PDA

View Full Version : Extended warranty woth the $$ or not?

stock93cv
05-20-2004, 10:32 AM
I did a search but didn't turn up anything in this forum (I think this is the right forum, apologies if not).
In Canada, only a couple of outfits offer extended warranties. One is FoMoCo, another is 1sourceautowarranty.
Anybody have experience with either? Any opinions as to whether an extended warranty is worth the money? With the MM being a limited-run unit with a DOHC, I am thinking that it might suffer from engine or tranny problems down the road (e.g., the 7-8 overheating issue), and that an EW might be a good idea.
So, experiences? Value? Comments?
Thanks.
Stock93 (which I just sold [well, practically gave away]!!, but which I had since new; it was a super ride and will always be dear to my heart :bigcry: ]).

stock93cv
05-20-2004, 07:33 PM
Wowzzers! Ain't nobody bought or have rejected an extended warranty??
No opinions or comments?

MarauderMark
05-20-2004, 07:57 PM
Well i'm not from canada but i did buy an extended warranty 7 year at that for a price of $1,300.00 from the place i bought the car from which would've covered the whole drivetrainplus ohter parts But now i've done some much to my car that it aint worth having it now so i will cancel it and more than likly get more 3/4 of what i paid back ..i mean why keep it..Hope this info helps ya..

cruzer
05-20-2004, 08:47 PM
Well, everyone has their own opinion, my experience with FOMOCO Premium 100,000/6 yr warranties has been excellent. I have had it on m'92 Grand Marquis, '95 Crown Vic,'99 Grand Marquis and now my Marauder. all but the Marauder are presently over 100,000 miles. I am way ahead on cost vs. return. I've had an engine replaced at 88,000 (tranny and diff were also upgraded at that time), complete a/c system (compressor internal failure--upgraded to new freon at no cost to me),new alternator, new radiator, 2 passenger window activators, complete brake replacement (improper installation of discs) and more minor repairs than I can remember. Since I pass my cars down to kids and grandkids, I keep them in top shape--I couldn't be happier with my warranty experience with L/M FOMOCO. :up:

junehhan
05-20-2004, 09:39 PM
Normally, i'm very skeptical about extended warranties. However, I think I would recommend one for the Marauder, mainly due to the fact that it's a limited production vehicle, with parts that are probably going to be limited in production as well(i.e engine). I bought the 6yr/100k premiumcare Ford ESP at the time of purchase.

Murader03
05-21-2004, 12:36 AM
I went with the FMC Exyended Warranty (4yr. 100K). The car overheated in Febraury with a stuck thermosat. Had to be delivered to the dealer on the back of a roolback as I shut it down before I thought any damage was done. Cost $50 (deductible) for that repair. The car started to miss in April and I finally got it to the dealer opn 4/20. Got the car back on 5/12 after a new engine was installed. Seems the overheat, although engine was shut down prior to melt down, suffered internal valve and cylinder damage. Guess which cyclinder were the problem? Yep, number 4 and 8! They replaced the engine under warranty. The dealer also had to replace the windshield as they left the car sit in 90 degree weather with the windows up, cracked the windshield. Best money I ever spent for the warranty, and at the $50 deductible, good bang for the buck on a new engine and windshield. Now I've got a 53K mile car with a newly remanfactured engine......

Patrick
05-21-2004, 12:45 AM
All depends on what mods you are planning to do! If you are planning on doing alot then I would not waste the money! Just my 2 cents!

hitchhiker
05-21-2004, 01:04 AM
I did a search but didn't turn up anything in this forum (I think this is the right forum, apologies if not).
In Canada, only a couple of outfits offer extended warranties. One is FoMoCo, another is 1sourceautowarranty.
Anybody have experience with either? Any opinions as to whether an extended warranty is worth the money? With the MM being a limited-run unit with a DOHC, I am thinking that it might suffer from engine or tranny problems down the road (e.g., the 7-8 overheating issue), and that an EW might be a good idea.
So, experiences? Value? Comments?
Thanks.
Stock93 (which I just sold [well, practically gave away]!!, but which I had since new; it was a super ride and will always be dear to my heart :bigcry: ]).
ALUMINUM V8 and fast driving!

Need I say more!

Get the extended warranty - It's a bargain. :up:

Best Regards,

jaywish
05-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Here is a phone # for you. 1-860-309-4788

I got the best price on a LMC extended warranty from them.

Found the site in an old post here on MM.net

stock93cv
05-21-2004, 10:48 AM
Many thanks to all who replied. Sounds as though the extended warranty is the way to go (no mods coming my way, unfortunately [SWMBO would kill me]) and up here we really only have the choice of the FoMoCo warranty through the dealer, or the 1sourceautowarranty. 1source seems to have pretty good reviews, and I think it includes more "wear-and-tear" coverage than the FMC warranty. Have to do a bit more digging, but I am leaning toward 1source at this point.
Thanks again. :up:

stock93cv
05-21-2004, 10:49 AM
Oh, yaeh---SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed :bows: .

junehhan
05-21-2004, 09:34 PM
Oh, yaeh---SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed :bows: .

How about doing the mods and just not telling her? I imagine she probably wouldn't notice any changes like gears, chips, or UDP's, right?

stevengerard
05-21-2004, 09:57 PM
I almost never buy the extended warrenties, I didn't this time either. If time comes when the base warranty is going to expire and I feel I will keep the car a few years longer than I will buy it. It may cost a little more later on but the dollar always cost lest in the future. I did buy one for my 93 5-speed SHO since I bought it used, which came in handy. My issue is I'm betting I won't be able to resist a S/Cer thus voiding the warranty anyway.