PDA

View Full Version : Radio Wiring

ledzilla
10-05-2016, 11:58 AM
Ok, again for my 78 LTD wagon, I was poking around at the audio system. It had an aftermarket Pioneer 8-track head unit installed. I'm installing an in-line FM modulator to hook up auxiliary audio, since my attempts at an 8-track adapter failed (couldn't position the audio head to transmit proper sound). So, poking around at the wiring behind the radio, it seemed rather off. The radio had four wires: red, black, green, grey. There was also a diagram attached pointing out which wire was which. However, the speaker wiring in the dash was confusing: two yellow, two red, nothing striped. In doing some research, this layout didn't make sense, it seemed like these were not the correct color wires.

I'm not certain about the stock radio, but the car is setup with four speakers (6" round in the front doors, 6"x9" in the cargo area), and only stereo wiring. When I saw the radio wiring hooked up, it seemed wrong. The red is power, connected correctly. Black is speaker common ground. Green and grey are the right/left channels, don't remember which is which. One of the channels was connected to both a red and yellow wire, the other channel was connected to yellow, and common ground connected to red (might have those last two swapped, but same concept).

I figure that before I install the modulator I might want to straighten out the speaker wiring. Now, I've never seen speaker wiring laid out like that in a car. There was always differently colored wires going to each speaker/side. Has anyone else seen a setup like that before? Just curious to have some info going in before I start tinkering and testing.