PDA

View Full Version : Ford FMX Trans Pan

ledzilla
10-04-2016, 10:53 AM
I'm planning to do a pan drop on my 78 LTD wagon before putting it away for the winter. I figured while I was at it I'd either replace the pan with a good aluminum pan with cooling fins and a drain plug, or just install a plug on the existing pan. However, I haven't had any luck in finding pans for the FMX trans. Plenty for the C4 and C6, though. According to the documention I dug up, the 351M in the LTD was mated with the FMX, and at best I'm only finding filters and pan gaskets, but no pans. So, does anyone know where to find a good pan for that trans? If not, are there any good quality drain plug kits out there that don't require welding?

junior
10-04-2016, 10:56 AM
The FMX is cooled thru the radiator. If your intent is to keep it cooler, an aftermarket cooler mounted to the radiator will work fine. I don't know that you need a drain plug unless you plan on changing the fluid as often as you change the oil.

ledzilla
10-04-2016, 12:34 PM
Yes, I know it cools through tje trans. It also looks to have the factory towing package and as such has an additional cooler. But for the most part I'm still in the process of restoration, and both the oil and trans pans don't look so great. I'd prefer to replace both pans with something better than stock, and I like how those pans look. Plus I'd like to be able to do pan drops without dumping fluid everywhere. So, either a replacement pan with a drain, or a good non-weld drain plug kit. And don't say anything about the trans fluid getting too much cooling. I don't plan to be driving it in the winter, and I'll be also installing a thermal bypass valve at some point just in case.

I do plan to be making upgrades to the engine in an attempt to increase power and low end torque. There's an ultimate plan to get a camper trailer and take road trips, and I'd prefer to have as efficient of cooling of the trans as I can get. The car was previously used to haul a boat, so I figure it can't hurt to upgrade its already decent towing capabilities.

fastblackmerc
10-04-2016, 12:49 PM
A google search provides a number of sources.

RF Overlord
10-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Was the FMX ever used in any trucks? I got a factory deep pan with drain plug for my '68 Buick as the TH400 was used in a lot of trucks.

ledzilla
10-04-2016, 12:58 PM
A google search provides a number of sources.
I have done some searches, but the results only turned up questions for the FMX, and actual pans for the C-4 and C-6 (other motors available in the LTD used either the C-4 or C-6, can't remember which now). I did find a diagram comparing the three transmissions, and they call have different pans. Could you give me a link with your search results, though? I can only guess my search terms were useless.

ledzilla
10-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Was the FMX ever used in any trucks? I got a factory deep pan with drain plug for my '68 Buick as the TH400 was used in a lot of trucks.
Not sure. I think it may have been used in the Bronco or F-100 for those using the 351M. Thought I saw something to that effect in some of my research on the car.