PDA

View Full Version : Looking for my First Marauder, Any Advice?

BigRix
08-22-2016, 06:09 AM
I am a long time auto tech who now travels the country teaching other techs how to fix cars.

I first thought I wanted a P71 but I don't think I can find one that is in good enough shape. (Even though I can fix anything wrong with the car, I don't have the time or inclination for a major overhaul.)

I have always lusted for the Marauder but didn't come back around to one until recently.

I'm looking for a relatively stock model that is rust free and has lots of miles left in her as I will need to use it weekly to drive back and forth to the Phoenix airport (2 hours) with the occasional 6-7 hour road trip out of state.

Any suggestions where to look, what to look for in a good car and more importantly, what to avoid?

Thanks in advance
FNG Rick

Turbov6Bryan
08-22-2016, 06:18 AM
If at all possible try and find a 04. They have a few items that are better quality than a 03. Like paint, axles, spark plug threads ect

In no way would those out weigh buying a 03, they are both awesome cars

Try search tempest. It's all Craigslist ads, and you can set your zip code vs miles depending on how far your willing to drive

There are 4 marauder colors, blue, silver, burgundy, and black.... Choose wisely!!

http://www.searchtempest.com/search?location=64055&maxDist=3500&region_us=1&region_can=1&region_mex=1&search_string=Mercury+marauder +&keytype=adv&Region=na&cityselect=zip&page=0&category=8&subcat=sss&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max&minYear=min&maxYear=max

RubberCtyRauder
08-22-2016, 06:54 AM
I would look and watch for members cars for sale thru this site, Many can vouch for the seller or have seen it or are close enough to go look at it for you. You will most likely have to travel to find one based on your location. Worthwhile mods that are better than stock are a tune,(much better shifting than factory shift) rear control arms and watts link upgrades, gear swap, but you may wish to stay at 3.55 due to travelling

What sort of price range are you trying to stay between.?There are under $5 k cars here that need work to $30k+ cars that have a host of high HP mods all done and proven out.

Fastbob
08-22-2016, 07:05 AM
Fly to ICT and you can drive my 2004 Silver Birch with a sunroof home. 29,XXX miles and ready to go. Bring about 15 grand with you.

1Marauder
08-23-2016, 06:45 AM
Fly to ICT and you can drive my 2004 Silver Birch with a sunroof home. 29,XXX miles and ready to go. Bring about 15 grand with you.

^^^^
And this FTW....
Take your time and buy the best, lowest mile car you can find. Be ready to jump when your Maraduer picks you. It is cheaper and less expensive to buy one fully done --than it is to do it yourself. Decide what you really want - and start looking for it!

You can post up in cars WANTED and members will PM you to sell quietly. I still lament losing out on one in La Jolla CA to an east coaster. Since you can travel (as I did) you can make it an EPIC bucket list type trip to buy and bring it home. I drove Route 66 both times and recieved compliments the entire trip.

Read up on the FIX it Threads here--to learn things to look for, or things that are ok; such as bad inner tire on stock tires - while bad - is normal and there is a car fixer alignment.

Many owners drove these daily and they are/were normal cars, but some babied these beyond measure. My two hadn't been rained on for many years before I bought them, and haven't since (I live in sunny CA-so not a big deal here).

Many people LOVE the 03 300A--so again--it is all your preference.

Some have posted they want a "low mile ,supercharged, spotless Marauder" and while they got flamed by some members in the thread, they ended up with exactly what they wanted, from a member looking to sell -- but not wanting the hassle.

Arizona and Florida have the demographics to support low mile, good climate, elderly owners. Search there!

Spectragod
08-23-2016, 07:16 AM
Or fly into Dayton, pick up my 24k mile DTR, with a 5.0 and a twin screw, and a lot of supporting mods. If you need 500+ at the wheels, this may be the answer for you, but it will take 35k to make it happen

fastblackmerc
08-23-2016, 08:32 AM
Bugsy just posted his for sale. It's in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

Spectragod
08-23-2016, 09:59 AM

^^^this^^^, Bugsy's is a nice ride.....

Sent from my iPhone while doing a big ole' smokey burnout in my wife's Prius.

BigRix
08-23-2016, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the replys. I'm starting to put together a plan and get an idea of how much money I need to raise. It's looking like nice ones can be had in the $7500 range. Although more is not out of the question. My plan is to sell off some of my gun/ammo collection after the election and do my shopping after I have the money.

I think a hunt for a clean, pampered car is what I want. I'll have to look into what something like a tune and 4.10 gears do to highway mileage. Otherwise stock gears are preferred.

Spectragod
08-23-2016, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the replys. I'm starting to put together a plan and get an idea of how much money I need to raise. It's looking like nice ones can be had in the $7500 range. Although more is not out of the question. My plan is to sell off some of my gun/ammo collection after the election and do my shopping after I have the money.

I think a hunt for a clean, pampered car is what I want. I'll have to look into what something like a tune and 4.10 gears do to highway mileage. Otherwise stock gears are preferred.

If Hillary doesn't win you'll be spending less then??

Sent from my iPhone while doing a big ole' smokey burnout in my wife's Prius.

Turbov6Bryan
08-23-2016, 01:47 PM

Hell Obama will call for martial law just to stay in office, and then they will come take your guns for free :)

There has been a few really nice cars with great price tags come up in the past 2 years that IVE been looking. Some were REALLY good deals!

