PDA

View Full Version : Marauder - high price AND low quality?

BAD MERC
05-21-2016, 01:38 PM
Before I get flames here, I'd like to compare my two cars and how they compare on problems since I have owned both for over a decade. Both being Ford products. I have a 2004 Marauder, silver with sunroof and heated seats. I have a 2006 Taurus SEL, merlot and highly optioned with everything but leather/sunroof. My Taurus was about $23K new and the Marauder was $38K.

My Taurus has 120K miles on it and I have fixed or replaced struts, brakes/rotors, all fluids/filters, RF wheel hub, lower ball joints (only because it was already apart).

My Marauder has 45K miles I have fixed or replaced all fluids/filters, the HVAC O rings, blend door actuator (Thanks Carfixer!), the fan speed controller, the seat heater switches (once under warranty, once out of pocket, now burned out yet AGAIN), the LCM, the power adjustable pedals (Curless cure), the wiper cowl (under warranty), the upper driver door hinge, the headlight switch doesn't illuminate, the right rear window switch died, driver door lock switch doesn't illuminate, driver door module (driver door wouldn't lock), thermostat, upper ball joints (rubber deterioration), driver door window regulator, gooey steering wheel controls (cleaned per tutorial here).

Both cars are similarly equipped with keypad entry and have the shifter on the floor but my Taurus has stuff the Marauder does NOT have; Rear A/C vents, dimmable vanity lights in the visors, factory dead pedal, puddle lamps, upholstered bottom of trunk lid, bi-level A/C (I love bi-level!), and cabin air filter.

I realize where the root of the Marauder came from but I think a little more effort could have been put in the fit and finish and details of the execution. Don't get me wrong, I love the car and it's intoxicating to drive even after 11 years. I see most of us have had the same gremlins but with a car platform made and sold in such HUGE numbers, you'd think Ford could have worked all the issues out of the electrical systems.

Mr. Man
05-21-2016, 02:40 PM
Seems to me who ever supplied Mercury with the electrical parts is responsible for the shoddy workmanship. I'd guess whoever solders the components could care less if it fails as long as it works when it leaves the factory.
As for the parts that break and wear out in what seems like an unfashionable amount of time, Id say with so many parts in a car and testing only taking place for a set amount of time before the car is released to the public things are bound to turn up. I think Ford should have warrantied the adj. pedals. It took them 10+ years to warranty the LCM. but that is a safety issue so I'm sure they were "encouraged" to fix that issue.

Evan with it's problems the Marauder is the most reliable car we've owned.

tbone
05-21-2016, 04:30 PM
That list doesn't sound all that terrible. Ford has had it's share of quality issues over the years. Paint jobs #1.

daddyusmaximus
05-21-2016, 04:52 PM
Sounds like that could be why Ford did away with the platform. It was a dated design even when new, (03-04) and would have cost quite a bit to bring it up to new car standards. Rear air is one thing my kids wish mine had, but they both drive and seldom ride with me anyway. My dog (service dog) is normally the only one in the car with me. It may lack some of the creature comforts of the newer designs, but it still drives and handles very nice for old technology.

crownvic97
05-21-2016, 06:25 PM
I love the Marauder, warts and all.

8UWITH6
05-21-2016, 06:37 PM
Taurus's are POS's and not worth fixing. Marauder's are a proven platform even with their issues last a very long time with normal repairs. Show me a Taurus with 200K or 300K miles vs a Marauder. We all know the common problems with our cars and deal with it. Why compare it with a vehicle that is not even in the same league? Enjoy the last full size 4 door and keep it on the road. Or sell it and drive your Tore Azz. ;)

WhatsUpDOHC
05-21-2016, 07:02 PM

camelgrundle
05-21-2016, 07:33 PM
Taurus's are POS's and not worth fixing. Marauder's are a proven platform even with their issues last a very long time with normal repairs. Show me a Taurus with 200K or 300K miles vs a Marauder. We all know the common problems with our cars and deal with it. Why compare it with a vehicle that is not even in the same league? Enjoy the last full size 4 door and keep it on the road. Or sell it and drive your Tore Azz. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I respect you and your opinions, however my last Taurus 03 was at 186k miles and only had to replace the fuel pump. Got totaled while parked in a parking lot and had to replace it with a 04 taurus same color with 50k on it, used the money from insurance. Covered the new Taurus in full haha. Tell me where a marauder can do that. I also had to replace my marauders engine while NA at 38k for a rod knock. not hating on these cars which are a passion to me. Just saying that these cars were "thrown" together.

jsignorelli
05-22-2016, 05:20 AM
I took my 2004 SB in for an oil change yesterday at the Ford dealership. The car had been taken out of winter storage on Friday and I spent all day detailing it. As soon as I arrived at the dealership, people were taking selfies with my car. The mechanics were all asking to "work" on my car. It was the first time they saw a Marauder.

