PDA

View Full Version : Slowpoke needs assistance!

Slowpoke
05-23-2004, 09:07 AM
I was outside with my son this morning feeding the local ducks and took this picture of two ducks I'll refer to as "Todd" [on the laft] and "Marty [on the right].

What kind of ducks are these??? Any unusual facts about them??

I know nothing about ducks but need lots of interesting tidbits for the old people in the building who are nosey and want to know why me and the boy feed them.

any and all tidbits of information are welcome!

martyo
05-23-2004, 09:15 AM
Wanna buy a duck??

mpearce
05-23-2004, 09:19 AM
I could be completely wrong, so don't quote me on this! This is just a hypothesis...

I believe they are "Mallards" I also think their color denotes their gender. I can't remember which one is which...but I think the Green one is the Male, and the Speckled one is the Female. Logically then, they could possibly be mates. If they are anything like the Goose, or the Dove, they do mate for life, so if one gets killed, or taken away from the other somehow, it's curtians for the remaining bird. i.e. depression, seclusion, etc. Tell the old people in the building that those ducks are mates, and need the food you give them. That should keep them busy for a while. Hope that helps a little.

-Mat

MAD-3R's Wife
05-23-2004, 09:42 AM
^^What he said^^.

We have lots of Mallards here in Virginia and Mat is correct.

CRUZTAKER
05-23-2004, 09:46 AM
Yup! Pair of Mallards....;)

Silver_04
05-23-2004, 10:40 AM
That's ironic. I came out of work the other day and there were two Mallards hanging out by the Marauder. I think they were checking themselves out in the wheels.

SergntMac
05-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Mallards preen a lot...

SergntMac
05-23-2004, 12:26 PM
But they are still ducks...

Patrick
05-23-2004, 03:08 PM
Wanna buy a duck??

Never can have too many. How much??
:lol:

MM03MOK
05-23-2004, 04:17 PM
"Todd" [on the laft] and "Marty [on the right].How come Marty gets to be the girl??

Hack Goby
05-23-2004, 04:48 PM
mallard ( http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/birds/printouts/Mallardprintout.shtml) Maybe this will help.

glassman99
05-23-2004, 05:43 PM
They both started out brown. One upgraded to a "high performance" head. :banana2:

Ladyhawke
05-23-2004, 06:14 PM
How come Marty gets to be the girl??

Good question!

Slowpoke
05-23-2004, 06:19 PM
thanks for all your help - i now know all i need to know!

junehhan
05-23-2004, 07:12 PM
I could be completely wrong, so don't quote me on this! This is just a hypothesis...

I believe they are "Mallards" I also think their color denotes their gender. I can't remember which one is which...but I think the Green one is the Male, and the Speckled one is the Female. Logically then, they could possibly be mates. If they are anything like the Goose, or the Dove, they do mate for life, so if one gets killed, or taken away from the other somehow, it's curtians for the remaining bird. i.e. depression, seclusion, etc. Tell the old people in the building that those ducks are mates, and need the food you give them. That should keep them busy for a while. Hope that helps a little.

-Mat

That is nice to know, as i've wondered about their mating habits. We have a lot of Mallards living on the green space over on the East Campus at UC by the college of nursing. Unfortunately, the grounds crew is always getting rid of them because people are complaining about them. They are absolutely beautiful to watch as I often toss them some of my lunch if they happen to be around...........

Ross
05-24-2004, 07:19 AM
Something about Todd and Marty mating for life... I don't think I want to go there... :confused:

ParkRanger
05-24-2004, 08:54 AM
If it looks like one...flies like one... and quacks like one ... it's probably a mallard. I like mine l'orange but Peking aint bad. This whole thing is making me Daffy.

PR :shot:

MERCMAN
05-24-2004, 09:20 AM
And whatever you do, don't step on it,, it makes a rather nasty sound!!!

O's Fan Rich
05-24-2004, 09:37 AM
Duck in orange sauce.
Wild duck is the best. it's less greasy. Although you may run into some shot pellets now and then, But as close as you got for that picture, you may be able to just reach down and grab them by the....
:eek:

BillyGman
05-24-2004, 10:37 AM
LOL..........a true hunter at heart.....

Mad1
05-24-2004, 10:58 AM
We have a flock of Mallards at my office. They seem to like the great big pond in front of our building.

Right now I'm watching out the window (editors have offices with windows on the ground floor!) as about 5 ducklings walking down to the water with 3 full-grown ducks gently herding them along.

As you can imagine, productivity in an office drops in relation to the proximity of the ducks to its particular window.

Jeremy
Mad1

P.S. It's rabbit season. ;) :rolleyes:

TripleTransAm
05-24-2004, 11:06 AM
So... how do they make Duck tape? Is it consider cruelty to animals to use some?

http://www.ducktapeclub.com/

jefferson-mo
05-24-2004, 11:30 AM
And whatever you do, don't step on it,, it makes a rather nasty sound!!!

AFLAC!

AFLAC!

:lol: