PDA

View Full Version : Airbag module programming

Henry
08-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Does anybody know of any scan/diagnostic programmers that can reprogram the vin into a srs/air bag module? The car is a 2004 crown Vic. I Know it's a long shot but I sent the module out to get reset however, it was unable to be repaired. They said its a .5% chance a module is unrepairable, lucky me. The company sold me a reset module extremely cheap but it will need the vin programmed back into it. I have access to autoenginuity and snap on scan tools. I know the dealer can do it, but if I can do it myself with my tools or the purchase of a new scanner I'll be better off in the long run. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

fastblackmerc
08-19-2016, 12:23 PM
Does anybody know of any scan/diagnostic programmers that can reprogram the vin into a srs/air bag module? The car is a 2004 crown Vic. I Know it's a long shot but I sent the module out to get reset however, it was unable to be repaired. They said its a .5% chance a module is unrepairable, lucky me. The company sold me a reset module extremely cheap but it will need the vin programmed back into it. I have access to autoenginuity and snap on scan tools. I know the dealer can do it, but if I can do it myself with my tools or the purchase of a new scanner I'll be better off in the long run. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

First place I'd look is the web sites for your autoenginuity and snap on scan tools.

Zack
08-19-2016, 01:48 PM
Good luck.
Ford could not reprogram mine or 'reset' it after my collision.

Turbov6Bryan
08-19-2016, 03:14 PM
So.... If a guy has a wrecked marauder without blown airbags, it would be best to sell the PCM with the airbag computer as a matched set?

Just wondering

Spectragod
08-19-2016, 06:09 PM
So.... If a guy has a wrecked marauder without blown airbags, it would be best to sell the PCM with the airbag computer as a matched set?

Just wondering

Not really, in Ford's eyes, it is a module, and must match the other modules by VIN. A Ford IDS is what the OP needs, problem is the $600 a year license fee, on top of the cost of the hard parts. A dealer is your best bet in this case.

Turbov6Bryan
08-19-2016, 07:37 PM
Not really, in Ford's eyes, it is a module, and must match the other modules by VIN. A Ford IDS is what the OP needs, problem is the $600 a year license fee, on top of the cost of the hard parts. A dealer is your best bet in this case.

What other modules do you speak of? PCM to airbag "module" that's tied to PCM vin. What else is there?

Say you wreck your car, blow the bags and insurance says its totaled

You want to fix it..... Zack answered the question,... What do you do??????

Henry
08-19-2016, 08:29 PM
After searching for a few hours it is possible to use the autoenginuity to program the module however, like spectragod said I must have a the ford IDS licensing. The price I found was $875 a year. A one time investment wouldn't be bad but yearly is rough. For the 2-3 cars I fix a year that have the bags blown it'll be more cost effective to take a day off work and trailer them to the dealer to get programmed.

Zack
08-19-2016, 08:45 PM
They could not do it even with IDS

Spectragod
08-20-2016, 06:19 AM
What other modules do you speak of? PCM to airbag "module" that's tied to PCM vin. What else is there?

Say you wreck your car, blow the bags and insurance says its totaled

You want to fix it..... Zack answered the question,... What do you do??????

In these cars, before Can-Bus, not a lot, the PCM, the DERM and DDM if the car has one is about it. When you get into the cars that are all or almost all Can-Bus, then about everything, from door switches, radios, back up sensors, instrument clusters, HVAC controls, seat sensors, certain trim level options etc.

They could not do it even with IDS

Then the operator did not know what he was doing, I have dealt with 3 dealers pertaining to items we wanted turned on or off, got multipul answers, mostly saying it couldn't be done, it was cost effective for us with a fleet off 200+ late model Ford's, so I now have one.