]I don't get this response when I take my Fusion in for an oil change.

justbob
05-22-2016, 07:01 AM
Weird. My car hasn't had an easy life and it's been the most "indestructible" car I've ever owned.. Speaking of original equipment, electrical, options, and what not. Stock drivetrain wise, bulletproof even after 50,000 miles of being boosted. I only removed the engine to up the ponies, the trans to go manual, and the rear to handle the increased load. All stock pieces removed in good working order at 92,000 miles.

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk

fastblackmerc
05-22-2016, 07:54 AM
There are vents in the bottom rear of the center console for "rear A/C".

As for the electrical problems it's not the component manufacture's problem, they only build to the specs given to them.

Mr. Man
05-22-2016, 11:19 AM
There are vents in the bottom rear of the center console for "rear A/C".

As for the electrical problems it's not the component manufacture's problem, they only build to the specs given to them.
True, but the specs for the LED's through out the car also call for the dummy soldering them to do the job correctly. It's not like the panther platform is a rattle trap.

fastblackmerc
05-22-2016, 12:03 PM
True, but the specs for the LED's through out the car also call for the dummy soldering them to do the job correctly. It's not like the panther platform is a rattle trap.

I'd assume that the printed circuit panels the LEDs are soldered to, like the window switches, were by machine on an assembly line.

RF Overlord
05-22-2016, 01:21 PM
@the OP: I'm not discounting your experience, but on the other side of the coin, there's Bunny's car, with almost 200k and other than normal maintenance items, it's had an RAS compressor, an alternator, both lower ball joints...and even those can be considered "normal" for a car with that many miles...

...oh yeah, I forgot the ride height sensor.

sailsmen
05-22-2016, 02:14 PM
A factor is the quality of all cars has increased over time, 2 model years can make a difference.

Bluerauder
05-22-2016, 02:37 PM
A factor is the quality of all cars has increased over time, 2 model years can make a difference.

This ^^^^^ is probably true as a generalized statement. However, my 2012 Taurus SHO has had four recalls in four years. The first was the electronic controls and programming on the radiator fan. Next were the failures of the inside door handles (plastic parts failed). There was a major recall for steering electronics and finally was poor quality lighting fixtures for the rear license plate that would corrode and short out. Fortunately, it seems I missed the Takata Airbag fiasco ..... so far. In almost all cases, it seems to be linked to poor quality parts being provided by the suppliers rather than any inherent design flaw.

Oh yeah, the Motorcraft Battery BXT 65-650 (same as the Marauder) failed in just less than 3 years in the Taurus SHO. Maybe I just got a weak battery from the get go on this or maybe there is more of a drain on the battery from all the electronic crap in the Taurus. My son's Taurus SEL also gets about 3 years on a battery that lasts 7-8 years in a Marauder.

1Marauder
05-22-2016, 06:22 PM
Can't compare apples and pears.

sailsmen
05-22-2016, 07:01 PM
The cars we had in the 1970's were POS all around.

The 1980's were barely acceptable.

The 1990's better but still not excellent.

The 2000's is when I first thought about using the car before I thought about all the broken stuff on the car.

We now freak out if over the life of the car a hand full of things break!

8UWITH6
05-23-2016, 12:39 PM
I am going to buy a Taurus and boost it.

kirk
05-23-2016, 01:08 PM
Seems to me who ever supplied Mercury with the electrical parts is responsible for the shoddy workmanship. I'd guess whoever solders the components could care less if it fails as long as it works when it leaves the factory.

As pointed out, they're done on an assembly line, but I'd like to know what percentage of the people who've had electronics problems park their cars outside or in environments where the temperature inside the car changes drastically. These temperature changes (-20 to 140F) could be playing hell with the solder joints (not just cars, but any electronics).

I've not had any electronic component issues with my car after 14 years and 50K miles, but then it sees relatively constant temperatures year round.

It would be an interesting topic for statistical analysis.

