle Car" with a 6. At the same time you had the Hurst Olds and the Monte Carlo SS which were also great looking cars but had little performance to back it. Now the GNX is very respected but very few folks were willing to spend a premium on the car initially.