PDA

View Full Version : Elio , first encounter!

Bradley G
05-22-2016, 01:31 PM
Tina and I drove to Woodfield mall , to see and feel the Elio today.
They had six representatives from the company on hand to field the questions from the public.
I have to say, I was very impressed with the vehicle.
The room for the driver is great.
The passenger space is small, and Tina did not last five seconds in the back seat, and cried to be released.
In fairness, the vehicle will support two occupants but 6'1 or 6'2 is about tops, for two tall people to ride together.
I did not attempt the back seat, but I don't want to ride back there anyway.
I understand from one of the representatives, the turbo version being tinkered with , takes the craft from 9 second 0-60 to sub 5's .
He told me they raced 10 of the Elios on the track together @ speeds reaching 90 mph .
And of course someone is already preparing to power one with the Hiabusa ,

Bradley G
05-22-2016, 01:50 PM
Me inside feeling good about the fit!

Bradley G
05-22-2016, 01:53 PM
Tina likes the front seat

Bradley G
05-22-2016, 02:04 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160522/feb2c7d5a3c310d2a837bc978b661a 04.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160522/0d078734693b34c74960400bd237cf cc.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160522/f057dd33b93f5b49a2b10dfb95c157 7f.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160522/d39553e38dd28f622f673ec7ad4ad0 3b.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160522/911d73d8fe71a46beee7e015394d7c 7f.jpg

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Pat
05-22-2016, 02:48 PM
The height of the car seems to be lower than a man astride a motor cycle. Who can see you? Especially in a parking lot or next to a truck or SUV. I have a bad feeling about this car from a personal safety point of view. Vehicles changing lanes in traffic would pose a significant threat of running over an Elio.

Bradley did you get a chance to broach this concern with the ELIO people?

slickster
05-22-2016, 03:29 PM
Busa!!! I'll take it:burnout:

Bradley G
05-22-2016, 03:37 PM
The height of the car seems to be lower than a man astride a motor cycle. Who can see you? Especially in a parking lot or next to a truck or SUV. I have a bad feeling about this car from a personal safety point of view. Vehicles changing lanes in traffic would pose a significant threat of running over an Elio.

Bradley did you get a chance to broach this concern with the ELIO people?
No, I have heard that concern voiced early on.
The concesus was a flag pole can be added to the vehicle , to make it more visible.

CoreyM75
05-22-2016, 03:53 PM
No, I have heard that concern voiced early on.
The concesus was a flag pole can be added to the vehicle , to make it more visible.

I didn't know that a flag pole could stop a f150. It still looks like a coffin with wheels to me.

Bradley G
05-22-2016, 03:55 PM
I didn't know that a flag pole could stop a f150. It still looks like a coffin with wheels to me.
The F-150 is the same coffin if you get hit by a bus!

Turbov6Bryan
05-22-2016, 04:01 PM

+1

Hit a pothole on the freeway and send yourself straight to the ER

If you buy that death trap, update your life insurance policy.... :)

tbone
05-22-2016, 04:47 PM
No more dangerous than a motorcycle or one of those dumb Bombardier trikes.

RF Overlord
05-22-2016, 05:11 PM
He told me they raced 10 of the Elios on the track togetherI didn't think they had even built that many...

While I'm happy that there are more American car manufacturers starting up, and I hope they all make it, I can't get past the looks of this thing...it's really awful.

crownvic97
05-22-2016, 07:16 PM
That's very interesting, not my cup of tea but 84 mpg would be sweet!

lji372
05-22-2016, 07:25 PM
I think this would be a neat local commuter vehicle. To and from work and errands.
I still believe it will never make the ever changing production date. But, if and when it does something tells me the 84mpg and the $6800 price tag will both be out the window.

I still hope they make them, I think they're neat....

sailsmen
05-22-2016, 07:58 PM
Less dangerous than a 1972 Beetle or a Pinto.

I hear those IS IS guys have been buying up Pintos for top dollar.

justbob
05-22-2016, 08:08 PM
I get a lot of stares at every light I roll up to. Stares from pissed off people at the racket, stares from the ones who think it's broke, and by the ones who totally know what's going on and really dig it.

All of which I kinda dig. But I have a feeling I wouldn't much appreciate the stares I'd get sitting in that thing..

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk

guspech750
05-22-2016, 09:21 PM
WTF is an Elio? Transgender sex toy?

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

Bad_S55
05-23-2016, 05:12 AM
I think this would be a neat local commuter vehicle. To and from work and errands.

You would last 2 miles before you'd get bored and want boost.

CoreyM75
05-23-2016, 02:36 PM
The F-150 is the same coffin if you get hit by a bus!

There will always be larger vehicles than a pickup, but not too many. Every other vehicle on the road will be significantly larger than a Elio. Which is what makes that car so dangerous. A Smart car looks like a tank compared to an Elio. At least with most motorcycles they have loud pipes and the riders are more aware of thier surroundings, an Elio driver is going to act like they are safe and belong on the road with other cars, trucks, etc.

Bradley G
05-23-2016, 02:43 PM
There will always be larger vehicles than a pickup, but not too many. Every other vehicle on the road will be significantly larger than a Elio. Which is what makes that car so dangerous. A Smart car looks like a tank compared to an Elio. At least with most motorcycles they have loud pipes and the riders are more aware of thier surroundings, an Elio driver is going to act like they are safe and belong on the road with other cars, trucks, etc.
That's funny you say that!
You obviously are not from Chicago!
The cement trucks pass me @75

ChiTownMaraud3r
05-23-2016, 03:12 PM
That's funny you say that!
You obviously are not from Chicago!
The cement trucks pass me @75

This is why I have to do 95 on the sport bike when trying to take it easy, to keep these asshats at bay.