Have your money ready bud, if it's a smokin deal they sell in under 5 minutes of being posted up.

Got a 100 year old colt m1911 for sale?

Bluerauder
08-23-2016, 02:53 PM
Any suggestions where to look, what to look for in a good car and more importantly, what to avoid?

Stay away from the ones with 26 inch wheels and bleacher seat spoilers. :P

Mr. Man
08-23-2016, 02:56 PM
Yup, I'd be taking a close look at this one myself, if I didn't have a Marauder or two already.:cool:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=102311

justbob
08-23-2016, 04:03 PM
From my experience low mileage and pampered cars are more prone to break once they're actually driven..

Some are fourteen years old now. What's your idea of low mileage?

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk

Marauderman
08-23-2016, 04:48 PM
Stay away from the ones with 26 inch wheels and bleacher seat spoilers. :P

Charlie---your ....."bleacher seat spoilers"....has me LMAO....that's is one I will keep for reference for a long time--thanks!!

Carry on yall

1Marauder
08-24-2016, 11:39 PM
Charlie---your ....."bleacher seat spoilers"....has me LMAO....that's is one I will keep for reference for a long time--thanks!!

Carry on yall

I don't get it, someone please pm me and s'plain it to me?

Ms. Denmark
08-25-2016, 02:12 AM
I don't get it, someone please pm me and s'plain it to me? It's shaped like a bleacher seat.

Bluerauder
08-25-2016, 04:07 AM
It's shaped like a bleacher seat.

And can seat six !!

Turbov6Bryan
08-25-2016, 04:07 AM
I don't get it, someone please pm me and s'plain it to me?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-kGE-5PbRjxM/VXLTZc21KFI/AAAAAAAAwf0/GVIG97eVwuY/s640/cook-spoilers-eating-cars-table.jpg

Also known as the picnic table

Fastbob
08-25-2016, 06:05 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-kGE-5PbRjxM/VXLTZc21KFI/AAAAAAAAwf0/GVIG97eVwuY/s640/cook-spoilers-eating-cars-table.jpg

Also known as the picnic table Best thing to eat off of those is "Rice a Roni".

bugsyc
08-25-2016, 08:47 AM
Move to Myrtle Beach and buy mine.:)

Marauderman
08-25-2016, 06:01 PM

Hey Bugsy--where is your ad posted?

bugsyc
08-26-2016, 05:45 AM
It's posted where it should be.Marauders for sale..03 300A....Are you interested Marauderman??PM me..I have someone coming over today to take a look..

risky
08-26-2016, 06:52 PM
Mine will be up for sale soon. I will post details on another thread. It haves an eaton supercharge

slickster
08-26-2016, 09:54 PM
Download craigslist pro. The one for $1.99 sends you notifications of new listings in any city/state you choose. Oem motor craft oil filter is a big plus. Also check for timing noise. When you find one let us know so we could further assist. For $7500 you could find one with around 100k miles in good shape! Just might take some time and traveling. Oh front tires wear on the inside badly

BigRix
08-28-2016, 11:06 AM
Any thoughts on the Crown Vic Sport vs Marauder?

I'm finding them harder to find on craigslist and almost the same money in some cases.

Turbov6Bryan
08-28-2016, 12:31 PM

I'm finding them harder to find on craigslist and almost the same money in some cases.

Marauder seats are more comfortable than the Vic
And everything else that makes a marauder a marauder not a Vic

There's like 50 things why the marauder is better, same amount of money go for the marauder DUH :)

BAD MERC
08-28-2016, 01:04 PM
If you find one near me (Charlotte, Collier, Lee County Florida) I will personally inspect it and look with great detail and scrutiny. I have two 2004's and wish I had more.

Ms. Denmark
08-28-2016, 02:04 PM

Well since you're asking a bunch of unabashedly avowed Marauder lovers, most of us will tell you a CV Sport is no Marauder. Two different animals. If you can, go out and drive one of each and the difference will be apparent. Then it's just personal preference.

BAD MERC
08-28-2016, 02:15 PM
Well since you're asking a bunch of unabashedly avowed Marauder lovers, most of us will tell you a CV Sport is no Marauder. Two different animals. If you can, go out and drive one of each and the difference will be apparent. Then it's just personal preference.

WWWWW.... HWAAAAATTTTT!?!?!?! But they cast the same shadow and have a floor shifter. It's close though, right? With bumper covers and a rear light panel it's the same thing. ****Heavy sarcasm and disdain for clones****

Ms. Denmark
08-28-2016, 02:52 PM
WWWWW.... HWAAAAATTTTT!?!?!?! But they cast the same shadow and have a floor shifter. It's close though, right? With bumper covers and a rear light panel it's the same thing. ****Heavy sarcasm and disdain for clones****
Yup! It's just like the difference between the Tilted Kilt Girls on the billboards and the one's at Tilted Kilt. They wear the same kilts and they all have boobs. :dunno: It's close enough. With the right pushup bra and after a few brewskies it's the same thing! Love how that works! :D

justbob
08-28-2016, 03:22 PM

My thoughts? Funny!

Is this actually a question or a joke?

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk

BigRix
08-28-2016, 06:01 PM
Not a joke.

I'm exploring which Panther is right for me. Would I love a Marauder, you bet. Are there alternatives that would better suite my needs? I don't know. I'm still in the early research phases where I don't even know the right questions let alone the right answers.

KIRK343
09-01-2016, 06:57 AM
Take a look at my 03 in the for sale section of this site.