PDA

View Full Version : Death of a Legend

1stMerc
06-03-2016, 09:57 PM
Rip in peace Muhammad, Thanks for the memories.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/muhammad-ali-greatest-all-time-dead-74-n584776?cid=eml_nbn_20160603

Turbov6Bryan
06-03-2016, 10:21 PM
Breaking news for me, just paused a movie to check this site....

Can't believe he is gone

Truly a sad day for most

Pat
06-04-2016, 03:58 AM
I hadn't realized he had taken so much punishment during his boxing career. "move like a butterfly, sting like a bee". I had in mind that he was invincible.

RIP.

1Marauder
06-04-2016, 10:00 AM
Years ago we had two Chinese international transfer students staying with us for four weeks. They spoke very little English (and were the smartest damn people I've ever met) and had great attitudes after comming out of the repression for women/girls in China.

We had a big fusball table in my game room and the girls, my two boys and I held many great fusball (spellcheck) games/matches.

During one of these now infamous matches, I was playing goalie, and I scored from the goalie position!

I slapped my own face and yelled, "I AM SO PRETTY!" Impersonating ALI... And the girls went speechless... As they couldn't translate it. We went to the computer and they looked up ALI in Chinese (I didn't know they could do that), and they watched and listened and laughed.

Back to the game, when someone scored they would yell, "You are so pretty!" Because culturally they would never boast or compliment themselves. I had to finally correct them - so they would yell, "I'm so pretty!"

A day later, I found them over the computer -- they were watching and learning all about ALI. Watching and laughing and commenting and trying to speak like him.

Amazingly- he touched these young Chinese women, and made the BETTER at being proud of who they were.

RIP ALI

daddyusmaximus
06-04-2016, 03:54 PM
Draft dodger who made a living beating the snot out of guys for money, then called himself a conscientious objector when his country needed him...

jerrym3
06-04-2016, 04:57 PM
I was never much of a boxing fan, but I remember seeing Anthony Quinn and Mickey Rooney in a film about an aging boxer (Quinn). Requiem For a Heavyweight.

In the opening of the movie, as seen from the perspective of Quinn, he's fighting a boxer who has hands, speed, and whatever else it takes to be a great boxer, like I've never seen before. Unbelievable, even for a non-fan.

It was Clay.

dohc324ci
06-04-2016, 10:05 PM
RIP the GOAT!

MMBLUE
06-05-2016, 07:49 AM
Draft dodger who made a living beating the snot out of guys for money, then called himself a conscientious objector when his country needed him...

I'm with you on this. Not my favorite guy. The more I learn about him the more I dislike him.