PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Explorer - Wouldn't Start

crouse
08-12-2016, 06:14 AM
I'd post this on the Ford Explorer forum, but all those guys do is take their cars to the dealer.

My wife took her 2013 Ford Explorer to the grocery store last night. She calls and says it won't start, it just clicks. So I jump it and when we get home, I shut it off and it starts right up. This morning, it started just fine. I'll check the connections to the battery tonight. The battery is the original battery and the vehicle went into service in March of 2012, so it's about 4 years old. I hate to buy a new battery. I suppose I could have it tested.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Curt

Bluerauder
08-12-2016, 06:54 AM
I'd post this on the Ford Explorer forum, but all those guys do is take their cars to the dealer.

My wife took her 2013 Ford Explorer to the grocery store last night. She calls and says it won't start, it just clicks. So I jump it and when we get home, I shut it off and it starts right up. This morning, it started just fine. I'll check the connections to the battery tonight. The battery is the original battery and the vehicle went into service in March of 2012, so it's about 4 years old. I hate to buy a new battery. I suppose I could have it tested.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Curt

I had a similar problem last Thanksgiving Day. My 2012 Ford Taurus SHO that went into service in February 2012 wouldn't start ... just clicking. Weak battery. Was surprised since it was the same BXT-65-650 that is in the Marauder that lasted 8 years. Replaced the battery and it has been OK ever since. The newer cars seem to have more of a battery drain due to all the damn electronics.

Zack
08-12-2016, 07:58 AM
Buy a battery

crouse
08-12-2016, 10:56 AM
Agreed. A new Motorcraft is about $120.

Spectragod
08-13-2016, 05:53 AM
Bad cell in battery

Ambitious1
08-13-2016, 05:57 AM
Agreed. A new Motorcraft is about $120.

***This***

Yes, sounds like you need a new battery.

crouse
08-13-2016, 08:09 AM
My wife said that when she came out of the grocery store, the lights were on. Trying to figure out how that could be. I has push button start, so you have to put your foot on the brake then push the start button. Then you push the start button again to shut it off. If you just push the start button without putting your foot on the brake, the dash turns on like when you turn your key to the on position without starting the car. So I'm wondering if that's what she did? Seems strange it wouldn't shut down after a certain period of time. I'm going to have to do some testing maybe when it gets dark and see what happens.

fastblackmerc
08-13-2016, 08:21 AM
Needs a new battery. Your lucky to get 4 years out of the original.

Spectragod
08-13-2016, 11:37 AM
My wife said that when she came out of the grocery store, the lights were on. Trying to figure out how that could be. I has push button start, so you have to put your foot on the brake then push the start button. Then you push the start button again to shut it off. If you just push the start button without putting your foot on the brake, the dash turns on like when you turn your key to the on position without starting the car. So I'm wondering if that's what she did? Seems strange it wouldn't shut down after a certain period of time. I'm going to have to do some testing maybe when it gets dark and see what happens.

A bad battery in some of these late models will make them do freaky things....

1Marauder
08-13-2016, 12:28 PM
A bad battery in some of these late models will make them do freaky things....

THIS^^^^^

And further, with most push buttons starter cars, if she turned the car off and then accidently pushed it again as you wrote/surmised above--the car alights and then stays that way.

Ding....

Ding.....

Ding.....