ChiTownMaraud3r
05-23-2016, 01:45 PM
I'm going to have to agree, I feel like for the money charged, the end product wasn't spectacular. I mean the blistering roof only several years into ownership... really? My car has under 22k miles and almost all the door window and heated seat lights do not work, had to have the roof sanded and painted and as far as features nothing spectacular. No trip meter, no locking fuel door, stock sound system stinks...
Maybe I'm just mad because I need to pass emissions in a week and my car fails at life.

8UWITH6
05-23-2016, 07:21 PM
I'm going to have to agree, I feel like for the money charged, the end product wasn't spectacular. I mean the blistering roof only several years into ownership... really? My car has under 22k miles and almost all the door window and heated seat lights do not work, had to have the roof sanded and painted and as far as features nothing spectacular. No trip meter, no locking fuel door, stock sound system stinks...
Maybe I'm just mad because I need to pass emissions in a week and my car fails at life.

Drive your Mustang and shuddup ;)

ChiTownMaraud3r
05-23-2016, 07:48 PM
Drive your Mustang and shuddup ;)

I will :burnout:
But I guess it's an original owner's type a thing :rolleyes:

Bigdogjim
05-23-2016, 08:19 PM
Well 84XXX miles 13 years just replaced front pads, rotors, rear pads only:):):)

8UWITH6
05-23-2016, 08:27 PM
I will :burnout:
But I guess it's an original owner's type a thing :rolleyes:

I have a buddy looking for a Marauder. Is your car for sale? ;) :beer: Pacifico!

ChiTownMaraud3r
05-23-2016, 08:31 PM
I have a buddy looking for a Marauder. Is your car for sale? ;) :beer: Pacifico!

Everything's always for sale :D Don't think anyone would be willing to pay what I would need to part with it though. Getting the car tuned actually to pass emissions. And have the eaton dialed in.

Pacifico sounds good right about now. :beer:

8UWITH6
05-23-2016, 08:34 PM
Everything's always for sale :D Don't think anyone would be willing to pay what I would need to part with it though. Getting the car tuned actually to pass emissions. And have the eaton dialed in.

Pacifico sounds good right about now. :beer:

There is the passion I am looking for buddy.

L.Mark
05-24-2016, 11:51 AM
The cars we had in the 1970's were POS all around.

The 1980's were barely acceptable.

The 1990's better but still not excellent.

The 2000's is when I first thought about using the car before I thought about all the broken stuff on the car.

We now freak out if over the life of the car a hand full of things break!

Beg to differ...

Had a 77 granada, passed it on to my Parents, racked up 200,000+ miles of daily driving, regular maintnance...

I have had a 79 Mark V since 92 which I bought with 119,000 miles, now 156,000 only regular issues...

I have had a 92 Mark VII DDsince 97 now with 165,000 miles, only regular maintenance. And only replaced a height sensor on the air ride...

Had an 87 and 88 Cougar XR-7 DDs, no issues
Dad has an 87 Anniversary Cougar, regular maintenance...

Had a 91 Formula Firebird DD no issues

My DD Marauder has 128xxx miles, regular maintenance...

There are lemons in every brand, including Toyotas and Hondas..

tbone
05-24-2016, 12:32 PM
72 Olds Cutlass S and 76 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon were the best cars I have ever owned. Nothing ever went wrong with them. High miles too. German cars of that era are crap. I owned 2. My 86 Mazda 626 was tinny and so so quality. New 88 Dodge Daytona Shelby was great. 96 Chevy Blazer and 98 Pontiac Transport were horrible junkers bought new. Bad in every way imaginable. 2 late 90's, early 2000's Dodge trucks and 2 Chrysler minivans were just fine. 1990 Firebird Formula 350 was just ok. Paint was horrific. Fit and finish done by blind pygmies. Rattle trap.

Bradley G
05-24-2016, 02:06 PM
My only other new car other than the Marauder, was a 1983 Dodge Shelby Charger.
I had it six years , paid it off, got married had twin daughters.
Sold it for a Pontiac Parisenne wagon.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

sailsmen
05-24-2016, 09:16 PM
My Father oversaw a fleet of 30 cars all different makes and models from Detroit in the 1970's. By the time they reached 40,000 miles most were traded in because they were worn out.

I spent a lot of time hot rodding and fixing cars in the 1970's.
We would marvel at how bad the OEM parts were in comparison to the after market replacements.

It wasn't unusual for OEM mechanical parts to fall off the cars. A Tornado dumped a bunch of ball bearings in the driveway.
An Olds Dealer took back a brand new car because it was so messed up. The Dealer suspected the car had been sabotaged.
Vapor lock and dieseling were regular occurrences.

No comparison in quality or durability of todays cars.