PDA

View Full Version : extended warranty dispute

Pat
06-09-2016, 05:32 PM
Need some advice. I'm about to call my extended warranty provider to dispute a claim I've made, first time claim.

The company is the "Foresight Protection Plan", an expensive plan and I got their top of the line option.

How does one argue one's claim. Do these companies routinely deny claims and make you jump through hoops to wring anything out of them?

The claim is for about $600.00 parts and labor. A Variable Induction Control Actuator is the part that's needed, so the KIA service manager says.

Thanks,

Pat

88grandmarq
06-09-2016, 06:03 PM
have you read the warranty? is it an warranty or an extended service contract?

Pat
06-09-2016, 06:06 PM
It's called a "Mechanical Breakdown Service Contract".

88grandmarq
06-09-2016, 06:18 PM
sent you a PM

justbob
06-09-2016, 06:29 PM
Aftermarket warranty or Factory extended? I know with the aftermarket ones they can make it a real PITA.. They have gone as far as delaying a repair till their own adjuster can verify it at the repair place to find root cause..

It happened with the clutches in the rear of my Marauder at 40,000 miles. I had to agree to pay out of pocket if found to be negligence. I won.

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk

sailsmen
06-09-2016, 07:45 PM
As stated read the contract and make certain you adhere to the terms.

I only purchase from the MFG or the Dealers Assn.

Many forget to cancel the plan when they sell to get back a return.

Pat
06-09-2016, 08:09 PM
I've read the contract, 9 pages of close typed text. Understanding it is another matter.
I bought it through my local dealer but they don't have anything to do with how the plan is administered, just sell the product.

My reading of the contract is that they should pay. I'll get their take on the matter tomorrow when I call.

I've done everything the contract requires, sooooo we'll see.

sailsmen
06-09-2016, 08:22 PM
Then have the car repaired at the dealer who sold you the contract.

Charge it on a CC. If you feel they ripped you off file a charge dispute with your cc.

I have disputed charges a number of times and have prevailed every time.
Example I bought hours for a trac phone that could not be added to the phone account despite numerous attempts by me and their techs.

Pat
06-09-2016, 08:54 PM
It is being repaired at the dealer who sold me the contract.

Pat
06-10-2016, 07:47 AM
The plot thickens.

The problem is one of definition. KIA say's the part is not a drive train item and thus not covered under the 100,000 mile warrantry.. The extended maintenance contract by FPP say's it is and thus not covered by FPP. A catch 22.

My task is to bring the FPP in line with the factory definition. That will take some doing.

But I'm retired with time on my hands so let the pestering of FPP begin.

Fastbob
06-10-2016, 07:52 AM
The variable induction actuator might be covered under the emissions warranty. Not sure of the year or mileage on your vehicle.

88grandmarq
06-10-2016, 08:19 AM
what is the failure they are reporting? is it electronically failed? is it mechanically failed? are their DTCs stored? is it failed from a non mechanical source? (ie, stuck from carbon build up)

Mr. Man
06-10-2016, 09:02 AM
The variable induction actuator might be covered under the emissions warranty. Not sure of the year or mileage on your vehicle.
Considering what it does this seems reasonable^^^^

The Variable Induction Control (VIC) solenoid is an ON/OFF type of solenoid which switches the pressure introduced to the VIC vacuum actuator between intake manifold pressure and atmospheric pressure. Battery positive voltage is supplied to the VIC solenoid via the MFI relay. When the ECM turns the power transistor inside the module on, current flows in the solenoid coil and the negative pressure inside of the intake manifold is introduced to the VIC vacuum actuator. This causes the VIC vacuum actuator to operate and close the control solenoid.

Pat
06-10-2016, 09:16 AM
The good news is that KIA has decided to absorb the bill except for the $100.00 deductible.

I will still pursue the catch 22 angle because there may be more parts like this that could affect future claims by me or others.

Being such a faithful customer and paying full price for a top of the line KIA SUV surely had something to do with it, right?

I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

The KIA service manager, Beth, went the extra mile for me and took the matter up to headquarters.

Don't know the technical aspects of the failure, but there was an MIL set.

The cost of repair was very high, in excess of $600.00, that's why I was so concerned.

Pat
06-14-2016, 10:25 PM
KIA honored their agreement with me, the car is repaired, gratis, KIA calls it goodwill warranty and they are going after the extended contract company to bring them into line or they will stop selling their product.

The finance/warranty manager at KIA said that the 100,000 mile drive train warranty covers parts that are fed by oil; the engine, tranny and rear end. Hyundai say's same thing. All those pieces on top of the motor are warrantied to 60,000 miles.

Don't know why the Foreskin Protection Plan people have to be different but KIA is going to try and find out.

Happy and back on the road.

Zack
06-15-2016, 05:53 AM
KIA honored their agreement with me, the car is repaired, gratis, KIA calls it goodwill warranty and they are going after the extended contract company to bring them into line or they will stop selling their product.

The finance/warranty manager at KIA said that the 100,000 mile drive train warranty covers parts that are fed by oil; the engine, tranny and rear end. Hyundai say's same thing. All those pieces on top of the motor are warrantied to 60,000 miles.

Don't know why the Foreskin Protection Plan people have to be different but KIA is going to try and find out.

Happy and back on the road.

My foreskin protection plan ended shortly after birth.

Bluerauder
06-15-2016, 06:17 AM

Probably has something to do with the deductible. ;)

Pat
07-20-2016, 12:02 PM
To close out this episode on a happy note. The Warranty manager at KIA informed me today that KIA will guarantee my SUV will be covered, parts and labor for any warranty claims regardless of what Foreskin Protection Plan does.

He said "we are a family owned business and will do whatever it takes to make the customer happy."

How sweet it is. I see another KIA in Patricia's and my future.

RF Overlord
07-20-2016, 06:30 PM
My foreskin protection plan ended shortly after birth.Zack, I didn't know you were Jewish... ;)

MERCMAN
07-21-2016, 02:51 AM
To close out this episode on a happy note. The Warranty manager at KIA informed me today that KIA will guarantee my SUV will be covered, parts and labor for any warranty claims regardless of what Foreskin Protection Plan does.

He said "we are a family owned business and will do whatever it takes to make the customer happy."

How sweet it is. I see another KIA in Patricia's and my future.

Did you tell them to keep the tip?:banana2:

lji372
07-21-2016, 07:18 AM
were are the moderators when needed :P

:D :D :D

MERCMAN
07-21-2016, 07:31 AM
do you mean where??