Bradley G
05-23-2016, 03:27 PM
So 95 is safer on two wheels than a projected 5 star enclosed vehicle on three?

CoreyM75
05-23-2016, 04:18 PM

How on earth is that thing going to get a five star crash rating? There's about three inches of crumple zone on the front end, and nothing between the driver and the road on the sides except for a thin door.

Turbov6Bryan
05-23-2016, 05:57 PM

5 star. Lmao. Maybe if it hits a dog or cat

Do the Math, 30 mph elio head on to 30 mph oncoming vehicle, no diversion to side after impact like smart car testing

It's like a yugo, death awaits you!

I don't understand the attraction of idiots wanting a cheap high gas mileage car, you sacrifice your life for a few mpgs and stuff your body into a tin can

Either walk, ride a motorcycle, or get a tesla.

Those outboard front wheels, lmao, slight impact with a grocery cart and its totaled, have some dignity for gods sake

Pat
05-23-2016, 06:16 PM
I'm not an idiot Turbov6Bryan, so don't call me names.

I've challenged the Elio promotional claims because they are not realistic.

My proposed use for the car is a grocery getter in my neighborhood, speeds 35-45Mph. The MPG is not an important issue in my application but the price for the vehicle is, $6800.00 when the ads first came out now it's just a target price. The closest competitor is a least twice as much. The cargo carrying capability is another plus for me. Also shielded from the rain.

I'm disappointed to say that the delays and my physical condition will probably preclude me from owning one. I was so looking forward to it too.

Turbov6Bryan
05-23-2016, 08:23 PM
Buy a 2000.00 Camry Cheap insurance, good gas mileage, reliable

Not a death trap

True story

CoreyM75
05-23-2016, 08:47 PM
I'm not an idiot Turbov6Bryan, so don't call me names.

I've challenged the Elio promotional claims because they are not realistic.

My proposed use for the car is a grocery getter in my neighborhood, speeds 35-45Mph. The MPG is not an important issue in my application but the price for the vehicle is, $6800.00 when the ads first came out now it's just a target price. The closest competitor is a least twice as much. The cargo carrying capability is another plus for me. Also shielded from the rain.

I'm disappointed to say that the delays and my physical condition will probably preclude me from owning one. I was so looking forward to it too.

Maybe I missed something, but I don't see anyone calling anyone else an idiot, at least in this thread.

For 6800.00, there are a ton of used cars that are way, way safer to drive and own than one of these Elio's. The only way to buy one and have it make sense is to use it as a commuter car where mileage is the most important thing. Any other reason doesn't make sense to spend over seven grand when a cheap fuel efficient car could do all that an Elio's could without completely sacrificing safety. This car is essentially a Can Am Spyder with a roof and doors.

8UWITH6
05-23-2016, 08:55 PM
Buy whatever you want. Hope you don't die for MPG. I will put my family and I in one of the safest vehicle's ever produced. Oh and enjoy every minute of driving it sideways in a cloud of smoke (eaton car of course). No disrespect just opinion.

Pat
05-24-2016, 05:23 AM
For the reasons I stated above plus the fact that the Elio just appealed to me I wanted one.

I don't need a second car, but the Elio had a certain "Je Ne Sais Quoi".

My Marauder has been reassigned as a DD for my son, the Honda mech, he takes such good care of it and loves the car. I just can't see it sitting in the driveway, it has 130k miles and all the ususal things that fail have been fixed.

So we are left with the wife'a SUV, a KIA Sorrento, and that serves our needs.

Life does take it's twists and turns.

Bradley G
05-24-2016, 07:27 AM
If I wanted a Camry , I would have one.
I like this little craft, and dimes to dollars, everyone with negative comments, has not checked it out.
That's OK!
They may never come to market, I have a week to decide if I'm going to up my aunty.

Gryphonzus
05-24-2016, 07:44 AM
I say if you like it and enjoy it then by all means get it. I rode motorcycles for 30 or more years and have had more serious wrecks in cars than on my motorcycles. Just keep the rubber side down!!

Bradley G
05-24-2016, 07:48 AM
How on earth is that thing going to get a five star crash rating? There's about three inches of crumple zone on the front end, and nothing between the driver and the road on the sides except for a thin door.
The wheelbase is over three feet longer than the smart car, over a foot wider in stance .
Has airbags, ABS , SIDE intrusion beams , traction control.
Thanks all for your safety concerns!

Bradley G
05-24-2016, 12:58 PM
Buy a 2000.00 Camry Cheap insurance, good gas mileage, reliable

Not a death trap

True story
Dignity is found in driving a POS Camry?
Tell me more!

justbob
05-24-2016, 01:50 PM
The wheelbase is over three feet longer than the smart car, over a foot wider in stance .
Has airbags, ABS , SIDE intrusion beams , traction control.
Thanks all for your safety concerns!

"Over a foot wider stance"

Is that before or after you average out the front and rear? [emoji4]

Bradley G
05-24-2016, 01:58 PM
"Over a foot wider stance"

Is that before or after you average out the front and rear? [emoji4]

You got no rear!
What the hell are you worried about?
The three foot longer wheelbase, and setting close to the ground is got to be a safety feature .
If you put big power to it, I'd be all about the wheelbase and seat position!