PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using an aftermarket fan controller

Logizyme
08-29-2016, 10:34 AM
Background; 03 Eaton swapped. Start to overheat after about 10-15 minutes full blast on the road coarse. No issues with street driving. Not full blast overheating, just slowly rising as a result of the cooling system unable to keep up with the engines output. 170* Reishce t-stat, P71 oil cooler MartyO remote tune.

On the street, coolant temps will first rise to the 170, stay for a little while, then rise to the 185-95, unless I am cruising the freeway, where it may stay closer to 170, oil temps stay about the same. All of which makes sense since everyone I have talked to says the Panther fan cannot be reprogrammed to a different temp.

On the track first oil temps will rise over 200, then coolant temp begin rising over 200, at which point I back it down to 7/10 for a few laps and she cools back down.

So anyway, I am working on a few other projects to help the cooling issue (improved intercooler, CAI, ect) but was thinking about replacing the fan controller with an aftermarket controller with a coolant sensor that I would likely mount on the t-stat housing or coolant inlet.

Anyone using one they like? tried any that did not work well? another thought? I would love to setup the fan to run at a proper 170-180 temps.

Zack
08-29-2016, 10:57 AM
You can't get better than stock. It keeps the fan on high until it the temp comes down to the 'low' speed temp.

Sounds like your Heat pump (i mean eaton) is causing the heat. Not much you can do besides a Killer Chiller

Logizyme
08-29-2016, 11:16 AM
Right, but there are aftermarket controllers which have more adjustability than that, and that can be set to come on with temperatures that would match my t-stat, and I could mount the sensor at the engine inlet, rather than the outlet to get even better coolant temps.